FAA Announces Part 107 Re-Testing Criteria

I am probably in a minority here, but I am so irritated by this. In my state, I can get a license to drive a 2 ton vehicle at age 16, pay $15 every 6 years and NEVER have to take a test again. But if I fly a drone, I have to drive 2 hours (1 way) retake a test every 2 calendar years AND pay $150 for that "privilege. IMO, that sucks big ones.

Reactions: MTO and doktorinjh
It's perishable knowledge, dharlow. That's why they want to test us every two years.

It's perishable knowledge, dharlow. That's why they want to test us every two years.

Just for the sake of conversation, what isn't? Besides, "most" of what is on that test doesn't even apply to flying a drone. My complaining isn't going to change anything, but I still think it's ridiculous to charge us $150 every two years. And if you are going to use the argument that there are different levels of knowledge needed based on the "type" of drone used, then tier the tests and charges commensurately.

Reactions: doktorinjh
I am probably in a minority here, but I am so irritated by this. In my state, I can get a license to drive a 2 ton vehicle at age 16, pay $15 every 6 years and NEVER have to take a test again. But if I fly a drone, I have to drive 2 hours (1 way) retake a test every 2 calendar years AND pay $150 for that "privilege. IMO, that sucks big ones.

You're not required to take the test and get your Part 107. You can fly as a hobbyist and (at least for the time being) won't have to worry about staying current and paying the minuscule $150 testing fee. If your Part 107 operations can't justify that cost then you are much better off just flying as a hobbyist and save your time and money.

Just for the sake of conversation, what isn't?

Of course "other modes of transportation" change laws/rules all the time (Speed limit for instance) but when you're operating on a TERRESTRIAL level they can merely change the signs/signals etc and you might clearly understand what the current law/limit in that area is. If something changes (for instance max Altitude you can legally fly at) how are you doing to know and VERIFY that you understand the subject matter? RECURRENT TESTING!! It's part of the game of operating as a professional in the NAS.

If you drive on the road "Commercially" then your testing etc changes as well along with other stipulations (log book, max hours you can operate etc). Why does that logic elude so many people when you simply apply it to aviation?

Besides, "most" of what is on that test doesn't even apply to flying a drone.

What you're missing is the test covers more than "just Phantom flyers" and that's what many people aren't getting. Just because you only fly a Phantom doesn't mean many of the rest of us don't fly something different as well as our Phantoms. The TEST has to be all encompassing and applies to all sUAS under 55lbs.

Remember that "Drones/sUAS" are much more than just your off-the-shelf Phantom. Granted they are the industry leader in terms of numbers sold but when you get into the Commercial world of sUAS the types, sizes, and complexities of sUAS changes dramatically. Look at the big picture outside of the Phantom world and the testing process might make a bit more sense.

If you're preparing for your initial Part 107 exam, nothing has changed. You can do it now. If you're referring to the recertification (recurrency) exam, there would be no reason to take it any earlier than August (or whatever month you did take your initial exam in).
As a gold seal member, when I do my recertification is this going to be new information on the gold seal website or will it just be the old stuff I've already done or is there some update to the lessons?

If you're preparing for your initial Part 107 exam, nothing has changed. You can do it now. If you're referring to the recertification (recurrency) exam, there would be no reason to take it any earlier than August (or whatever month you did take your initial exam in).
Ok. Thanks my mistake I have to slow down and now I see it says recertification.

From what I read in the new FAA document, I don't have to take recurrent testing, because I hold a pilot's license and I'm current for my biennial flight review.

From the document, "Recurrent testing is required for Airmen who do not hold a pilot certificate that was issued under 14 CFR part 61. The recurrent test is also required for airmen who do hold a pilot certificate that was issued under 14 CFR part 61, but do not have a current Flight Review as per 14 CFR part 61, section, 61.56."

From what I read in the new FAA document, I don't have to take recurrent testing, because I hold a pilot's license and I'm current for my biennial flight review.

From the document, "Recurrent testing is required for Airmen who do not hold a pilot certificate that was issued under 14 CFR part 61. The recurrent test is also required for airmen who do hold a pilot certificate that was issued under 14 CFR part 61, but do not have a current Flight Review as per 14 CFR part 61, section, 61.56."

You'll have to take the Online version. More details should come out next week.

" The TEST has to be all encompassing and applies to all sUAS under 55lbs. "

Why? Because they are too lazy to construct more than one? I drive a two axle vehicle. I don't have to get a license to drive a 18 wheeler to get on the highway. And yes, the $150 is too much. In this economy every penny counts.
cleardot.gif

Why? Because they are too lazy to construct more than one? I drive a two axle vehicle. I don't have to get a license to drive a 18 wheeler to get on the highway. And yes, the $150 is too much. In this economy every penny counts.
cleardot.gif

Our industry pitched a fit because people didn't want to get a Pilot's License to fy sUAS (Section 333 requires a Sport Pilot rating or higher) so the FAA came up with a band aid called the current Part 107.

In time they will most likely have different "types/tiers" but the masses complained and forced the issue.

The cost of maintaining currency should be "built into" your business plan and budgeted for Biennially if you can't just pay it out of pocket.That comes out to around $0.21 per day.

You're missing the big picture but sometimes that's convenient.

Reactions: Loz and sar104
As a gold seal member, when I do my recertification is this going to be new information on the gold seal website or will it just be the old stuff I've already done or is there some update to the lessons?
We do keep the Ground School constantly updated, but as the knowledge material remains basically the same, you'll be reviewing using the same lessons.

Reactions: BigAl07

cleardot.gif
If $150 every two years to "too much", then your business plan/model might need to be reviewed.

Reactions: BH1959 and BigAl07
If $150 every two years to "too much", then your business plan/model might need to be reviewed.
That isn't the point. I'm done with this discussion. Everyone seems to be fine with being ripped off. And it's not going to change by my complaining. And I am tired of people telling me that I don't know how to run a business.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Piece of cake if you're a pilot. A bi-annual flight review is required every two years, and that can be used to re-qualify your Part 107 license ..

A dollar saved is two dollars earned. That $150 comes right out of what would otherwise be added to net profits! :eek: There are certainly cheaper ways of recertification that could have been enacted, such as the online method suggested! :cool:

Let's be real... if the test was only $5 we would still have people complaining and arguing that the fee was senseless. In the world of Commerce we have fees we must pay and at coming in less than a quarter per day it's silly to even consider it as much of an expense.

Aviation isn't cheap and in relation to any other form of aviation "certification/license" the $150 every 2 years is dirt cheap. Why is this even an issue because anyone who studied the materials "should" have known from day one that it was a biennial process. Every 2 years we do it all over again and it's only $150 a pop. That's $75/year or $0.21/day.

Let's be real... if the test was only $5 we would still have people complaining and arguing that the fee was senseless. In the world of Commerce we have fees we must pay and at coming in less than a quarter per day it's silly to even consider it as much of an expense.

Aviation isn't cheap and in relation to any other form of aviation "certification/license" the $150 every 2 years is dirt cheap. Why is this even an issue because anyone who studied the materials "should" have known from day one that it was a biennial process. Every 2 years we do it all over again and it's only $150 a pop. That's $75/year or $0.21/day.
I like your approach and your sales skills! From one professional salesman to another, I'm sure your sales skills are a big part of your success in your business, explaining to prospects why they can't afford not to hire you, despite the kid down the block who says he will do the same job without a 107 for the price of a new skateboard! ;) It's all in the presentation! :cool:

Reactions: BigAl07
I like your approach and your sales skills! From one professional salesman to another, I'm sure your sales skills are a big part of your success in your business, explaining to prospects why they can't afford not to hire you, despite the kid down the block who says he will do the same job without a 107 for the price of a new skateboard! ;) It's all in the presentation! :cool:

Yes I "Sell" for a living and have for many decades now :)

It's ironic you mention what you did because I am working for a new high end client tomorrow who initially told me my prices were too high. He told me, "You realize you're shooting for Real Estate listings and not National Geographic Covers don't you?" I chuckled and told him to keep my information, JUST IN CASE!!!

He went with a friends son to save some $$ and now he's coming back to me and going to pay FULL price (I offered him a discount on bulk projects initially). I don't know exactly what "Johnny Boy" did or did not do but whatever he produced was rejected by MLS and it's going to add to my bottom line LOL. I'll know more tomorrow when I meet him at his office in the Country Club. This should be interesting to say the least.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31