FAA just increased the no fly zone around DC from 15 miles to 30 miles

Reaction score
I will post a video later, but since I just read today that the FAA has increased the no FLy zone around DC from 15 miles, to 30 miles, which grounds about 30 fly clubs, and covers almost all of Southern Maryland, and into Virginia.

I get home and check the DJI GO app because I am expecting a firmware update to coincide, and it says one is needed for "cold weather related issues"

The update is very annoying. It crashed once, and then it has this LOUD beep from the craft, not just from the gimbal.

It is update 1.3.005 and was released the 22nd, so i am expecting another one any day now to cover the 30 mile radius

It is really annoying. I have been considering send this back, and now I am a little more motivated, as it is really becoming more of a pain in the ARSE than it is useful. The pictures I get from it aren't the greatest of quality, with the lack of detail, and softness. certainly not salable, even if I COULD sell them....

The pictures from the Gopro Hero 3 WOULD be salable, if I actually could..

IF I had the law behind me, I could buy a much better quad and camera. The reason I bought the Phantom 3 is because the future of these things is up in the air....

A. Updates are a pain the arse. Annoying loud noises for a half hour that make it so you don't want to be in the house...

B. Need to give the government more of my information so they can mismanage it.

C. Can't make money with it.

D. Getting so you can't fly them anywhere. this means in state parks and such...

It is starting not to be fun at all... The drone industry will loose money soon from more than just me, I can guarantee.

That includes 3dr and blade, not just Chinese companies.

Last edited:
Reactions: joe21
What is dji not being honest about? That update came out before the FAA announcement, if that's what you are suggesting.

I for one don't mind all the rules and regs, but I come from a family of pilots and my business is about to start using drones, so I think I'm a bit biased.. Lol

Makes the business competition a lot smaller anyways. :)

There is no "no fly" around DC that's been defined by the FAA, although DJI defined one.

Re the FAA, there is an FRZ and there is an SFRA. Both have been around DC for quite a long time.

See a discussion here: DMV, DC / Maryland / Virginia | Page 2 | DJI Phantom Forum

Edit: I just watched the Channel 9 newcast. I don't think they are reporting new news. The media gets this kind of stuff wrong all the time. The SFRA has been around for ages and very few people other than pilots and veteran hobbyists are aware of it. Technically we're not allowed to fly our drones within 30 miles of Reagan National without authorization, and there is nothing new about that.

Edit #2: Here is the recent language from the FAA: DC is a No Drone Zone

This is layman's terms for the document that was released in September.

Nothing new other than it appears they are being more aggressive in spreading the word.

Last edited:
I have two GoPro cameras, a 3 and 4 (Black). My P3P takes better photos, and it doesn't have the fisheye distortion.

As far as updates (firmware, controller, and Go app). I've always updated soon after they're available, and haven't had any issues at all, except the time they broke the VPS (which was still no big deal with manual landings). And they fixed that in the next release.

These quadcopters are not military or industrial grade machines. They're mass produced for consumers, and sold at reasonable prices for the technology that they have.

DJI is known as being a slightly shady company. You can find post after post of weird issues. People beta testing firmware, and then when the firmware comes out they tested, it is changed.

Poor customer service, etc.

Now, I am not saying they don't have innovative quads, but customer service and business ethics is severely lacking.

They could really give a **** about the customers problems once the sale is made.

Obviously I bit the bullet and have my second DJI product, but lets call a spade a spade.

"I for one don't mind all the rules and regs, but I come from a family of pilots and my business is about to start using drones, so I think I'm a bit biased.. Lol"

Yeah, but one, you are either flying around people, or cargo in a ton plane. That is VASTLY a different scenario. Two, yes, but I need to be registered, yet don't get the benefit of using one for business...Let me use one for business and my attitude will change.

In a GoPro, you can take the fisheye out, and the sharpness, dynamic range and detail is good enough to be accepted in stock photography with GoPros.

It isn't with the phantom cameras. There is a TON of purple fringing also!

Yes to an untrained eye it looks better because there isn't fish eye, but when you start to edit the pictures you see VAST differences in the quality of the image.

I am not saying the camera quality isn't worth the low price. I am saying the quad in general isn't worth all the hassle, with all the regulations not just by the FAA, but in towns where you can't fly the quads in even state parks away from other people, where you could get some good landscape images. I have been flying for 3 years. This isn't my first experience.

The FCC shut down drone clubs in Washington too.

FAA shuts down dozens of drone clubs near Washington, DC
Yeah, I am not sure what is going on. They didn't say "temporarily" but the AMA is stroking everyone's hair saying "it'll be okay"

You know, part of the reason I am so resistant to these new FAA rules is I do not trust the Obama administration. The NSA WAS spying illegally on us citizens according to circuit court. The IRS WAS in fact specifically targeting conservative groups for audits, there WERE shady deals made on Obama care. United Health DID loose 500 million dollars one a year of Obama care.

With all of the above, I can't help but be skeptical of the reasoning for the registration. Especially since I read an analysis of the 700 "close calls", and it turns out the number is actually 27...

There seems to be a lot of quick, unthoughtout laws that are rammed down the throats of American citizens and that makes me a little untrusting of our government right now.

I am reading peoples comments in the forums on what they think of registration and am starting to wonder if how they feel about the new FAA registration rules that DID NOT follow the governments own laws, has more to do with which side of the isle they would sit on.

Just my curiosity.

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. ~Ayn Rand

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force. ~Ayn Rand

I would have thought it be cool to fly the drone over the white house since nobody is allowed there.

But anyways, got my video, but there's no sound. Do Phantom 3 not have mics?

The no fly zone has been around DC for a while but now the FAA is enforcing it and including all RC club fields which they never did before. I attribute this new enforcement directly to the popularity of drones. One can only hope that all these cheap Chinese drones will just be a passing fad and the RC clubs can reopen.but I do not think they are going to allow flying by mid-January like the AMA states.

I am reading peoples comments in the forums on what they think of registration and am starting to wonder if how they feel about the new FAA registration rules that DID NOT follow the governments own laws, has more to do with which side of the isle they would sit on.

Really? You think people's political biases have something to do with their world perspective? Wonder why nobody EVER thought of that before...... #areyoukiddingme ;)

DJI is known as being a slightly shady company. You can find post after post of weird issues. People beta testing firmware, and then when the firmware comes out they tested, it is changed.

Poor customer service, etc.
Now, I am not saying they don't have innovative quads, but customer service and business ethics is severely lacking.
They could really give a **** about the customers problems once the sale is made.
This is the kind of post that was common on the forums a year ago but a bunch of what you're saying is uninformed or out of date.
DJI's customer service was a victim of their phenomenal growth and it was hard for them to expand fast enough.
By all reports this has significantly improved and your opinion is not up to date.
As for their business ethics, I have no idea what you mean, but I wouldn't like to be one of their competitors because none can compete for features or price atm.
The FAA may have come up with a halfbaked scheme of dubious merit but they have been independent and apolitical and for your other political comments, it wouldn't matter which party was in power as similar things happen regardless.
In a GoPro, you can take the fisheye out, and the sharpness, dynamic range and detail is good enough to be accepted in stock photography with GoPros.
It isn't with the phantom cameras. There is a TON of purple fringing also!
As a photographer, I'd take the P3 every time and vote it way ahead of any GoPro.
I have full control of all camera functions - not possible with GoPro and I get very good results without having to waste time and effort defishing to get an image of degraded quality.
GoPro may have been ok when there was nothing else, but its time has past for serious aerial photography.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
The problem with this "law" or "rule" or whatever you want to call it, it had no teeth. Up to ten days ago, all the feds could do is wag their finger at a drone operator. Naughty, naughty! If you carefully read the circular that was released in September, unless the drone endangers NAS, the feds don't have a means to punish. But that changes dramatically with registration.

Let's say you got a drone for Christmas and go out to Carderock and fly around a bit. You take it real easy and keep it nice and low - 100 ft max distance, 30 ft max altitude, clear open field.

Carderock is outside DC, outside the beltway, but inside the FRZ. Now, they can check for registration and they have a reason to do so. Ah, ha! If you aren't registered, you're open to some pretty hefty penalties whereas they couldn't do very much ten days ago.

But if you are registered, the Feds still don't have a lot of immediate options except, of course, pulling your registration, which would be pretty painful. Or, if you've been flying for a while and haven't yet registered, they can deny you the ability to register when you get around to doing so prior to Feb. 19th.

Point is, although the law hasn't changed, the registration requirement gives the FAA a lot more muscle.

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. ~Ayn Rand

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force. ~Ayn Rand
WELL SAID!

The no fly zone has been around DC for a while but now the FAA is enforcing it and including all RC club fields which they never did before. I attribute this new enforcement directly to the popularity of drones. One can only hope that all these cheap Chinese drones will just be a passing fad and the RC clubs can reopen.but I do not think they are going to allow flying by mid-January like the AMA states.
Thanks for the theory, but it doesn't make sense logically for the government to do this based on toy drones. People with those toy drones aren't going to be joining, or flying at clubs.

Really? You think people's political biases have something to do with their world perspective? Wonder why nobody EVER thought of that before...... #areyoukiddingme ;)

Liberty should be just as important no matter what your political beliefs However, I know that isn't the case.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

As a photographer, I'd take the P3 every time and vote it way ahead of any GoPro.
I have full control of all camera functions - not possible with GoPro and I get very good results without having to waste time and effort defishing to get an image of degraded quality.
GoPro may have been ok when there was nothing else, but its time has past for serious aerial photography.[/QUOTE]

In order,
A. Thanks for the info, but I am still reading posts like I describe today.

B.Do you know what business ethics mean?

C. Prove it

D.Ever tried to sell ANY photograph on stock photography? I am not even talking about images from the drone..

You say you don't know what I mean by "business ethics" Is it the word you don't understand? I can post a definition. In this case I mean that it is unethical to abandon your customers after a sale. Even recent articles discuss how DJI doesn't care about their customers opinion

Last edited:
A. Thanks for the info, but I am still reading posts like I describe today.
You'll read all kinds of things on forums and quite a lot isn't true at all.
B.Do you know what business ethics mean?
Of course I do - but I have no idea what it is about DJI that you consider poor business ethics.
C. Prove it
Prove what? And why?
You've made a bunch of assertions and opinions with no proof.
I've offered my experienced opinions to counter some.
D.Ever tried to sell ANY photograph on stock photography? I am not even talking about images from the drone..
As it happens, yes. And I've enough experience to know not to take much notice of anyone making such sweeping statements
You say you don't know what I mean by "business ethics" Is it the word you don't understand? I can post a definition. In this case I mean that it is unethical to abandon your customers after a sale. Even recent articles discuss how DJI doesn't care about their customers opinion
Answered above.
And I've read enough forum posts to have a reasonable idea what the true situation is and not just knock DJI because that's popular.
I don't see a case to back up what you're suggesting.
Things change and forums are full of opinionated people. Not all of them properly understand what they post about.

WELL SAID!
I could not agree more.

I get the safety issues and all the boneheads doing dumb things like flying a Phantom at the Macys parade. Meanwhile if you want to take arial footage of say, the Patuxent river too bad.

I am going to get a P3 in the next few days but I am keeping my P2V+, it feels like I have more freedom.

You'll read all kinds of things on forums and quite a lot isn't true at all.

Of course I do - but I have no idea what it is about DJI that you consider poor business ethics.

Prove what? And why?
You've made a bunch of assertions and opinions with no proof.
I've offered my experienced opinions to counter some.

As it happens, yes. And I've enough experience to know not to take much notice of anyone making such sweeping statements

Answered above.
And I've read enough forum posts to have a reasonable idea what the true situation is and not just knock DJI because that's popular.
I don't see a case to back up what you're suggesting.
Things change and forums are full of opinionated people. Not all of them properly understand what they post about.

...and quite a lot of it IS true.

I wasn't trying to be arrogant, but the reason I asked if you had sold stock photography, and I mean on stock photography sites, is I have a hard time believing someone who has went through that arduous process of ensuring your photos are stock photography worthy would think the Phantom cameras are as good as the gopros

Here is a video comparing the Gopro 4 to the phantom 3. The dynamic range is better, the details are better and the white balances is better. I have found this same phenomenon. If they both had the same lens, the Gopro would blow the phantom 3 out of the water. Yes, the sensor pixels are the same, but the lens, and algorithm are clearly very different. AT 43 SECONDS YOU CAN SEE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN DETAIL TIPPED WAY TOWARD THE GOPRO

Here are some of mine to compare at the link below. The two in the top right corner are ones I have taken with the Phantom 3. All the other CLoudscapes are actually with the Gopro Hero 3+ Black

The Suburban Hippie Photographer

The "prove it" was about proving that the FAA, IRS, and NSA did shady things to the public under different admins.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20