Exercising motors evenly

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but my father in law came buy today and I showed him the P4P. He was thoroughly impressed. He did ask a odd question I never thought about. He noticed I flew forward mostly, so he asked if doing so will cause the rear motors to wear more compared to the front motors. So it got me thinking. Should I try to make it a habit to fly all directions to exercise the motors evenly? What is your thought on this? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T710 using PhantomPilots mobile app

You'll likely sell/retire your Phantom before you ever wear out the motors by flying it.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
This might be a stupid question but my father in law came buy today and I showed him the P4P. He was thoroughly impressed. He did ask a odd question I never thought about. He noticed I flew forward mostly, so he asked if doing so will cause the rear motors to wear more compared to the front motors. So it got me thinking. Should I try to make it a habit to fly all directions to exercise the motors evenly? What is your thought on this? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T710 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, you should rotate the props every 10,000 feet of use. Just kidding. The Phantom is Flight Technology & not a car. Each motor on the Phantom is constantly changing speeds regardless of which direction you fly. All is well, just fly and enjoy.

Question guys. While calibrating imu. Does it need to be away from any metals or stuff like that?

Ok thank you. One thing I noticed today while flying. When I would go left or roght and stop it would sort of drift forward. Not everytime but it was kind of weird. Also while hovering it would sort of do the toilet bowl thing. Only very slightly though. I checked the compass and looked good. 1 was around 14 and the other 20. I changed the props and it still did it but not everytime either. Wasn't windy. Maybe 5-6 mph breeze. Maybe it's normal and I don't remember ir doing it. I need to do more testing .

The little bit of rest the front motors may enjoy while pitched in forward flight is more than counteracted by the aggressive ramp up they perform when active braking kicks in....... Seriously, I don't think this is worth worrying about it. DJI would have sourced motors with a spec that allows for any performance characteristics demanded by the flight controller. Motor issues are almost always evident well before catastrophic failure in any case. Routinely manually manipulate for evident end float, axial play and binding/roughness (disregard the cogging from the permanent magnets on the rotors) and you should be fine.

When I would go left or roght and stop it would sort of drift forward.

Also while hovering it would sort of do the toilet bowl thing. Only very slightly though. I checked the compass and looked good.

Do you mean when in a hover while stopped, and you yawed left or right, the craft would drift forward? Was this within 30' of ground? Was VPS turned on ?

Regarding the toilet bowl thing, was this within 30' of ground? If no, I would calibrate the compasses again, regardless of the readings.

Reactions: With The Birds
Do you mean when in a hover while stopped, and you yawed left or right, the craft would drift forward? Was this within 30' of ground? Was VPS turned on ?

Regarding the toilet bowl thing, was this within 30' of ground? If no, I would calibrate the compasses again, regardless of the readings.
Yes about 15 ft. Vps is turned on.

No I meant while flying sideways about 10mph I would stop and it seemed to sort of drift forward while stopping.

He did ask a odd question I never thought about. He noticed I flew forward mostly, so he asked if doing so will cause the rear motors to wear more compared to the front motors.
DJI has you covered, that's why they gave you rear facing object avoidance, so you can fly backwards now to even out the motor wear. NOT! :D:D Just kidding.

Don't worry about those motors, just go fly.

Reactions: cr6

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic