Extending the wifi range of the FC40 camera

Cajvol94 said:
Once again apologize for my ignorance. How does the FC40 camera connect to the repeater/booster? I purchased a TP Link WR703N with external antenna and just trying to figure how to make the device and camera communicate??? Before I chose the repeater as my wifi spot. Any help????

I don't have the TP Link, but all repeaters are pretty similar. The repeater will join the network generated by the FC40 camera, then create another network which you will join with your phone/tablet. You need to get into the repeater's configuration from your computer (just like setting up a router), turn on the FC40 camera, then set the repeater to join the FC40's wifi network. You'll also need to rename the TP Link's network to anything that starts with "FC40" or else the app won't connect to it. This should all be pretty well outlined in the TP Link manual though. It's also demonstrated in several videos online.

Some times when reconfiguring the extender I have to do it over if it don't set right cause the camera will shut off after a few minutes of not connecting to it with the ap. Then you have to reset the router and re try all over again and get it done before the cam times out. But it is pretty easy esp once you get the hang of it. and you can also name it FC40_ any thing you want" and don't have to use numbers like the dude in that video does. I usually name it FC40_extender

Went ahead and tested the fc40 camera stock with no booster and surprisingly got about 125yds so 375ft. I tried after a fully charge battery on the camera.

I just seen some one one the flytrex page that just bumped me off on the top spot for flight range got 1.7 miles and got PFV lost of the way till he turned around and lost signal. But I see he said hes using a Tenda wifi repeater Now I just need to find what model. cause thats just sick fpv range.

Go to You Tube and type in DJI Phantom FC 40 Camera Range Extender. New mod to help with range issue.

I recently bought a TP-Link TL-WA830RE 300Mbps Wireless N Range Extender from Amazon UK for £19 with free delivery.

This is a lightweight extender with some good antenna's already fitted. Take a look at the Amazon reviews.

Setup with the FC40 was easy, you don't even have to plug in a cable and pc, you can configure it directly over wifi using your phone. You can also rename the extender to FC40_<anything> and the DJI App will pick it up.

I don't have any reception/distance figures yet, but it does give a significant improvement in signal strength compared to the FC40's inbuilt wifi.

The extender needs an external 9v power supply but they are easy to setup.

:)

vonsworld said:
I recently bought a TP-Link TL-WA830RE 300Mbps Wireless N Range Extender from Amazon UK for £19 with free delivery.

This is a lightweight extender with some good antenna's already fitted. Take a look at the Amazon reviews.

Setup with the FC40 was easy, you don't even have to plug in a cable and pc, you can configure it directly over wifi using your phone. You can also rename the extender to FC40_<anything> and the DJI App will pick it up.

I don't have any reception/distance figures yet, but it does give a significant improvement in signal strength compared to the FC40's inbuilt wifi.

The extender needs an external 9v power supply but they are easy to setup.

:)

Tell us whats the distance with that two standard antennas. I also have that repeater and thinking if should I buy new better antennas. Thx

here is a link to my youtube video showing the range with just the extender and a new omni antenna. now that i have my hawking and all of my other fpv equipment i can use the osd to get some real actual range measurements. i plan on doing these this weekend. but if you watch the video and the 1 before it you can see that with just an extender and omni antenna i doubled if niot tripled range. but it still isnt dependable..not with that much cash flying around..forget wifi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE3g2nb ... eHRi8ZllOw

biomedchad said:
here is a link to my youtube video showing the range with just the extender and a new omni antenna. now that i have my hawking and all of my other fpv equipment i can use the osd to get some real actual range measurements. i plan on doing these this weekend. but if you watch the video and the 1 before it you can see that with just an extender and omni antenna i doubled if niot tripled range. but it still isnt dependable..not with that much cash flying around..forget wifi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE3g2nb ... eHRi8ZllOw

I know that repeater will extend my wifi range. But I wanted to know if I will buy some better antennas (ex. One omni and one directional) will be big difference in range or just a little?
Thx

How about attaching an extender to the Phantom?

Much of this discussion is about having a WiFi extender on the ground near the pilot, which I'm sure works well, but has anyone tried attaching an extender to the Phantom?

I understand that the FC40 camera isn't as powerful as a regular WiFi router/transmitter and that also the output power is reduced when the camera is recording to the memory card. By fitting an extender on the aircraft you could be sure the camera is outputting the maximum WiFi signal at all times.

This also might be helpful for GoPro owners, since I believe those cameras have low Wifi output power, and might mean they can be used for FPV.

Take a look at this Vonets Mini 300 extender, it's supposed to be the smallest in the world and gives the full 100 metre range. It's half the size of a credit card and weighs 23 grams:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400728174760?

This would easily fit on the phantom and could be powered from the onboard supply. The extender needs 5v power through it's micro usb socket, but using a tiny regulator like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181445956761?

the power could be directly taken from the Phantom.

I've ordered the mini extender and will let you know how it performs in a later post :)

I' interested in knowing if any one tried just the antenna on the camera mod with out any repeater and what kind of improvement they got on range just by that alone.

There was a post here with a guide to adding an antenna to the camera itself, but not sure if anyone actually did it and if it work. I bought an additional camera cheap from Ebay to try it and I will post my findings once I get it done.

ya I seen that post about how to add the antenna which up to that point I wanted to try. But after the other person also came up with the same idea and posted that post I wanted to wait to see if any one else tried it and it seems the post turned in to a range extender mod post.

Now tho I will have to wait any way to ever be able to try that mod on the fc40 camera. Had another power failure today while flying and the fc40 did a swam dive from about 400 feet up in to some pine trees. and it ripped the camera off along with the anti jello mount and the holder. I searched every were on the ground near were it eventually crashed and the camera or any of the parts were no were around. So I'm pretty sure they are still up about 100 feet some were in the thick tree canopy. So now I have to think about if I want to replace the cam or not.

Modded the cam (with a 9dBi antenna) and tried...
The antennas mount point was in center of the bottom shell, pointing 45° backwards down (because of the antenna length).
Suboptimal... after activating the cam and starting the engine the Phantom went immediately out of control - had a spontaneous liftoff, some kind of 180° curve (after shredding leafes from the tree) and smacked down.
Fortunatelly I only lost a set of props and got a scarf into the shell...
I guess either the compass or the RC receiver where heavily disturbed...

SusisStrolch said:
Modded the cam (with a 9dBi antenna) and tried...
The antennas mount point was in center of the bottom shell, pointing 45° backwards down (because of the antenna length).
Suboptimal... after activating the cam and starting the engine the Phantom went immediately out of control - had a spontaneous liftoff, some kind of 180° curve (after shredding leafes from the tree) and smacked down.
Fortunatelly I only lost a set of props and got a scarf into the shell...
I guess either the compass or the RC receiver where heavily disturbed...

tbh, that doesnt make any sense.
One should have nothing to do with the other, especially with the difference frequencies.
Could it be the extra weight made it off balance and you had to compensate on lift-off?

Even if of balance a bit should not do that. My fc40 flys ok even with a larger battery in it and my 40gram gps tracker attacked to one of the legs and one of the rx antennas is moded to take interchange able antennas. Tho When I fly a long antenna I need to start out with it bent up then when its a few feet in the air I straighten it out some but leave it so its at an angle so that when the phantom is flying and tiled forward the antenna points straight down. and when I land I have to sort of give it a lill bit of reverse so it kicks the antenna up as its coming to a landing.

J.James said:
Tho When I fly a long antenna I need to start out with it bent up then when its a few feet in the air I straighten it out some but leave it so its at an angle so that when the phantom is flying and tiled forward the antenna points straight down. and when I land I have to sort of give it a lill bit of reverse so it kicks the antenna up as its coming to a landing.
So - where did you mount that antenna - and how do you control it's position after take-off? Mechanical with some kind of hinge?

Btw - after the crash I did a simple test. Placed the Phantom without props on the table, started it and pointed the antenna (with active connect to smartphone) to various places (compass, rx antenna). You can hear that the motor speed changes as soon as you get closer to compass or rx...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl