Expected Phantom 3 Lifetime duration?

Flippin' 'ek - I sure hope that my P3P is going to last waaaaaaaaay more than 12 months! I love how one has to get past the negative stories of crashes, restricted zones and flight restrictions only to read the actual kit is only good for one year. [emoji23][emoji38][emoji17][emoji19][emoji35]

UK

Been doing some *** packet calculations and I reckon a minimum 15-20 years. You would have to do regular maintenance and change parts as they wear out,which in that period would consist of , probably, 20 new motors, 50 sets of props , 3 new bodies, 5 sets landing gears, 3 boards, 2 cameras c/w gimbals, 2 controllers and 25 batteries...........

Reactions: dommycork
Been doing some *** packet calculations and I reckon a minimum 15-20 years. You would have to do regular maintenance and change parts as they wear out,which in that period would consist of , probably, 20 new motors, 50 sets of props , 3 new bodies, 5 sets landing gears, 3 boards, 2 cameras c/w gimbals, 2 controllers and 25 batteries...........
I think after a few years I'll crash it into a wall and buy the latest model.

UK

That's a bit like Trigger and his famous Council Brush.

Happydays, you beat me too it with the 'Triggers broom' comparison.. :)

Brian T's 15 year old phantom would actually be at least 2 phantoms.

I'll bet the Yanks don't get it though!

EDIT: for our 'Merican friends, here is the explanation.

I'll bet the Yanks don't get it though!

EDIT: for our 'Merican friends, here is the explanation.

classic 80's and 90's british tv...but then again the yanks did have TJ hooker and Airwolf they were pretty good comedy's too!!o_O

As has been mentioned, P1 and P2 are still in the air without problems. The only real reason to get a new one every year is for the upgrades (range, camera, power, etc). If treated properly, these things last for many years. I have an RC helicopter that I have had for 7-8 years now that still works perfectly, it just doesn't have nearly the same technology as the RC helicopters of today. Basically, expect to outgrow it before it conks out on you.

Reactions: Royr1957 and Grae
I think the answer to the topic question will depend on how well the quad is cared for and how capable the owner is of diagnosing problems and replacing worn or defective parts. With that consideration in mind it may be said a Phantom could last a year or less -- or it could still be flying after many years of careful use and loving care.

Reactions: Grae
As has been mentioned, P1 and P2 are still in the air without problems. The only real reason to get a new one every year is for the upgrades (range, camera, power, etc). If treated properly, these things last for many years. I have an RC helicopter that I have had for 7-8 years now that still works perfectly, it just doesn't have nearly the same technology as the RC helicopters of today. Basically, expect to outgrow it before it conks out on you.
Whats the secret? Seems like i spent more time repairing RC helis than flying. Im guessing a 600 size nitro with a scale fuselage.... any of the highly strung 3D setups are a bottomless pit money wise.

Pffftttt T J Hooker / Airwolf ? They had Daisy Duke and Babewatch.
That's a bloody good point let me retract my statement Mmmm daisy duke....happy memories lol!

Does anyone have any idea how long a phantom 3 (in my case a P3A) is expected to last.. Assume props are changed when needed, no crashes etc.

I am thinking maybe in terms of expected mileage, or hours flown before motors start to fail, or motor bearings need maintenance etc?

I appreciate the battery might need to be replaced, but it's the airframe expected duration I am interested in..

By the way, I have the old motors if that makes a difference..

Does anyone have any stats yet?
Until the motor mounts break!

Ditto.

Same with the Syma x5c I've had since they were first marketed. I've changed two motors and two props in all that time and my granddaughter has beat the hell out of it. It once spent two weeks in a tree, through two heavy rainstorms, and fell about 40 feet when an extreme wind blew it down. When I dried it off and changed the battery it took off and flew like nothing happened.

I still have it and it still flies.

it's so funny the cheaper the drone the longer the last and they not as fragile as the more expensive ones. I've got a micro quad as well which I fly very often in doors and all I ever change are the props which my son always crashing it into the walls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FAA does not think they will ever last over 3 years, hence the reason there is not a renewal process for registration. They estimate the lifespan of 1 year for 90% of sUAS.

From the FAA document, "Registration and Marking Requirements for Small Unmanned Aircraft (RIN 2120-AK82)"

A very important assumption in the forecast is that the life span of all model sUAS less than 55 pounds is one year or less, with the exception that 10% of modeler units last into a second year but are then retired. Interviewees indicate that under-55 pound-sUAS have very short life spans because they are damaged, destroyed or reach the end of their serviceable lives through use, generally within one year. This assumption drives unit sales, especially in the non-model sector where owners replace units each year."

"The FAA also notes that non-modelers will not have to renew their registration for a small unmanned aircraft for this analysis because the expected life span of non-modeler sUAS less than 55 pounds is one year or less; even if some survive longer than one year, essentially none are expected to last beyond three years."

Reactions: Noble 1

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20