FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am all for registration as well, I just don't like the idea that my Name, Address, and phone number will be made publicly available.
.....and this is why I'm looking into a way if possible to register the quad in a LLC or some kind of trust. This would also help against stupid law suits.

.....and this is why I'm looking into a way if possible to register the quad in a LLC or some kind of trust. This would also help against stupid law suits.
Very good point, next thing will be required to have insurance incase of causing an accident... Back to the safety thing and letting unexperienced twerps fly stuff they shouldn't. I had a guy here at work that told me he perchased a p3 for his 10 year old kid! That truly torx me bad, because they truly are not a toy and there needs to be some kind of governing guidline pertaining to type of copter you can fly. It truly is no difference than letting a single prop pilot hop into a commercial 747 jumbo jet. After saying that I do want to thank the FAA for having guidlines to keep all of us travelers safe aswell as all the people on the ground underneith them!

Took my P3P back to BestBuy yesterday.
I'm going to wait this out for a couple months (or longer) and see how it all shakes out....
I've got stuff I can fly indoors at the local gym. I've also got RC planes, but that will be waiting until the spring anyway. And if I end up having to register to fly my fixed wings ????? Not sure.
As of now, certain fixed wing RC aircraft fit the FAA definition requiring registration. Read the regs to determine if your aircraft qualifies. If so, and you have flown the AC previous to January 21, FAA requires you to obtain a registration number and mark any conforming AC by February 19

Last edited:
Neither. 400ft is a guideline. Not a limit.
That's my understanding as well, 400 feet reduces the risk of conflict with manned aircraft, manned aircraft have to comply with 14 CFR Part 91.119 which states that they can't fly below 500 feet in non-congested areas, and 1,000 feet in congested areas. Of course, near airports they would fly lower for the purposes of take off and landing.

The FAA wants you to wait until you get your papers before you fly again but also give you till the 21st of Jan. Who is to say if I have registered or not? So I can legally fly till the 21st? Right?

Very good point, next thing will be required to have insurance incase of causing an accident... Back to the safety thing and letting unexperienced twerps fly stuff they shouldn't. I had a guy here at work that told me he perchased a p3 for his 10 year old kid! That truly torx me bad, because they truly are not a toy and there needs to be some kind of governing guidline pertaining to type of copter you can fly. It truly is no difference than letting a single prop pilot hop into a commercial 747 jumbo jet. After saying that I do want to thank the FAA for having guidlines to keep all of us travelers safe aswell as all the people on the ground underneith them!
I don't know the father so it's hard to say about the situation. I have allowed my 9 yr old fly mine but...monitored with instruction and on training mode. My kids have engaged in what could be a much more dangerous activity (prohibited to say here) but was only with supervision and training. A child including mine would have to learn the dangers and prove responsible. Is it possible at 10, yes but doubt it. Not a good idea.

Did you tell the dad he would be responsible for any activity his kid does?

Exactly.

Accountability is _reactive_. You can only hold someone accountable AFTER they break a rule. Registration does nothing to prevent a rule being broken.

Are you suggesting punishment doesn't act as a deterrent? Which alternate universe are you speaking of?

Heres another very important problem with your comparison......
Also there is a difference between a democracy and dictatorship. The US has checks and balances (democracy) to prevent 1 from becoming too powerful and doing more harm than good to its people as in a dictatorship.

I'm afraid you've lost me completely.

Back in this universe, for those wondering how the FAA will educate people about safety vis-a-vis the registration system: registration information will be provided at point of sale and in the box. With that will be the FAA's B4UFly information on dos and don'ts. When you register, the FAA will also provide further information on safe operations.

And again, this is but a first step. A drone operator's license is the next step and frankly it can't come soon enough. I dislike being lumped in with irresponsible and un-informed flyers. The sooner they are grounded, the better.

The only way to register your drone to a business will be through a commercial part 333 examption and an N registration. Both are typically numerous pages long and require lots of detailed information. Many hire lawyers to complete the process. Takes about 4 months to be approved. Every time you want to alter or maintain your drone, you will need to modify your registration which can take 90 days to be approved. You will only be able to fly under 200ft without a special COA filed and approved for each flight. On, and you need a pilot's license.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Are you suggesting punishment doesn't act as a deterrent? Which alternate universe are you speaking of?

I'm afraid you've lost me completely.
How long have we had laws with punishment, and people still break them.
I once had a locksmith explain 1 example that made a LOT of sense. ....
"Locks only keep honest people honest.":confused:

Back in this universe, for those wondering how the FAA will educate people about safety vis-a-vis the registration system: registration information will be provided at point of sale and in the box. With that will be the FAA's B4UFly information on dos and don'ts. When you register, the FAA will also provide further information on safe operations.

And again, this is but a first step. A drone operator's license is the next step and frankly it can't come soon enough. I dislike being lumped in with irresponsible and un-informed flyers. The sooner they are grounded, the better.

Separate flyers yes, but I don't see any proof that the dumb dumbs will end up grounded. Only flying un registered.

The only way to register your drone to a business will be through a commercial part 333 examption and an N registration. Both are typically numerous pages long and require lots of detailed information. Many hire lawyers to complete the process. Takes about 4 months to be approved. Every time you want to alter or maintain your drone, you will need to modify your registration which can take 90 days to be approved. You will only be able to fly under 200ft without a special COA filed and approved for each flight. On, and you need a pilot's license.
....I didn't necessarily say I wanted it to be used for commercial use.
There are situations that a "trust" can own a specific item and not be used for commercial uses. (We're not allowed to discuss it here)

And yes I have researched doing a 333 and have considered it. Just not sure it's worth it at this point.

How long have we had laws with punishment, and people still break them.
I once had a locksmith explain 1 example that made a LOT of sense. ....
"Locks only keep honest people honest.":confused:

Yes, you're right. Let's abandon all laws because a very small minority of people don't follow them.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yes, you're right. Let's abandon all laws because a very small minority of people don't follow them.
No, I did not say abandon all laws.
How about let's start with a law passed by someone allowed to write and pass laws.
2nd, how about writing a law that will not put innocent people at risk to law suits.

FAA= right idea but wrong solution.

I don't think that's what he's saying. He's making some valid points. Clearly there are those in favor of more rules and those who feel more rules accomplish nothing but cause honest people hardship. Instead of "abandoning all laws" or over regulating let's just enforce the ones we have and focus on getting the bad apples. How many laws and regulations will it take to achieve what you feel is "satisfactory"?

And even if that level was reached, would it really make a difference in the real world?

Reactions: aka1ceman
So your saying 'the purge' has begun? :eek:

I'm not sure why you always have to add something provocative to your replies. No, I do not write (not speak - this is a text based communication medium) of an alternative universe. It does seem your logic skills, however, are severely impaired. (About the same level of insult as your "universe" comment, so it must be allowed under the TOS.) Maybe we can tone down the sarcasm and communicate like we are not in grade school?

Yes, punishment acts as a deterrent. But isn't registration the subject of discussion? Your statements attempted to refute my assertion that registration does not equal safety.

Feel free to explain how punishment for non-registration is a deterrent for unsafe flying? It isn't. The punishment only serves to deter non-registration.

Punishment for unsafe flying will deter unsafe flying (a point I have attempted to make several times). Registration has NOTHING to do with that. Punishment for unsafe flying will be the same deterrent whether or not a registration scheme is in place.

I don't understand how you make these unfounded leaps between unrelated subjects.

I prefer to keep things on topic, However, since you are a moderator and have brought it up a few times, I would like to comment on your "wish" for testing and licensing of drone operators. Such an assertion is both selfish and unnecessary. You view it from your own little world as a pilot and, like many others in various hobbies and occupations, feel that you have some special entitlement to area you operate in (in this case the national airspace). Your view the topic is from a very narrow perspective.

Why not take your "idea' one step further. Why should we allow ANY recreational or private aircraft? They only clog up the airspace, create a safety concern and emit necessary CO2. I have read about many more private aircraft incidents with death and/or injury than I have about drone incidents. Maybe we should ratchet up the safety and training for these pilots - multi year government run classes with mandatory testing and recertification every six months. No more of this "privately owned" flight school. Let's also stop all the random flights and limit all recreational or private flights to two or three specific days each year. On those days you get to fly (with a government auditor sitting beside you) for up to one hour in a specially designated airspace. Over the ocean, not over land. All those private planes only endanger commercial flights. You have no "right" to the sky. Let's leave it to the big commercial operators.

Hyperbole, but it begs the (rhetorical) question - why is YOUR recreational pursuit more important than someone else's? I have seen it with more than a few groups who want exclusive access to an area and resent any other group sharing that space. Each refuses to share and will not compromise. In the end, the groups end up fighting amongst themselves, and everyone loses.

You have your mind set and refuse to see the other side. You are so set that you refuse to apply common sense logic to the discussion. Don't get me wrong... you are entitled to have a positive view of registration and I respect that view. Only disagree with the unreasonable and illogical justifications for this view. I like the color blue... I it because I like it. I don't try to claim that is is a "safer" or "better" color or that it cooks me dinner.

I agree, but can tell you that the information can't be made public because it's contrary to the statute for online data collection. In fact, the agency is denying all FOIA requests for the data, it has already been attempted, so it seems they're very serious about keeping this information private.
Then how do you explain this quote on page 148 of the 211 page FAA document?

"Additionally, as provided in the SORN, the general public will be able to search the part 48 registry database by the unique identifier. The name and address associated with that unique identifier will populate in accordance with that search."

...and that the FAA specifically declined in advance to prohibit all FOIA requests on the database, as requested by several organizations?

The FAA has changed it's position on accountability in recent years, they refer to it as the new compliance philosophy. This is evident in the way that they have been applying it's enforcement on the manned aircraft side. They no longer want to hammer aviators for mistakes, rather, they have discovered that the majority of non-compliance with regulations is inadvertent, pilots just made mistakes. So, they're new compliance philosophy uses education as their primary tool for ensuring compliance, and this new registration requirement is aligned with this new approach. They want to use education in the registration process as an opportunity to advise drone pilots of the AMA safety guidelines (which the FAA has adopted). I really think that if every drone pilot were a member of AMA, there would be no need for the registration rules.
Imagine all the resulting boring 4K video of every AMA sanctioned flying field therafter. :rolleyes: Set the drones free to record stunning aerial video of the world, instead of tethering them to AMA sanctioned flying fields! What a tragedy that would be!:(

Reactions: J.James
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart