Expected Phantom 3 Lifetime duration?

The FAA does not think they will ever last over 3 years, hence the reason there is not a renewal process for registration. They estimate the lifespan of 1 year for 90% of sUAS.

That was a good assumption and proven case leading up to this point, but that is because the use of multirotors is just graduating past infancy. The planes and helis I have had over the years have lasted 5-10 years before I replaced them, but there was a lot less as far electronics go. The reason the upgrade or replacement cycle has been so high on this type of craft is because the technology is still coming into place. Better gyroscopes and accelerometers, better antennas for communication and positioning, better motors and propellers, better battery technology, better cameras and gimbal systems.

Looking at the technology and advances in just the past 5 years, THAT is why the replacement cycle is seen as 1 year...but what would have to be on the next generation to make you upgrade? Some of us just upgrade because we want the latest or the newest shiny toy, but what new FEATURE would make us upgrade sooner? Longer battery life, for sure. Better camera, maybe. Longer range, possibly. Faster and more efficient motors, likely. Higher quality live video feed, I suppose. Something we never even thought of, definitely!

That was a good assumption and proven case leading up to this point, but that is because the use of multirotors is just graduating past infancy. The planes and helis I have had over the years have lasted 5-10 years before I replaced them, but there was a lot less as far electronics go. The reason the upgrade or replacement cycle has been so high on this type of craft is because the technology is still coming into place. Better gyroscopes and accelerometers, better antennas for communication and positioning, better motors and propellers, better battery technology, better cameras and gimbal systems.

Looking at the technology and advances in just the past 5 years, THAT is why the replacement cycle is seen as 1 year...but what would have to be on the next generation to make you upgrade? Some of us just upgrade because we want the latest or the newest shiny toy, but what new FEATURE would make us upgrade sooner? Longer battery life, for sure. Better camera, maybe. Longer range, possibly. Faster and more efficient motors, likely. Higher quality live video feed, I suppose. Something we never even thought of, definitely!
Good questions I'm intrigued to see what the p4 will hold as the p3 is a very good quad it's gonna be hard to top it, a better camera and more battery life would be a plus for me also some form of fail safe system or parachute system incase of a motor or esc failure in flight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna wait for the one that I just plug into my brain and it allows me to fly virtually, sort of like lsd in the old days..lol.

I think the real issue like noted above is, as the technology progresses, will we want to fly the old stuff when the new stuff does stuff we cannot even imagine right now..

I'm thinking of my first computer (in 1980), a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 3, and comparing it with the quality and capabilities of today's microcomputers. Because I'll be 80 years old in June I don't expect to be around to enjoy the same growth in sophistication of the rc quad so I can only imagine what they might be like.

I'm also remembering when the VCR was introduced in 1980. It was a large clunker with an elaborate carriage that popped up from the top to load a tape. But it was amazing. It did what it was supposed to -- and it cost eight hundred and fifty bucks! The last VCR I bought (about three years ago) was small and sleek. It is comparatively sophisticated, very easy to use, and cost only about $125.

What I would hope to see in my lifetime is an rc quad that doesn't call for the expertise of the typical computer geek to exploit all of its capabilities. It will have sophisticated obstacle-avoidance sensing and absolutely reliable failsafe RTH capability. The controller will have a built-in 10" screen with military-grade HD quality

Realistically, I don't expect to see anything like that. But as long as I'm able to get outside and see well enough to push the buttons and keep bringing it home I'll be satisfied.

I would hope it will last a minimum of at least four years. These things are not disposable toys. I would not have paid as much as I did for one year of use. I will be extremely upset if it dies after only three years or less. Think about what goes into these things. Then look at your basic SYMA X5 series. These are definitely built to last more than a year or two.
Exactly my thoughts on the matter. If these things start falling apart after a year or so the result will be such negative publicity the Phantom series will soon be a memory.

Re: your Syma x5 comment; I bought my x5c when they were introduced and I won't even guess how much I've flown it. I've replaced two motors and two props. It spent two weeks in a tree during rainstorms, my grandkids bounce it off the ceilings and walls every time they're here and my yorkie got hold of it once. And it's still going as good as it ever did.

I'm thinking of my first computer (in 1980), a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 3, and comparing it with the quality and capabilities of today's microcomputers. Because I'll be 80 years old in June I don't expect to be around to enjoy the same growth in sophistication of the rc quad so I can only imagine what they might be like.

I'm also remembering when the VCR was introduced in 1980. It was a large clunker with an elaborate carriage that popped up from the top to load a tape. But it was amazing. It did what it was supposed to -- and it cost eight hundred and fifty bucks! The last VCR I bought (about three years ago) was small and sleek. It is comparatively sophisticated, very easy to use, and cost only about $125.

What I would hope to see in my lifetime is an rc quad that doesn't call for the expertise of the typical computer geek to exploit all of its capabilities. It will have sophisticated obstacle-avoidance sensing and absolutely reliable failsafe RTH capability. The controller will have a built-in 10" screen with military-grade HD quality

Realistically, I don't expect to see anything like that. But as long as I'm able to get outside and see well enough to push the buttons and keep bringing it home I'll be satisfied.

It was a couple years later, but the first computer I ever programmed on was also the TRS-80 Model 3. I was 5 or 6 years old and was making circles that would infinitely bounce off each other in differing speeds depending on the colour they hit and playing the text based dungeon crawler Labyrinth of the Minotaur. One of my tattoos is actually the mainboard from that machine. Now in my 30s and those circles are now balls in a VR space. Technology!

There are two types of quad flyers out there and there will be a divide between what they want. Just like automatic vs manual cars, there are the people who want to get out there and manually fly around for hours always at the helm (me) and those that just want to push a button and have it do what they want. Even though there are some automated features, I think the DJI Phantom line will try to keep the manual flyers happy and in full control. Then there are things like the Lilycam which just have a mode toggle to choose what camera movements it makes. Fully automated systems are not quite here yet, but I don't think they are more than 5 years off. In your lifetime you will almost guaranteed get to see voice activated quads that just do what you tell them to do!

IRe: your Syma x5 comment; I bought my x5c when they were introduced and I won't even guess how much I've flown it. I've replaced two motors and two props. It spent two weeks in a tree during rainstorms, my grandkids bounce it off the ceilings and walls every time they're here and my yorkie got hold of it once. And it's still going as good as it ever did.

The Syma x5c is a beast! That thing has been run into walls, tvs, trees, the ground and it still keeps ticking. It eats through batteries, but that little guy is a lot of fun indoors and out (on a non-windy day). I have 10 batteries for it to keep me in the air for a while and a usb charger and battery pack will keep you going even longer. I have in total 14 broken props for probably 50 hours in the air vs 1 broken prop on my P3P in about 80 hours in the air. I have put it through it's paces and it always comes out alive. I imagine if it had more sophistication then it would be a little more delicate, but it gets the job done how it is!

I can see within the next 2-3 generations of quad copters sensors similar to the present positioning sensor being used to gain height with topography and outward multi directional looking for damage limitation concerning flying into obstacles. They could quite easily be integrated at a premium, why the premium? Because manufacturers would be losing millions on spares and repairs !

I would hope it will last a minimum of at least four years. These things are not disposable toys. I would not have paid as much as I did for one year of use. I will be extremely upset if it dies after only three years or less. Think about what goes into these things. Then look at your basic SYMA X5 series. These are definitely built to last more than a year or two.
With Technology changing so fast, I am sure it will last as long as the next "BEST" bird becomes available... these things are like phones...

I think if you change the motors ($60 for 4) every other year or maybe 18 months with hard use it should last indefinitely with other minor routine maintenance. Aside from the motors you can expect the gimbal motors to die eventually. If you don't have any crashes, don't get cracks in the shell, and perform the above steps I think your quadcopter can last a long time. I have 4 batteries and I expect my P3P to outlast all 4 of my batteries.
Why do you think the motors will die in a year or so? It seems that unexpected motor failure (no crash, no foreign object) is pretty rare.

Why do you think the motors will die in a year or so? It seems that unexpected motor failure (no crash, no foreign object) is pretty rare.
I just said that perhaps we should change our motors every other year, or 18 months with hard use. That means ever year and half to 2 years. It is a preventative thing because we phantom pilots only have quadcopters and if a motor goes out mid flight you are dropping out of the air. DJI even says that the motors should only be replaced if they are damaged or as part of routine maintenance. I would rather pay $70 every other year to change the motors than have my phantom crash and burn. Over the life of the phantom you would probably only change the motors twice before the tech becomes obsolete and you just fly it until it crashes (not over people or property of course)

I just said that perhaps we should change our motors every other year, or 18 months with hard use. That means ever year and half to 2 years. It is a preventative thing because we phantom pilots only have quadcopters and if a motor goes out mid flight you are dropping out of the air. DJI even says that the motors should only be replaced if they are damaged or as part of routine maintenance. I would rather pay $70 every other year to change the motors than have my phantom crash and burn. Over the life of the phantom you would probably only change the motors twice before the tech becomes obsolete and you just fly it until it crashes (not over people or property of course)
I.may have been living a charmed existennce with RC motors... in my experience they have always had a change in performance or other mechanically discernable change (end float, or bearing roughness/armature-stator contact when rotatimg by hand). Always an advance warning. Never failed in flight. EsC's are a different story.

I would guess that, on average, you will create more problems by routinely replacing a normal motor than preventing a crash. It would be interesting to see just how long a Phantom class UAV actually lives. Further, I would guess that Phantoms flown hard by enthusiasts will be replaced / upgraded well before motor failure.

Or we're just going to crash them....

I would guess that, on average, you will create more problems by routinely replacing a normal motor than preventing a crash. It would be interesting to see just how long a Phantom class UAV actually lives. Further, I would guess that Phantoms flown hard by enthusiasts will be replaced / upgraded well before motor failure.

Or we're just going to crash them....
I wonder who has the longest distance flown for their phantom 3 on healthydrones. I flew 60 miles total in my first month, I wonder if the phantom 3 motors will make it 1000 miles.

Just a note, the Phantom 1 was released 3 years ago last month and there seem to still be quite a few people flying those (based on the forums) so I would say lifespan is at least 3 years...and involves a heavy discount as the new ones comes out.

@UnknownCaller may have the largest flight record. Over 10 million feet, or 1900+ miles last I knew, and he's still flying and adding to the logs. I'm sure he will confirm this for us once he sees the post.

So, who has the most miles, flights on their P3P/A?

SD
Yeah I'm at 13.5 million right now but some of that is on my M 100 about 2.5 million been flying that one a lot more lately. The p3s that I have all have battery mods so keep that mind that's a lot more weight added and stress I put this thing through the paces. I'm not 100% on exactly how many miles are on each one I know 11.5 million feet is about 2178 miles. That split between 3 phantoms. Each one is overloaded by at least 400 grams so I have no doubt that a well taken care of p3 can handle a thousand miles. I wish I could break it down a little better than that my car got robbed the other day and my M 100 one of my p3s and my iPad and controller were taken so I have for data is what is saved on my cell phone. I have a screenshot for those that don't believe it hope it helps.

Screenshot_2016-02-21-09-34-38.png

Reactions: Noble 1
Yeah I'm at 13.5 million right now but some of that is on my M 100 about 2.5 million been flying that one a lot more lately. The p3s that I have all have battery mods so keep that mind that's a lot more weight added and stress I put this thing through the paces. I'm not 100% on exactly how many miles are on each one I know 11.5 million feet is about 2178 miles. That split between 3 phantoms. Each one is overloaded by at least 400 grams so I have no doubt that a well taken care of p3 can handle a thousand miles. I wish I could break it down a little better than that my car got robbed the other day and my M 100 one of my p3s and my iPad and controller were taken so I have for data is what is saved on my cell phone. I have a screenshot for those that don't believe it hope it helps.

My condolences on your losses. That really sucks. Do you have insurance to cover it? I hope you do. What will you replace them with? Really sorry for the loss, hope you make out ok.

My condolences on your losses. That really sucks. Do you have insurance to cover it? I hope you do. What will you replace them with? Really sorry for the loss, hope you make out ok.
Thanks man I'm waiting to see what happens the police have footage of the people that took it so it's possible they might be able to get my stuff back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.