ex CEO Colin Guinn is ALIVE, Files legal Injunction against

Re: ex CEO Colin Guinn is ALIVE, Files legal Injunction agai

If this principle was applied to al lemployees the world of commerce would come to a halt. I find the whole sage simply amazing.

arinvideo said:
What is the big worry.. there are a bunch of Chinese sellers on ebay selling parts it may take a extra few days to get to you but no reason to start hoarding.

Hey stop this.

My wife thinks there is a world shortage !!!! your going to get me in trouble :?

macheung said:
For those who are wondering if it possible to use a non dji battery on the p2 or p2v, there is an active thread going on at rcgroups. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2085480

I for one do not appreciate being locked down. Those batteries are good granted, but single sourcing a critical consumable item is just a bad idea. Especially if extra effort is placed into the product to lock it down instead if other improvements. Made better battery? Good for you. Place it on the market and let people decide, but don't out of your way to lock down your product.

Which is great, and I get why people want to use their own stock of lipos but... The Smart battery wasn't exactly sprung on everyone after they bought the Vision or P2 so everyone was aware they would be "locked down". It's not exactly new in the technology field for a company to protect their IP by making a new product in the range use something different and proprietary compared to the previous models. I wouldn't be surprised in DJI are looking to licence the electronics in their battery allowing other manufacturers to produce their own compatible versions - but DJI will want to recoup the R&D, tooling and others costs in developing the battery first (which, on a power to weight measure, seems to be more efficient than most other batteries out there - it may be a chemistry thing, as well as an electronics thing in which case more costs to recover).

FWIW I just ordered a Phantom 2 w/Zenmuse from B&H this morning. It's in stock and shipping today along with a spare battery and a set of props. The salesman didn't seem to know anything about a TRO on new stock, but that does not surprise me. It'll be interesting to see if stocks dry up soon.

Anyone interested in buying a gently broken in P2V can contact me. I'll won't gouge you too much. :0

Just saw this on Facebook

Peter Ellin‎DJI Phantom 2 Vision Owners Page
Alot of you members here and on the other forums have been apprised of the "Injunction" issue between DJI and Colin Guinn. As of 11am EST our company ACES DEALS has been listed exempt from this injunction. While we cannot go into details at this very moment we are very excited that our supply line will not be interrupted. Other dealers such as B&H etc have been affected by this interruption and we will work closely with helping our fellow dealers help you. We want to personally thank the members who have purchased from us and those that we have talked with on the phone assisting wherever possible. We will continue to provide the best service we can and will be here to help any and all members both here in the USA and worldwide. Sincerely, Peter Ellin, President of ACES DEALS.

Pull_Up said:
developing the battery first (which, on a power to weight measure, seems to be more efficient than most other batteries out there - it may be a chemistry thing, as well as an electronics thing in which case more costs to recover).

Or it could be the old "razor blade" business model. Give away the razor and make your money on the blades"

Not sure $1100 for a Phantom is exactly "giving it away"

What are people's experience with batteries" How many charge/discharge cycles before they start getting pooped?

DJI themselves spec the battery as good for 300 charging cycles. Based on my current number of cycles and % of life reported by the battery via the Assistant that is both realistic and a little conservative (I don't push my batteries hard, though - always land before they drop below 18%).

Assuming an average of 22 mins flight per discharge cycle that works out at about £1 per hour of actual flying time as an ongoing "consumable" expense... Obviously that's +/- but doesn't seem outrageous to me (especially as a two-battery sortie, with travelling and setup time keeps me out of the house for about an hour and a half). Actually - capital cost of aircraft aside - that seems **** cheap for something I enjoy rather a lot! I would get my wife, who's an accountant, to amortize the capital cost into the expected lifespan of the whole unit plus depreciation and factor in some extra for spare motors, etc, to get a true hourly cost but I'd actually quite like to keep my genitalia intact a bit longer. ;)

Pull_Up said:
DJI themselves spec the battery as good for 300 charging cycles. Based on my current number of cycles and % of life reported by the battery via the Assistant that is both realistic and a little conservative (I don't push my batteries hard, though - always land before they drop below 18%).

Assuming an average of 22 mins flight per discharge cycle that works out at about £1 per hour of actual flying time as an ongoing "consumable" expense... Obviously that's +/- but doesn't seem outrageous to me (especially as a two-battery sortie, with travelling and setup time keeps me out of the house for about an hour and a half). Actually - capital cost of aircraft aside - that seems **** cheap for something I enjoy rather a lot! I would get my wife, who's an accountant, to amortize the capital cost into the expected lifespan of the whole unit plus depreciation and factor in some extra for spare motors, etc, to get a true hourly cost but I'd actually quite like to keep my genitalia intact a bit longer. ;)
ditto

Thankfully not ALL North American dealer are included in the injunction. Some of us never went through Colin and dealt directly with DJI.

I bought mine from intelligent uas http://1uas.com/ They had their relationship way before Collin was around as it says on their website. They stand behind their products 100%

jondrew said:
Pull_Up said:
developing the battery first (which, on a power to weight measure, seems to be more efficient than most other batteries out there - it may be a chemistry thing, as well as an electronics thing in which case more costs to recover).

Or it could be the old "razor blade" business model. Give away the razor and make your money on the blades"

Not sure $1100 for a Phantom is exactly "giving it away"

What are people's experience with batteries" How many charge/discharge cycles before they start getting pooped?

My main concern isn't necessary about the cost but the fact that our investment in time and money is locked down because of this critical consumable part. This isn't like inkjet printers where they basically give away the printer for free and you just throw away to get a new one. A lot of us spend a lot more upgrading and customizing our rigs. What if DJI goes out of business? What if they decide to end support for the p2 later because something else comes along. Before anyone says that they wont do that, just remember what happened to Microsoft's "plays for sure" music drm system.

I am in canada and as far as I know my dealer multirotorheli will not be affected none the less I purchased 2 batteries and another charger

If the us market is truly affected a 159cad battery. Will look very attractive to the us market and thus will possibly cause shortages up here

I was going to purchase them anyway so I accelerated my buy by a few weeks

I legally can't see why any sane judge would grant Colin's request he was employed. He got paid for his days work and got fired he can't just take all the work he did on company time with company assets and say "mine". That is not the way it works

Whatever you create on the company time and dollar belongs to the company not you... This hola true for movie houses where blockbusters are edited and animated etc. to programmers at apple, oracle, Microsoft, IBM, and the infinite list goes on and on The folks who write some of the most used intellectual property in the world are compensated for their abilities quite well I might add :) and once done turn over the keys and go on to the next game changer

Those at the top (of which I sadly am not). Are not the tappers of keyboards but the "idea" men who sell a vision and ultimately pay the price for success or failure. Not us in the trenches

So really I can't see any sane judge upholding this unless he has the attitude of screw the Chinese or other foreigner who seeks entry into the US market. This seems like a judges personal agenda at play here

@ THell: not so simple.
Colin and his partner Tao Wang seem to hold controlling stake in Dajiang North America LLC, which DJI Innovations Inc is a subsidiary of. Have a bit of faith in the US court system.. (Just a bit, not so much :geek: )

Pull_Up said:
"[A]ssociate" seems a very deliberate choice of words in that release, doesn't it?

Yes it does. I don't know how they have the front to claim exceptional customer service though.

I just picked up a P2V battery at "allerc" for $159 + free shipping even though Amazon's are currently 169

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav