Extreme Flickering in Video Mode

Reaction score
I have had a Phantom 4 Pro for 2 years now and have had no issues with it at all Now, every time I put the camera in video mode the screen flickers very fast and part of the screen goes black, and not always the same section turns black as it flickers, it is very erratic. I have attached a screenshot from my iphone to show a still shot of the problem. I was unable to record video of the problem. The video does not show up on my iphone after flying and does not record to the mini sd card either. When I go back to camera mode everything is fine and I am able to take pictures and se them on my iphone and also my mini sd card.

I have tried using my ipad and a different iphone and still have the problem. I have used the mini sd card in another phantom 4 drone and there was no issue with the card. I have not done any updates whatsoever prior to this and it just started happening out of the blue.

Would anyone have any idea on what is causing this?

Thanks in advance!
IMG_0266.PNG

First, try another high quality SD card. If the old one has become corrupted it may not even format properly. Good luck

I have had- and keep having on start-up - a similar problem with my P4P - now about 2 years old. I have found by trial and error, that in my opinion - the problem is with the flexible ribbon that connects the camera through the gimbal to the internal mechanisms. I manipulate/palpate the ribbon, and push the gimbal up into the base of the drone, and it clears. This is frustrating, and I think the remedy is to get a new ribbon fitted. (not exactly cheap). Hope you get it sorted.

I would first try a different location and be suspect of RF interference - not sure I understand conditions at play, the faulty video records the same as seen on the application screen?

Thanks to those that have responded already........I will try to fly again once it stops snowing here in Massachusetts?(if you can believe it) to see if a different frequency makes a difference.

Yes, the video records just as is shown in the app screen.

The high quality card I used in this P4P works fine in my other P4.

I will also try to manipulate the ribbon to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again everyone ...stay tuned!

I did try flying using a different frequency....no luck. I also tried manually manipulating the ribbon that goes to the camera and up through the gimbal and also no luck and no change to the flickering.

I have purchased an OEM ribbon and I will be replacing the ribbon this week to see if it solves the problem. I’ve watched how to do it step by step on YouTube and at this point I have nothing to lose seeing I can’t film any video. Upon close examination of the pictures I’ve taken recently I can now see all the tiny red and green dots that others have experienced where a bad ribbon was mentioned. I will update as soon as I finish the ribbon install......fingers crossed.

UPDATE:

I purchased an OEM DJI ribbon for my Phantom 4 Pro and watched a video on youtube that showed the whole replacement from start to finish. I purchased the correct tools I needed to do the install and decided to give it a whirl. You will need a T6 Torx driver, a 1.5mm Hex driver and the smallest phillips screwdriver you can find. I found a phillips screwdriver set on Mcmaster Carr that did the trick. All of these drivers were purchased on McmasterCarr.com:
T6 Torx: #52995A11
1.5mm Hex driver : #52975A14
phillips driver set: #52985A23

I methodically took my time through the replacement but when it came time for me to connect the small "hook" connector on my P4P the ribbon I bought did NOT have the connector even though the OEM ribbon packaging said "Phantom 4 PRO". This was after nearly 1-1/2 hours of doing the replacement and it was at the end of the repair and I was pretty upset. Long story short, the guy I bought the ribbon from said that it would work fine if I did not connect the hook connector on the new ribbon....and he was right! This took 2 days to find this out. I initially thought I was doomed.

Everything about the ribbon replacement went fine if you TAKE YOUR TIME. I did have one problem. On the circuit board for the camera I broke a very small connector tab that holds in the connector tightly. Without it, it will not compress the connections and it WILL NOT WORK. I could not get the gamble to work and it kept saying that my drone was disconnected when I tried to power it up. I did notice that if I pushed on the ribbon that went into the connector with the broken tab, the nimble would move. I eventually bought some superglue and glued the broken connector tab on to the connector. I waited 24 hours, crossed my fingers and now everything works as it is supposed to. I no longer have any dots in my pictures and the flickering in my video has stopped completely.

The replacement of the ribbon worked for me. The whole process was a bit frustrating but I'm glad I did the replacement myself. It saved me a few hundred bucks in labor and waiting 2-3 weeks to get it back from a local drone repair shop. I have attached all the pictures of the broken connector problem so you can see what I am referring to. The tab on the connector is supposed to be "lifted" and I tried to pull it out, which is why it broke. I have also included links to the video I watched and the person I bought the flex ribbon from. If anyone needs further clarification on my thread please reach out to me. Thanks.

Video on ribbon replacement for a Phantom 4:

eBay ribbon replacement:

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 200