FAA New Information for Hobby Drone Operators

I don't see anything different between this and the older law. The FAA has always said you must keep the SUAS in constant line of sight unless you have an observer. From what I read the only thing that has changed so far is the community based organizations and calling the ATC if you are with in 5 miles of an airport along with a up coming knowledge test. Personally I only flew in G air space away.

I don't see anything different between this and the older law. The FAA has always said you must keep the SUAS in constant line of sight unless you have an observer. From what I read the only thing that has changed so far is the community based organizations and calling the ATC if you are with in 5 miles of an airport along with a up coming knowledge test. Personally I only flew in G air space away.

It wasn't LAW until today. It was "Guidelines" which many felt/feel do not apply to them. This is codified into Law and now enforceable. Whether or not it is enforced is a whole other matter.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
It wasn't LAW until today. It was "Guidelines" which many felt/feel do not apply to them. This is codified into Law and now enforceable. Whether or not it is enforced is a whole other matter.

The below is from the FAA website prior to the recent changes. It looks to me that if you violated any of the regulations listed you could have been fined up to $27,500 per violation and/or suspension or revocation of any certificates issued by the Administrator of the FAA. Excuse me but regulations (law) carry a possibility of a fine and is a form of punishment. This regulation was and still is for both recreational and commercial fliers. I personally would not intentionally violate it then or now

Older FAA Regulations:

Violations of applicable Federal Aviation Regulations may result in legal enforcement action, including civil penalties up to $27,500 per violation and/or suspension or revocation of any certificates issued by the Administrator of the FAA.

Avoid operating higher than 400 feet above the ground. Avoid operations in close proximity to airports. When within 5 miles of an airport, contact the airport/Air Traffic Control (ATC).

Do not endanger persons or property. Remain well clear of manned aircraft operations. Avoid overflight of moving vehicles or people.

• Remain within visual line of sight (VLOS) of your unmanned aircraft. Use a visual observer when necessary/appropriate.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phill2
If anyone's interested, I posted a detailed overview of these rule changes in this thread:

But in the meantime, they can only fly in controlled airspace at fixed, approved sites.

So--I am wondering: in the case of airports WITHOUT control towers, assuming they do NOT exist within otherwise controlled airspace, is that defined airspace (generally a 5 mile radius of the airport) considered to be controlled or uncontrolled airspace? Controlled airspace is generally defined to be: "an airspace of defined dimensions within which ATC services are provided". In this case, no ATC services are provided. The same might apply to towered airports ONLY when the tower ceases operations during some parts of the day/night. Uncontrolled airspace is generally defined as the opposite of controlled airspace. Any drone lawyers out there?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl