FAA Announces Part 107 Re-Testing Criteria

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
You could fly a 747 after passing that test

Huh? Did you take the Part 107 test? It's not rocket science at all if you study just a little bit. It's 60 questions and you only have to score 70% or higher.

It appears that they're retesting based on more practical knowledge than some of the "academic" topics from the initial exam. It will be interesting to hear how the first rounds of testing go and how things have changed.

I'm surprised - I expected the recertification to be online rather than in person at a testing center.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe next time LOL.

I like what I see in that document. Some new areas, that I think, are a step in the right direction. Addling knowledge about listening to communications struck me as a nice touch.

I'm surprised it took them this long to publish this, oh well 3 months to spare LOL

Huh? Did you take the Part 107 test? It's not rocket science at all if you study just a little bit. It's 60 questions and you only have to score 70% or higher.

No I'm down here in Oz and we can fly a sub 2kg drone commercially under the "excluded" category without doing any tests.
I just had a quick look at the table of contents and saw weather etc and thought they were going a bit far.

Reactions: BigAl07
No I'm down here in Oz and we can fly a sub 2kg drone commercially under the "excluded" category without doing any tests.
I just had a quick look at the table of contents and saw weather etc and thought they were going a bit far.

One thing that many of us who fly Phantoms or similar platforms tend to forget (or may not even know) is that Part 107 is about a lot more than just simple quads like the Phantoms. We have to keep in mind that Part 107 encompasses small multirotors, medium and large multirotors as well as large fixed wing aircraft. Sometimes weather, airport operations, and many other aspects can come into play with larger more complex air-frames. Part 107 "touches" on aspects across a broad range of aircraft and mission possibilities.

One thing that many of us who fly Phantoms or similar platforms tend to forget (or may not even know) is that Part 107 is about a lot more than just simple quads like the Phantoms. We have to keep in mind that Part 107 encompasses small multirotors, medium and large multirotors as well as large fixed wing aircraft. Sometimes weather, airport operations, and many other aspects can come into play with larger more complex air-frames. Part 107 "touches" on aspects across a broad range of aircraft and mission possibilities.

Thanks for the explanation.
That clears it up a bit.

upload_2018-5-31_13-29-48.png

Here is the associated percentages of items on the test:
recurrent.JPG

I'm surprised - I expected the recertification to be online rather than in person at a testing center.

In regards to the topic is this thread I was in a conversation with an FAA Rep this morning and he stated, "We should be announcing the recurrent plan next week. It's going to look very similar to the original certification process. No online version unless you are a current Part 61 airman. Sorry."

That popped my bubble LOL.

So the effective date for the new test criteria goes into effect immediately? I couldn’t find a date. I’ve been studying the current exam and was about ready to schedule a test. This throws a wrench in my plans

So the effective date for the new test criteria goes into effect immediately? I couldn’t find a date. I’ve been studying the current exam and was about ready to schedule a test. This throws a wrench in my plans
If you're preparing for your initial Part 107 exam, nothing has changed. You can do it now. If you're referring to the recertification (recurrency) exam, there would be no reason to take it any earlier than August (or whatever month you did take your initial exam in).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic