FAA Contacted Me

Reaction score
Hello,

I have enjoyed this site for a while now and I have gotten lots of answers without needing to create an account. I joined today to say that the FAA contacted me recently about flying in a restricted area. I am a part 107 pilot and I fly commercially. They contacted me because I was flying in class B airspace about 2 miles away from an airport. I did not submit a flight plan on the FAA site because my client urgently needed footage done and there was no time. Figuring that plenty of commercial pilots do this, I went ahead and did the flight. The FAA contacted me because someone saw a video I did and tried to fly in the same area. The submitted a flight plan and got rejected so they reported me. I am dealing with the "slap on the hand" from them at the moment, but I was curious. Is there anyone here who actually makes a living flying commercially and submits every single flight plan to the FAA before flying? Sometimes it is completely unreasonable time-wise. The FAA suggests allowing up to SIX MONTHS to get approved for a flight. That is way too long a time. Is there any way I can streamline this process to a couple of days?

I would love it if anyone could help me.

Thank you,

FS

If you value your 107 certification, you better not break the rules intentionally. You knew it was a violation when your flew, that's a good way to lose the 107.

The future is bright for a quicker system using the new FAA LAANC system. It's got a way to go, but the intention is good.

Thank you for the link John. I do value my part 107 certification. I was typing out of knowledge gained post FAA contact. When I flew, I did not realize I was doing anything wrong (long story.) If you do make your living flying drones, what is your process for scheduling?

Thanks,

FS

Reactions: embayweather
Thank you for the link John. I do value my part 107 certification. I was typing out of knowledge gained post FAA contact. When I flew, I did not realize I was doing anything wrong (long story.) If you do make your living flying drones, what is your process for scheduling?

Thanks,

FS
I simply don't bother with the job unless the client can wait. Optionally, you can look for someone that already has a waiver for the area and pay him to use his waiver. I think DroneU has a section in their website to locate pilots that rent their waivers. However, that's like looking for a needle in a haystack if you ask me. Unlikely you'll find someone in your specific area of need.

Reactions: bad karma
I simply don't bother with the job unless the client can wait. Optionally, you can look for someone that already has a waiver for the area and pay him to use his waiver. I think DroneU has a section in their website to locate pilots that rent their waivers. However, that's like looking for a needle in a haystack if you ask me. Unlikely you'll find someone in your specific area of need.

Both good ideas. Thank you John.

You got unlucky man. Rules are meant to be broken

That's some horrible advice!! Unless you're willing to pitch in and help with someone's legal fees I would suggest keeping such advice to yourself. Hopefully anyone reading this has enough common sense to realize just how horrible this advice really is. I'm deeply disappointed in such an attitude. Professionals do not behave like this and risk their reputation, equipment, business, and FREEDOM by randomly "Breaking rules because they are meant to be broken". HORRIBLE!

I'm confused that you say you are Part 107 certified but yet "didn't know" you were breaking the rules by flying in controlled airspace without authorization from the FAA. It sounds like you need to go back and study that part a bit more.

I completely agree. My study materials were not amazing in that it didnt cover this properly. I was under the impression that I only needed to contact the FAA if I was flying over 400 feet AGL or at night. I almost wonder how I passed without knowing this properly. I just want to learn how I can streamline the process of getting approved quickly so I can do my work properly.

That's some horrible advice!! Unless you're willing to pitch in and help with someone's legal fees I would suggest keeping such advice to yourself. Hopefully anyone reading this has enough common sense to realize just how horrible this advice really is. I'm deeply disappointed in such an attitude. Professionals do not behave like this and risk their reputation, equipment, business, and FREEDOM by randomly "Breaking rules because they are meant to be broken". HORRIBLE!

I completely agree, but anyone can see that. =) Do you have any advice for me regarding a streamlined approval process though? LAANC is not in my area. Should I get to know all the ATC operators on a personal level? Should I get to know the local FAA office on a personal level? What can help me to get approved faster and more consistently?

I completely agree. My study materials were not amazing in that it didnt cover this properly. I was under the impression that I only needed to contact the FAA if I was flying over 400 feet AGL or at night. I almost wonder how I passed without knowing this properly. I just want to learn how I can streamline the process of getting approved quickly so I can do my work properly.

Please please please go to remotepilot101.com and watch all the videos there before flying under Part 107 again. You must have gotten extremely lucky with random test questions to have passed.

I completely agree, but anyone can see that. =) Do you have any advice for me regarding a streamlined approval process though? LAANC is not in my area. Should I get to know all the ATC operators on a personal level? Should I get to know the local FAA office on a personal level? What can help me to get approved faster and more consistently?

There is NOT a streamlined process in place at this time except for a very small number of "Test" locations. If you haven't already applied for an Airspace Authorization or an Airspace Waiver you should do so YESTERDAY! But keep in mind... the current "estimate" for LAANC to be 100% is next July/August. Don't bet your bottom dollar on that happening by then but it COULD!

Until that time you either find someone with an existing AA or AW and fly under it (they may charge you and that's fair) or you don't do the flight... PERIOD!! AA and AW's are taking longer than expected in most cases. I've seen some beyond the 6 month period lately.

You're now on the FAA's radar (see what I did there) and you can no longer say "I didn't know" (although that's not a viable defense because it's under the study materials and probably on your test too). You've used your "Get out Of Jail" card and they don't give out more than one.

If you want to learn the materials (rather than studying to pass a test) I highly suggest you check out Gold Seal UAV Ground School. It's taught by FAA instructors and taught to teach you the subject matter so you are able to operate in the NAS safely and efficiently. The best part is it's a LIFETIME membership so you can go back at a later time to take additional modules as they are created (Daytime Waiver 107.29 for instance).

I would refer you to page 5 and 6 of the Remote Pilot Study Guide available for free on the FAA website. It's pretty clear. Covered in detail. Freely and readily available.

Becoming a Pilot

Class B Airspace
Class B airspace is generally airspace from the surface to 10,000 feet mean sea level (MSL) surrounding the nation’s busiest airports in terms of airport operations or passenger enplanements. The configuration of each Class B airspace area is individually tailored, consists of a surface area and two or more layers (some Class B airspace areas resemble upside-down wedding cakes), and is designed to contain all published instrument procedures once an aircraft enters the airspace. A remote pilot must receive authorization from ATC before operating in the Class B airspace.

Class C Airspace

Class C airspace is generally airspace from the surface to 4,000 feet above the airport elevation (charted in MSL) surrounding those airports that have an operational control tower, are serviced by a radar approach control, and have a certain number of instrument flight rules (IFR) operations or passenger enplanements. Although the configuration of each Class C area is individually tailored, the airspace usually consists of a surface area with a five nautical mile (NM) radius, an outer circle with a ten NM radius that extends from 1,200 feet to 4,000 feet above the airport elevation. A remote pilot must receive authorization before operating in Class C airspace.

Class D Airspace

Class D airspace is generally airspace from the surface to 2,500 feet above the airport elevation (charted in MSL) surrounding those airports that have an operational control tower. The configuration of each Class D airspace area is individually tailored and, when instrument procedures are published, the airspace is normally designed to contain the procedures. Arrival extensions for instrument approach procedures (IAPs) may be Class D or Class E airspace. A remote pilot must receive ATC authorization before operating in Class D airspace.

Note that the FAA has now implemented a process where the authorizations all go through the website for now. As noted above, the LAANC system is being rolled out which should speed up and simplify the process.

Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace

Last edited:
@Flying Squirrel I apologize... I was rude.... WELCOME to the forum :) KUDOS on you joining and sharing your story with the rest of us.

Reactions: Flying Squirrel
The system sucks. Most media clients can not wait up to 90 days for a permit to be approved or disapproved. You turn down the gig, it just goes to someone else regardless of their professional status. I also think it was very cheesy for that person to got caught to turn you in. I would have redirected the hoard of zombies to that persons area of occupation :)

I just received authorization from the FAA to fly within local Class C airspace. It took 133 days for the authorization with no comment, so I must have filled it out completely and provided the necessary information. Yesterday I decided to test and see what’s next when I have an actual mission within the scope of my authorization. I called the tower to say I was planning to fly my drone within their airspace. First question was “hobbyist or commercial.” I said commercial and was told I need an FAA authorization. I said I have it - do you want the number. They said to fax or email, and provided me the information. Then they asked the time frame for flight, so I made up a 2 hour window. They also asked the altitude and I said no more than 200 ft. AGL. They asked my name and contact info, which I provided. I also said I had an airband transceiver and would be monitoring their tower, and they said “great”. They said they would advise ATC and if they had any questions, I would hear from them. Never heard back, so all must have been good.

I’m guessing that the next time I call to advise a flight, since they’ve got my info, it will go a lot quicker. They thanked me for advising and said most drone operators don’t follow the rules, so they were quite appreciative.

FYI - I took my course from Remote Pilot 101. Their videos are outstanding. I got an 83 when I took the part 107 exam. I was getting 100s on their practice tests. So I have to commend them for all the material they cover to prepare you for the real exam. Restricted airspace, layers, weather - are all extensively covered in their course.

Hello,

I have enjoyed this site for a while now and I have gotten lots of answers without needing to create an account. I joined today to say that the FAA contacted me recently about flying in a restricted area. I am a part 107 pilot and I fly commercially. They contacted me because I was flying in class B airspace about 2 miles away from an airport. I did not submit a flight plan on the FAA site because my client urgently needed footage done and there was no time. Figuring that plenty of commercial pilots do this, I went ahead and did the flight. The FAA contacted me because someone saw a video I did and tried to fly in the same area. The submitted a flight plan and got rejected so they reported me. I am dealing with the "slap on the hand" from them at the moment, but I was curious. Is there anyone here who actually makes a living flying commercially and submits every single flight plan to the FAA before flying? Sometimes it is completely unreasonable time-wise. The FAA suggests allowing up to SIX MONTHS to get approved for a flight. That is way too long a time. Is there any way I can streamline this process to a couple of days?

I would love it if anyone could help me.

Thank you,

FS
I file every flight. EVERY flight. You broke the rules.

I file every flight. EVERY flight. You broke the rules.
There is NOT a streamlined process in place at this time except for a very small number of "Test" locations. If you haven't already applied for an Airspace Authorization or an Airspace Waiver you should do so YESTERDAY! But keep in mind... the current "estimate" for LAANC to be 100% is next July/August. Don't bet your bottom dollar on that happening by then but it COULD!

Until that time you either find someone with an existing AA or AW and fly under it (they may charge you and that's fair) or you don't do the flight... PERIOD!! AA and AW's are taking longer than expected in most cases. I've seen some beyond the 6 month period lately.

You're now on the FAA's radar (see what I did there) and you can no longer say "I didn't know" (although that's not a viable defense because it's under the study materials and probably on your test too). You've used your "Get out Of Jail" card and they don't give out more than one.

If you want to learn the materials (rather than studying to pass a test) I highly suggest you check out Gold Seal UAV Ground School. It's taught by FAA instructors and taught to teach you the subject matter so you are able to operate in the NAS safely and efficiently. The best part is it's a LIFETIME membership so you can go back at a later time to take additional modules as they are created (Daytime Waiver 107.29 for instance).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31