FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the FAA just pass a law to put me in jail? I guess I'll keep my eyes out for the FAA police to show up to inspect my property for contraband UAS.... I hope they bring their warrant.

What warrant?
The new and improved government that ignores the Constitution "don't need no stinkin warrant" ;).
"Probable Cause"? That's been redefined to "You Probably Caused it so we can arrest you".

Did the FAA just pass a law to put me in jail? I guess I'll keep my eyes out for the FAA police to show up to inspect my property for contraband UAS.... I hope they bring their warrant.

Failure to register an aircraft can result in civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties for failure to register can include fines of up to $250,000 under 18 U.S.C. 3571 and/or imprisonment up to 3 years. 49 U.S.C. 46306.

It's easy to find.

The FAA has since 1958, the authority to refer willful violations to the DOJ for criminal prosecution. There's nothing new here.

[rant]
Unfortunately we are stuck with this Law because of all the publicity drones have caused, and all the incidents, spotted from aircraft, crashes at sporting events etc.

I have flown model aircraft since the 60's and this never became an issue like this. The AMA has 185,000 active members who have been flying safely for more than half a century.

But because of the way that these new drones fly anywhere instead of just at designated fields with AMA rules that are enforced by the clubs, this has become a huge issue.

If the new MultRotors had been used like traditional model aircraft, flown safely away from public these new rules would not have happened.

It is unfortunate that this new class of model aircraft flown by so many untrained pilots changed the whole sport. Yes this registration has to be done by all model aircraft flyers now. It used to be you just put your AMA number in your model voluntarily.

So this is a direct result of irresponsible use of model aircraft in a massive way. It used to be you almost never read about model aircraft, now drones are in the news every day.

We have entered a new era unfortunately, because of lack of common sense in how these drones are used. [/rant]

Failure to register an aircraft can result in civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties for failure to register can include fines of up to $250,000 under 18 U.S.C. 3571 and/or imprisonment up to 3 years. 49 U.S.C. 46306.

Now THAT sounds like a reasonable fine and jail sentence for the Dad of 4 who, never having been in trouble in his life was given a "drone" from someones attic and just wanted to have fun in the yard with his kids, evil dad should have researched the LAW !!!!!

So this is a direct result of irresponsible use of model aircraft in a massive way. It used to be you almost never read about model aircraft, now drones are in the news every day.

I agree with everything you wrote except for this part... it hasn't been done in a massive way... it just appears to be massive because it gets so much media coverage. It is still only a minuscule percentage of people who fly irresponsibly.

Now THAT sounds like a reasonable fine and jail sentence for the Dad of 4 who, never having been in trouble in his life was given a "drone" from someones attic and just wanted to have fun in the yard with his kids, evil dad should have researched the LAW !!!!!

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law. You may not like it... but I was answering the question of "did the FAA make it a law".

Reactions: GoodnNuff
[rant]
Unfortunately we are stuck with this Law because of all the publicity drones have caused, and all the incidents, spotted from aircraft, crashes at sporting events etc.

I have flown model aircraft since the 60's and this never became an issue like this. The AMA has 185,000 active members who have been flying safely for more than half a century.

But because of the way that these new drones fly anywhere instead of just at designated fields with AMA rules that are enforced by the clubs, this has become a huge issue.

If the new MultRotors had been used like traditional model aircraft, flown safely away from public these new rules would not have happened.

It is unfortunate that this new class of model aircraft flown by so many untrained pilots changed the whole sport. Yes this registration has to be done by all model aircraft flyers now. It used to be you just put your AMA number in your model voluntarily.

We have entered a new era unfortunately, because of lack of common sense in how these drones are used. [/rant]

Very well and very accurately stated. If there were a prerequisite for common sense this issue would have been null long ago. Unfortunately lack of common sense along with VTOL and GPS guidance we have ushered in a whole new era of RC "operators". We are all lumped together like it or not and now we are all "regulated" together like it or not.

How does it equate to restriction?
Let me ask you this.....do you believe this is the end of it?
Or does past evidence tell us that government bureaucracies start out small then get bloated way out of proportion, costing taxpayers billions in the process?
I have a feeling a lot more restrictions will be forthcoming after they get a good size registration database.
The database will give them more power of enforcement. That will mean they can set more restrictions to enforce.
Speculation...maybe...but only based on past evidence.

I see your concerns. However, registration or not, once there are regulation (irrespective of registration), if you are flying, you will still be "seen" and under the same law would you not?

I guess I don't see how not registering realistically prevents more regulation or avoidance of prosecution for running afoul of law.

Are your position that if no one register, there would be no more regulation with respect to flying UAV?

The FAA has since 1958, the authority to refer willful violations to the DOJ for criminal prosecution. There's nothing new here.

A do nothing regulation that in reality, is unenforceable.

Here's how it plays out...
So moron registers himself on the website. Moron flies his drone into a jet's intake at 600 feet... how are they going to find him? He didn't have to register his serial number? The piece of tape that had his registration number on it burnt up in the jet engine, then drifted away at 600 feet. It landed about 3 miles away.

What did this rule accomplish? If only the local cop and seen him on in the park, then he could have stopped his normal duties to demand the moron's papers.

The only way this rule does anything, is if the UAS remains intact if it crashes and they are able to recover it. Otherwise, it's useless.

When all airborne RC vehicles are subject to "equal treatment under the law", I'll stop complaining. The next guy I see flying an Airhog, I'm going to demand their papers or I'll report them to the FAA. Enough complaints to the FAA, maybe they'll do something about these evil and ugly death machines!

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law. You may not like it... but I was answering the question of "did the FAA make it a law".

And you may not like it, but I was pointing out that that fine could be a bit harsh in most circumstances given the whole picture. It's a tool. You voted wrong so $250,000.
Or, you voted correctly, so $1.00 fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluesmaster
Common Sense (YMMV...) tells me that the Dad of 4 will never have an encounter with the FAA for flying in his yard with his kids.
Common Sense tells me that if Dad of 4 causes damage by flying into a plane, news copter, or the windshield of a car, then he will regrete not knowing he was to register his 2nd hand attic drone.

You may choose not to register your drone - you have that option, and that right.
But if you have an uncontrolled flyaway or any other accident like this guy had last week:
Phantom took off on its own, uncontrollable, crashed onto someone's car, bricked everything. | DJI Phantom Forum
and your drone isn't registered, the consequences will be far greater than if it were registered.

Relaying this fact here will of course make me look, to some of you, like a sheeple who is rolling over so The Man can give it to me....

Reactions: Buckaye
And you may not like it, but I was pointing out that that fine could be a bit harsh in most circumstances.

which is why they use the words "up to" - come on... you know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z