Extremely frustrating flyaway experience

Reaction score
First some background, I have easily over 150 hours flying my P2. Comfortable in both ATTI & GPS.

I was out over a lake yesterday (no powerlines or buildings, pretty much middle of nowhere) flying the P2.

Full GPS lock and home position set. All Green. Compass calibrated eariler that day in the same general area.

Full battery on start (checked before turning on).

Took the phantom out across the lake and back (approx. 60 seconds) got it back and then went to do it again. That's when things went bad. First, it shot straight up in the air with my sticks at center. Then I lost GPS on the phantom as indicated by the missing green lights on the phantom (it was only 15/20 ft above at this point, still very visable). Then I lost complete control, could not bring it down or move in any direction. It started going off in another direction towards the woods, I switched to ATTI to manually bring it back to land, still had absolutely 0 control of the unit. By the time I looked back at my fpv after it crossed the woods tree line the screen was showing snow (It must have hit a tree and cut the feed as it crashed).

Can someone explin what the heck happened? I had full battery, GPS lock, calibrated compass. This is completly unaccetable I would like to just mention that in all of the flights I have had this was the first time i lost GPS and had any issue, excpet for this it was working beautifully.

That's crazy. You made the right move in switching to atti. For future reference, I would add the "manual" switch and try that next, then proceed to turn off the remote.

When is the last time you did a compass calibration?

Some one I know had the very same thing happen to there fc40 friday. They were flying fine and every thing working then all the sudden they noticed the leds on the arms started blinking (that means compass error even tho it did not start intill they were about 5-6 mins in) Then all the controls started to not fly it in the right directions and he was having a real hard time getting it to land so he switched in to atti and it shot up in the air then took off the other direction like a bat out of hell and had no control of it whats so ever and even shutting the controller off did not put it in to fail safe.

That's crazy. You made the right move in switching to atti. For future reference, I would add the "manual" switch and try that next, then proceed to turn off the remote.

When is the last time you did a compass calibration?
So irritating when we look for help on here on you guys comment and ask questions without even completly reading or comprehending the original post!!!! Compass calibrated earlier in the day!!!

Reactions: unclebob
So irritating when we look for help on here on you guys comment and ask questions without even completly reading or comprehending the original post!!!! Compass calibrated earlier in the day!!!
Is this anything like posting the same information that has already be posted... as you just did? Sometime people don't always see everything in The post. It's not really a reason to criticize them in a seperate post.

the gps loss, loss of rc control, sounds like maybe a very short momentary battery disconnect? any chance it was loose or not in solid? switching to ATTI not working may also have been the RC not reconnected yet, or so far away that you could not see which direction to fly to bring it back in your panicked state?

did you find it?

Is this anything like posting the same information that has already be posted... as you just did? Sometime people don't always see everything in The post. It's not really a reason to criticize them in a seperate post.
It's simply a reminder if your wanting help out someone looking for help read what they posted!!! I've spent a great amount of time posting a lot of details in different posts with the intent that people such as yourself don't suggest to do what has already been done.... What do you know you end up with multiple posts suggesting to do things that you just described you have already done. When you're already frustrated with some problem and here looking for help it's extremely frustrated when all the advice is what you have already done... Didn't mean any offense

This same thing happen to me but doing a GS mission and I have a screen record of it on YouTube:

For the OP: it certainly sounds like a 'battery disconnect' even momentary. Have you cleaned the contacts with a contact cleaner lately? I had a few problems with my batteries at the start of the flying season after storage and cleaning the contacts seemed to solve a lot of problems. I never had a fly away just battery error messages in the app but still ...

For Prowler: It's hard to tell but did you start your mission when you were already aloft? Can you do that? The video certainly gave you lots of warnings early in the mission that something was wrong. Is there a reason that you didn't abort earlier?

For Prowler: It's hard to tell but did you start your mission when you were already aloft? Can you do that? The video certainly gave you lots of warnings early in the mission that something was wrong. Is there a reason that you didn't abort earlier?
I started mission at 150ft. everything was good until I hit the go button for the GS mission. I saw no early warning messages before hitting go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair