FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently seen that for some reason DOT is also somehow now involved and they have stated they will make the drone operators information public. I can see it now, some group that hates drones gets several hundred drone operators information and starts a hate campaign against them, flood their email and what ever else.if the FAA will write into the rules that drone operators information can only be obtained by Law Enforcement conducting an investigation I am all for it. Like all rules and policies this will just hurt the honest drone operators and the ones that do all the dumb stuff that has caused these rules to come around will not register and continue to do the dumb stuff. Safe flying to all.

So true. Haha. Next time you see someone flying, ask to see their registration documents (on a side note, is anyone allowed to ask anyone else for their registration???) write down their number on your quad. This is so crazy. People's numbers will be written in sharpie, its not like they will be giving out official license plates. I really fail to see how this scheme is going to help anything, in any way.
I agree that it might not the best way to mitigate a risk, but not sure what would have worked better. I do think it will make a difference, particularly in the cases where someone that's just basically irresponsible about operation of their drone. Up until this point, a person that operated in the NAS (pilot) was subject to a ton of learning, about airspace and regulations. But now with the advent of drones, anyone can throw themselves into the NAS with no understanding of the rules whatsoever. For those of us that are responsible owners and operators, this registration will have no affect whatsoever. Just log into the site and register (free for the first 30 days). We will never hear anything more about it. But for those that are clueless out of the gate, the registration requirement will educate them about the safety guidelines and the risks of operating outside of those guidelines, and hopefully prevent them from doing something dumb and giving the rest of us a bad name.

I recently seen that for some reason DOT is also somehow now involved and they have stated they will make the drone operators information public. I can see it now, some group that hates drones gets several hundred drone operators information and starts a hate campaign against them, flood their email and what ever else.if the FAA will write into the rules that drone operators information can only be obtained by Law Enforcement conducting an investigation I am all for it. Like all rules and policies this will just hurt the honest drone operators and the ones that do all the dumb stuff that has caused these rules to come around will not register and continue to do the dumb stuff. Safe flying to all.
I agree, but can tell you that the information can't be made public because it's contrary to the statute for online data collection. In fact, the agency is denying all FOIA requests for the data, it has already been attempted, so it seems they're very serious about keeping this information private.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Exactly.

Accountability is _reactive_. You can only hold someone accountable AFTER they break a rule. Registration does nothing to prevent a rule being broken.

I am glad you have seen the light on this.
The FAA has changed it's position on accountability in recent years, they refer to it as the new compliance philosophy. This is evident in the way that they have been applying it's enforcement on the manned aircraft side. They no longer want to hammer aviators for mistakes, rather, they have discovered that the majority of non-compliance with regulations is inadvertent, pilots just made mistakes. So, they're new compliance philosophy uses education as their primary tool for ensuring compliance, and this new registration requirement is aligned with this new approach. They want to use education in the registration process as an opportunity to advise drone pilots of the AMA safety guidelines (which the FAA has adopted). I really think that if every drone pilot were a member of AMA, there would be no need for the registration rules.

.....yes there are also over 10,000 reported UFO sightings.... does that mean they are real? could many of them be govt contractors not reported to general public?(1 of which Ive done work for)

.....what does this do for safety?? nothing

By registering, what has it taught about anything for safety??? nothing

... the same "operators involved in nefarious activity" will NOT register. explain why would they.

Then wait till its right to use it. Not cause a quagmire meanwhile allowing to expose innocent people to law suits, with No protection to the pilot.

Insurance would do more to protect the innocent, and harmed in the case of an accident. Sounds like FAA has done nothing for safety or protecting people. Just a database that good people will pay to be on a public list that AMA doesnt want with such a decent safety record.
Guys I'm on your side, we are not the problem. But there are many new owners out there who have no idea of the potential impact of flying an aircraft in the National Airspace System. They fly their drones without regard for manned aircraft in the system, because they don't have any idea what the safety guidelines are. They are not members of AMA, and have no idea of the AMA rules. Registration is a vehicle that will require them to acknowledge that they have read and understand the AMA safety guidelines, it's part of the registration process. Once they register, FAA then has a method (email) where they can periodically remind them of the safety guidelines, and the legal requirement under Section 336 of operating within those guidelines. So this is proactive accountability through education. I already know what the guidelines are and follow them as published. Being a manned aircraft pilot I also understand the potential impact of those drone operators that don't know them. So I'm glad something is being done to reach out to those uneducated operators. I plan on registering Monday morning for free and be done with it. I expect that that is the last I will ever hear from anyone at the FAA about it, since I operate on my own property I will never see anyone asking me for my registration certificate, I'll probably forget all about it after Monday.

I agree, but can tell you that the information can't be made public because it's contrary to the statute for online data collection. In fact, the agency is denying all FOIA requests for the data, it has already been attempted, so it seems they're very serious about keeping this information private.
Morning TeamAmtrak, I would hope so but I worked for the government and my personal information was hacked and also sold, all by the 3rd party vendors that they are now using, that is a major concern of mine. Trust me, it's a living hell once your identity has been stolen, it never ends and you get endless calls. The best thing I did was LifeLock which I will have to keep for life. Anyway I am not against the rules/registration. I just want the FAA to place in the rules that the drone operators information will not be made public and only law enforcement can see it while conducting an investigation. I just got my drone back from DJI yesterday, had the error file problem with it so if the wind dies down looking forward to some flight time. Safe flying to all.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Morning TeamAmtrak, I would hope so but I worked for the government and my personal information was hacked and also sold, all by the 3rd party vendors that they are now using, that is a major concern of mine. Trust me, it's a living hell once your identity has been stolen, it never ends and you get endless calls. The best thing I did was LifeLock which I will have to keep for life. Anyway I am not against the rules/registration. I just want the FAA to place in the rules that the drone operators information will not be made public and only law enforcement can see it while conducting an investigation. I just got my drone back from DJI yesterday, had the error file problem with it so if the wind dies down looking forward to some flight time. Safe flying to all.
Yes.... very true. Perhaps I'm drinking too much of the cool aid! Information can always be hacked, especially when you consider a "best value" contract, which is what the government always seems to use. They wouldn't have this problem if Amazon.com were the contractor for drone registration. I also have the identity protection, because my info was also hacked several years ago. Wish we could live in a perfect world! Happy Flying!

gistration will cause owners to acknowledge safety guidelines in an effort to reduce the risk of these aircraft mixing with manned aircraft.

That whole registration thing really put an end to drunk driving didn't it? How about hit and runs? Using cars for a getaway in robberies? Speeding? Illegal lanes changes? Etc... etc....

Reactions: Tricky
So, they're new compliance philosophy uses education as their primary tool for ensuring compliance, and this new registration requirement is aligned with this new approach. They want to use education in the registration process as an opportunity to advise drone pilots of the AMA safety guidelines (which the FAA has adopted). I really think that if every drone pilot were a member of AMA, there would be no need for the registration rules.

How does registration = education? Admittedly the registration process is not yet publicly available. From the looks of it, there will be an "enter your info here" to receive a certificate by email (or something similar). Nothing educational about that, unless you consider "learning how to make sure you receive the credit on your statement" as education. Maybe they will have some text similar to those software license agreements and ask you to check a box stating you agreed to the terms. How many of those agreements have you read? People gloss over that that - virtually no one reads it.

But here's the thing... any "education" in the registration process is redundant. How can they educate you during the process unless you know about the process? In other words, they first have to inform you about the process before they use the process to inform you! Why not skip the middle man and simply educate the public on the rules? Again, registration is unnecessary and does nothing to promote safety. If education is the goal, then educate. Don't waste your time educating about a process which will sneak in some education.

I won't get into how far off the mark AMA is on this topic. "I really think" any drone owner who joins the AMA is hurting themselves.

Neither. 400ft is a guideline. Not a limit.

That's the other half of the issue. Apparently the registration process can only educate people about "suggestions" they need to follow if they feel like it. Having actual _rules_ with defined penalties makes considerably more sense than a list of optional "suggestions." A system of optional guidelines allows the "reckless" behavior that everyone seems to believe is rampant, which only leads to the desire for stricter rules. If "education" or "agreement to the rules" is the goal of registration, they should have created actual rules before implementing registration.

......... as far as registration goes, it does nothing for safety at all. Come on really? email? That's as easy as adding FAA to your junk mail folder, you'll never see it.

Although I'm not doing backflips over it, if I was forced to have a choice to increase safety for everyone... It will be more along the lines done at a state level very similar to a hunter safety course, or a boating course. At least at this level, there will be classroom time for education, possible videos, and possible hands on training.

The registration..... I think might have a few good points if they are smart enough to figure it out and evolve for safety reasons. First of all these kids that have been given a quad or even larger because their parents are rolling in the money etc. yet they are also too stupid to come to reality and just give the kids what they want. The point I am trying to get at is the safety side of things. I am hoping that they will limit models with cetain distances etc. or some perameters from being flown by individuals that shouldn't have huge or long range copters. I honestly think that we might be heading towards licencing the pilots as technology gets better. I am all for it, if it comes to keeping people safe from individuals that shouldn't be flying. It is liek the APP that the FAA has in the works "B4UFLY" heck honestly I think along with registration you should also have this APP registered in your name. Unless you are they type that doesn't really truly care about safety of others around you. We all need to work together to make this happen safely. It would be a true ***** if you were in a plane and you were one of those peeps that said "piss on them I am not doing any of it and I will fly where I want too!" , then be the one in the plane and the captain comes on the loud speaker and said "get ready we are going down! we sucked a drone into one of the engines" Call it Carma! My only fear is handing over your flight logs and being busted for exceeding elevation. Other than that I am all good. On another aspect of this and now how the copters are under FAA, it would be an assumption that if an individual were to shoot a quad from the sky they would also be held accountable for their actions by federal law. With that being said it shouldn't give some flying pedophile/pervert rights to invade someones privacy either.

G

Last edited:
I am all for registration as well, I just don't like the idea that my Name, Address, and phone number will be made publicly available.

Reactions: edge00
Took my P3P back to BestBuy yesterday.
I'm going to wait this out for a couple months (or longer) and see how it all shakes out....
I've got stuff I can fly indoors at the local gym. I've also got RC planes, but that will be waiting until the spring anyway. And if I end up having to register to fly my fixed wings ????? Not sure.

I am all for registration as well, I just don't like the idea that my Name, Address, and phone number will be made publicly available.

That will suck for sure! Just remember how many will have binoculars to see your tail number? Also hope for a long # it will be harder for them to remember as you fly by... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor