FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
why is the AMA for 1 asking members to hold off?
They feel their members are already registered -- since they ask them to affix a registration number. Also, they feel they deserve special treatment since they do not believe a model aircraft is an aircraft. See more here.

Ok, so what exactly is achieved by this? What do we "get" out of playing their game? I already have a means to contact me listed on my drone. Who does the enforcement? I work for a local police agency and I know that they have no plans (let alone authority) to enforce FAA regulations.

Sorry, I don't plan on playing.

***Unfortunately, the fines for not even registering if caught are $27,500 civil and $250,000 if criminal is involved. As uncomfortable as it sounds to register, $5.00 maybe a lot less painful in the end.

They feel their members are already registered -- since they ask them to affix a registration number. Also, they feel they deserve special treatment since they do not believe a model aircraft is an aircraft. See more here.
1.So if a fixed wing is a model and not an aircraft why wouldn't a quad be any different?
2. They have had #some for yrs, has it stopped dummies from being dumb?
3.this registration does nothing for safety directly.

Reactions: joe21
***Unfortunately, the fines for not even registering if caught are $27,500 civil and $250,000 if criminal is involved. As uncomfortable as it sounds to register, $5.00 maybe a lot less painful in the end.
....until you are the 1st in a law suit filed by a drone hater with your number. Lady gets $ for spilling coffee in her own lap.

Does anyone know if the FAA 333 exemption is transferrable? i.e., If you sell your LLC that obtained the exemption.

FAA Finally Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

The FAA finally confirmed this afternoon that model aircraft registrants’ names and home addresses will be public. In an email message, the FAA stated: “Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release names and address. When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches.”

I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of whether names and home addresses of model aircraft or hobby drone owners – including children as young as 13 – will be made available by the FAA to the public once the FAA’s new unmanned aircraft registry goes live on Monday. It seems a simple enough question. But it took a while to get a straight answer.

My confusion arose because of an apparent contradiction that a colleague pointed out to me between what the FAA stated in its FAQs on the new registration rule and what the Department of Transportation stated in a legal filing made at the same time as the FAA’s new rule was published. The FAA’s FAQs made it appear that only the FAA, its contractor and law enforcement agencies would have access to the data. Here is the FAA’s FAQ:

ADVERTISING
  1. Who can see the data that I can enter?
    A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data.

This led me – and many others I’ve spoken with – to believe that only these three entities would have access to registrants’ personal information. But my colleague pointed out that the DOT’s filing contained the following statement, “all records maintained by the FAA in connection with aircraft registered are included in the Aircraft Registry and made available to the public, except email address and credit card information submitted under part 48 [the new model aircraft registry].”In addition, the DOT statement says the name and address of model aircraft owners will be searchable by registration number.

Recommended by Forbes
So, I emailed DOT’s public affairs office to ask if they could clarify what information from the newly announced UAS registry will be made publicly available. Specifically I asked: “Will a hobby registrant’s name and home address be publicly releasable? Will the public be able to search the hobby registry for owner names and addresses by registration number?” I thought these were easy questions requiring simple yes or no answers. But apparently they weren’t that simple so my questions were referred to the FAA. An FAA spokesman wrote back: “Initially the Registration system will not have a public search function. The FAA plans to incorporate a search by registration number in the future. Names and addresses are protected by the Privacy Act. The FAA will handle disclosure of such information in accordance with the December 15, 2015 Federal Register notice.”

Not considering this a clear answer, I replied, “my reading of the DOT policy is that if someone requests the name and address of a drone registrant the information will be released by the FAA. I don’t want to misstate what the FAA would do so I would appreciate your confirmation.”

The FAA responded that it would have the Chief Counsel’s Office again review my request. It seems the third time was a charm and I got an answer that may not make many hobbyists very happy.

Fortunately for hobby flyers, the Academy of Model Aeronautics announced to its members yesterday that it’s exploring all legal and political means to stop the registry. In the meanwhile, it’s asking its members to hold off registering. If you’re concerned about what data will be made publicly available, you might consider holding off registering to give the AMA a chance.

Reactions: aka1ceman
All RC aircraft are affected if they weigh between .55 and 55 pounds, there's a recently updated FAQ on the FAA Registry landing page that explains it. The FAA is updating these FAQs on a daily basis to assist owners with questions. Also, remember you can mark it on the battery, provided the battery compartment doesn't require tools to access, so on the Phantom just put the number on the battery.

Really, this is not a big deal. This was bound to happen because of idiots flying drones. It always comes down to a few who ruin it for the rest. It is not about "Big Brother" overseeing everything we do nor is the intent to purposely deny us our "freedoms". There will not be any "Compliance Police" knocking at your door demanding to see if you registered your drone. But if you are stupid or deliberate about flying it where it should not then you may be held responsible/accountable for your questionable decisions. I'll affix the registration number to my 2 drones and fly & enjoy as I have for 2 yrs now.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Ok, so what exactly is achieved by this? What do we "get" out of playing their game? I already have a means to contact me listed on my drone. Who does the enforcement? I work for a local police agency and I know that they have no plans (let alone authority) to enforce FAA regulations.

Sorry, I don't plan on playing.

Police agencies will have access to the database through the FAA. Law enforcement was represented in the task force for registration.

Really, this is not a big deal. This was bound to happen because of idiots flying drones. It always comes down to a few who ruin it for the rest. It is not about "Big Brother" overseeing everything we do nor is the intent to purposely deny us our "freedoms". There will not be any "Compliance Police" knocking at your door demanding to see if you registered your drone. But if you are stupid or deliberate about flying it where it should not then you may be held responsible/accountable for your questionable decisions. I'll affix the registration number to my 2 drones and fly & enjoy as I have for 2 yrs now.
If your so confident, just post your # on the site here. Putting it on your drone will be the same. Let's put our money where our mouths are .

FAA Finally Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

The FAA finally confirmed this afternoon that model aircraft registrants’ names and home addresses will be public. In an email message, the FAA stated: “Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release names and address. When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches.”

I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of whether names and home addresses of model aircraft or hobby drone owners – including children as young as 13 – will be made available by the FAA to the public once the FAA’s new unmanned aircraft registry goes live on Monday. It seems a simple enough question. But it took a while to get a straight answer.

My confusion arose because of an apparent contradiction that a colleague pointed out to me between what the FAA stated in its FAQs on the new registration rule and what the Department of Transportation stated in a legal filing made at the same time as the FAA’s new rule was published. The FAA’s FAQs made it appear that only the FAA, its contractor and law enforcement agencies would have access to the data. Here is the FAA’s FAQ:

ADVERTISING
  1. Who can see the data that I can enter?
    A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data.
This led me – and many others I’ve spoken with – to believe that only these three entities would have access to registrants’ personal information. But my colleague pointed out that the DOT’s filing contained the following statement, “all records maintained by the FAA in connection with aircraft registered are included in the Aircraft Registry and made available to the public, except email address and credit card information submitted under part 48 [the new model aircraft registry].”In addition, the DOT statement says the name and address of model aircraft owners will be searchable by registration number.

Recommended by Forbes
So, I emailed DOT’s public affairs office to ask if they could clarify what information from the newly announced UAS registry will be made publicly available. Specifically I asked: “Will a hobby registrant’s name and home address be publicly releasable? Will the public be able to search the hobby registry for owner names and addresses by registration number?” I thought these were easy questions requiring simple yes or no answers. But apparently they weren’t that simple so my questions were referred to the FAA. An FAA spokesman wrote back: “Initially the Registration system will not have a public search function. The FAA plans to incorporate a search by registration number in the future. Names and addresses are protected by the Privacy Act. The FAA will handle disclosure of such information in accordance with the December 15, 2015 Federal Register notice.”

Not considering this a clear answer, I replied, “my reading of the DOT policy is that if someone requests the name and address of a drone registrant the information will be released by the FAA. I don’t want to misstate what the FAA would do so I would appreciate your confirmation.”

The FAA responded that it would have the Chief Counsel’s Office again review my request. It seems the third time was a charm and I got an answer that may not make many hobbyists very happy.

Fortunately for hobby flyers, the Academy of Model Aeronautics announced to its members yesterday that it’s exploring all legal and political means to stop the registry. In the meanwhile, it’s asking its members to hold off registering. If you’re concerned about what data will be made publicly available, you might consider holding off registering to give the AMA a chance.
Good informational post.

Just remember what caused this. People doing stupid things with their drones, like flying in restricted airspace (the White House). And dangerous things, like flying too close to passenger aircraft. Does anyone need to fly a drone at 4000 feet? I used to be able to fly my drone around my house. However, the 25 km limit around the White Hose now encompasses my neighborhood. I was OK when it was 15 km.

If I could build a nice home to retire in made of useless and stupid posts in this thread , it would be a doosy
What's really funny is that the NSA can look at every person's info on here due to their ability to track every keystroke we make. Doesn't mean they will. Doesn't mean they won't. [emoji15]

Sent from my PT beating heart

according to the verbiage, the number gets generated via the website.
According to the regs when you register on line they will provide you with certificate and number at that time. The certificate must be with you when you're flying. Hard copy or electronic. The number must be on the craft.

It would do two things. First, most people are going to make a conscious effort to fly safer since they know their drone is tagged with their registration number. Second, for those who cannot figure out how to fly safely, they will be easily contactable to remedy whatever accident they caused -- and, either educated or prohibited from flying again. Unfortunately, a black box does not tell you who is flying a drone.

I'm trying to follow your logic here. You wrote the above in response to a "This [Registration] does not make it safer" comment.

Injury/harm happens from two possible causes - intentional or accidental. Dumb actions can fall into either category, although they almost always increase the changes of injury.

Let's take accidental. That would typically include operator error or equipment malfunction. I don't think anyone would argue that registration (or even education) would eliminate possibility of an accident. An accident, by definition, is an accident. The only way to eliminate the possibility is to eliminate the activity.

Then there is intentional. Let's break that down into two types... 1. Someone who plans to harm someone else. and 2. Someone doing something they know they shouldn't but doesn't think it will result in harm.

The first group - I think we can agree that registration will not prevent someone from intentionally harming someone else. That's the case even if they register. More likely they will not register. If they do, it is simply enough to not include their number on their craft.

That leaves the "uneducated." I agree that education can HELP to prevent these problems. However, the registration effort currently included NO education of any kind. If actually includes no additional rules of any kind. The same FAA "guidelines" are still in place. There is the problem that these are circulated as guidelines, with an understanding they are not enforceable. (what IS the penalty for flying at 401ft? How do they enforce it?)

With all the publicity surrounding drones, it is hard to believe that these people don't know what the rules are. Common sense would tell anyone not to fly near an active airport or close to aircraft. We shouldn't need rules for that because anyone who does it is the type of person who wouldn't follow such obvious rules in the first place.

Rules with clearly defined penalties would do something to stop SOME of these flyers. Those rules, however, have nothing to do with registration.

Whether or not you agree with the registration plan, it simply has ZERO effect on safety. At most, it will allow the _owner_ (not necessarily operator) to be tracked down when a)drone is registered, b)drone is recovered, c)registration number is placed on device, d)registration number is readable after recovery.

Even in that rare situation where all the stars align and the unsafe flyer is found, that can only happen AFTER the incident. In no way can it PREVENT the incident.

You can argue that registration makes for better accountability (in a small percentage of situations). You can revoke a registration when an infraction occurs. However, that all takes place AFTER the unsafe act has already occurred. There is no argument for registration alone (which is all we have) making anything safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT