FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've flown for the last 19 years. Heli's, Planes. Quadcopters. I have been an AMA member for 12 of those years. For the life of me, I cannot understand why you long time pilots and AMA members are actually supporting this. You are actually ok with the restriction of our hobby?
What restriction?

A flip side to this debate would be posing the question......

What harm could possibly come from this registration?
Does this registration in any way open the door for further restrictions on our hobby?
Could this possibly expand with time to take away our ability to fly just about anywhere?

Some will say "what restrictions" ? These people obviously have never ever studied government, learned of how government bureaucracy works....or they are part of it in some way and benefiting nicely from taxpayer hard work.
Typically, the new rules will be light and easy...to sucker you in. Like those "temporary" toll roads that never seem to go away after 1000 times more funding has been raised than was allowed when presented to the public. And even then, the tolls are always being raised. Surprise.

You gotta ask a lot of questions.

We don't allow personal attacks on this Forum. No warnings yet... just a reminder... A couple of you need to chill a bit to avoid a vacation from here...

Thanks...
-slinger

A flip side to this debate would be posing the question......

What harm could possibly come from this registration?
Does this registration in any way open the door for further restrictions on our hobby?
Could this possibly expand with time to take away our ability to fly just about anywhere?

You gotta ask a lot of questions.
Registering might get you on the no fly list and then they will come for your guns. Boo!

Reactions: smaugnaut
maybe so, does the FAA have a patrol unit now?

Well, if you get into some kind of accident, I guess you can be sure the victim might call FAA and report you or use that as leverage to extract more money out of you (if they don't, their lawyer would) seeing as this could result in jail term for you.

Am I being paranoid here?

Reactions: aka1ceman
which is why they use the words "up to" - come on... you know that.

And government uses fines as political tools.
YOU know that.

Did you ever hear of the IRS scandal where they were targeting Tea Party organizations?
What's that..Lois Lerner pleaded the 5th? How convenient.

I suspect the first enforcements will come for multiple violations such as flying in a reckless manner over No Fly Zones and without a registration. How will these enforcement actions come you ask? Will FAA deploy teams and Units of Drone police. The answer is no, no new units, just some guys at FAA monitoring YouTube and other social media for people who post video of their clearly reckless flights. FAA will then contact them for proof of registration. Once the poor sap is snagged in the no registration trap, the FAA won't even bother trying to prove up a "reckless" case and simply cite and fine the offender for no registration. Large initial fines will deter people from posting YouTube flights that reflect overt violations of FAA guidelines and restrictions. Once illegal flight videos disappear from YouTube etc, later enforcement actions will be based on wreckage found in areas that are overt violations of FAA guidelines but are properly registered. All other enforcement actions (those where the aircraft and operator and unregistered) will only come from serendipitous events that allow the FAA to gain evidence of illegal flights and the identity of the operator. It is my guess that only a very small number of these last types of enforcement actions will ever happen.

Yes, the drone phobia caused by the media caused the FAA to regulate law biding UAV operators and does nothing about the very few that fly with no respect for laws or saftey. Why would this minority of UAV ownes regester themselves with the FAA? The fines are for after the jackass flies his drone into a sporting event, does nothing to stop him from doing it. The operator was stupid before he owned the UAV, the operator is stupid flying the UAV and will be stupid after he causes some one getting hurt and he will not be fined because it was an illegal unregistered person flying an anonymous UAV.

And government uses fines as political tools.
YOU know that.

Did you ever hear of the IRS scandal where they were targeting Tea Party organizations?
What's that..Lois Lerner pleaded the 5th? How convenient.

Send me your address.... I'll give you $100.00 the first time a father of four is fined and/or imprisoned for the maximum considering the circumstances you described... Consider it a donation to your hyperbole fund.

I suspect the first enforcements will come for multiple violations such as flying in a reckless manner over No Fly Zones and without a registration. How will these enforcement actions come you ask? Will FAA deploy teams and Units of Drone police. The answer is no, no new units, just some guys at FAA monitoring YouTube and other social media for people who post video of their clearly reckless flights. FAA will then contact them for proof of registration. Once the poor sap is snagged in the no registration trap, the FAA won't even bother trying to prove up a "reckless" case and simply cite and fine the offender for no registration. Large initial fines will deter people from posting YouTube flights that reflect overt violations of FAA guidelines and restrictions. Once illegal flight videos disappear from YouTube etc, later enforcement actions will be based on wreckage found in areas that are overt violations of FAA guidelines but are properly registered. All other enforcement actions (those where the aircraft and operator and unregistered) will only come from serendipitous events that allow the FAA to gain evidence of illegal flights and the identity of the operator. It is my guess that only a very small number of these last types of enforcement actions will ever happen.

I hope you are correct sir.

Send me your address.... I'll give you $100.00 the first time a father of four is fined and/or imprisoned for the maximum considering the circumstances you described... Consider it a donation to your hyperbole fund.

How about send me $10 for every time a TeaParty member was targeted already by the gubbment ?

IM RICH !!!!!!!!!!!!

Drone phobia, hmmmm... not unlike the Registration phobia(s) on display here???

Lone Rider is right on. Some dufus flies on the White House lawn and all of a sudden we are all incompetent and need to be policed. TSA make you " think " you're safer with those tax sucking workers there.

Once illegal flight videos disappear from YouTube etc
I don't think I've ever seen an "illegal flight video" on You Tube. Can you point me to one?

We don't allow personal attacks on this Forum. No warnings yet... just a reminder... A couple of you need to chill a bit to avoid a vacation from here...

Thanks...
-slinger
Yeah, sorry. Being attacked doesn't always involve name calling either. I could have defended myself as a gentleman.

Reactions: BigAl07
ANY circumstance? Even when someone purposely fly above run way and the UAV (not necessary a Phantom) gets suck into jet engine and cause it to crash? Not even then?

Ok, maybe that's not bad enough. How about strapping explosive on fix wing then fly toward a plane taking off? How about then?

I think we all agree on not for flying in the local park, but to say any circumstances.........

A friend of the family is a real airline pilot and I spoke to him last night about these hitting a plane and he said, they hit birds all the time and it doesn't really cause a problem. plastic is no tougher than bone.
so even in the very rare chance one of these got sucked into an engine, it's probably not going to bring it down. I certainly wouldn't want to find out. but there isn't any real evidence that panic is warranted either.

Planes also fly hundreds of miles per hour at 20-40k feet typically. I doubt our little drones are going to be able to catch up with one..

save someone doing that while they are on the ground at an airport. but in that situation, those folks are intending to do harm no matter what. making people register or keep drones LOS, isn't going to change that one bit.

Interesting, they reference a uav being an aircraft, but the also say that you only register once and use the same number on all the uavs you may own. So in essence is it fair to assume that they don't really want to monitor the uavs (like how many there are or how many are being flown) just the people who own/fly them? I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing but I'd be interested in how the enforcement will work and the "civil and criminal" penalties..
The penalties are steep. 27,500 if youre caught, and up to 250,000 and jail time in some cases. They weren't specific as to what cases. This seems wrong to me. Has there been anyone killed by a drone or something? Seems like their should have been, at least as many as were killed by Islamic extremists anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic