ex CEO Colin Guinn is ALIVE, Files legal Injunction against

Re: ex CEO Colin Guinn is ALIVE, Files legal Injunction agai

That GlowFet is the scoop of the year. Lets see the comments that flow when people wake up to what you have just posted. I have just emailed my supplier in the UK drawing his attention to this news. Provided he is not captured by this injunction as well then I am sure he would be happy to supply the US market until it blows over.

Shrimpy

Looks like you'll be buying from Amazon then.

Better order you spares, like props, while you can. These things are never settled quickly.

Update: Did a quick check - prices already starting to rise!

Its bad news if you are trying to buy a new phantom, good news if you are listing something in the classified section. I think it might screw up the FPV hub, P2 prop guards, and possibly the firmware for the ground station. Considering that was filed on wednesday and the FPV hub was just announced yesterday, technically DJI can't get them to the dealers in the states. Unless they just so happen to already have been on their way.

On the flip side, you can always buy from dealers that Colin didn't establish. But considering that the injunction is for 31 dealers, (and there are only about 20 authorized dealers listed in the US) that would include dealers in Canada and the UK and where ever else Colin put his greedy little fingers on. Once you do the exchange rate and the international shipping, it will end up being cheaper to buy stuff from the classified section.

Shrimpy, I wouldn't be surprised if your dealer is included in that list of 31. I paid $30 US dollars for the plug and play cable from Firstperson and it was listed at £12.49. The Phantom 2 w/ Zenmuse package is listed at £624 which is $1029 (and thats on the real exchange rate, not the one that paypal or the credit cards use to rack us over the coals). That price is $150 over what we pay here. Then you add the shipping charge and its crazy expensive.

I have a feeling you are going to be some "SOLD OUT" signs on websites soon.

wincrasher said:
Looks like you'll be buying from Amazon then.

Better order you spares, like props, while you can. These things are never settled quickly.

Update: Did a quick check - prices already starting to rise!

Batteries and chargers. Its the little things that will go faster. Like the whole issue with guns post the school shootings. You could find guns everywhere still, you just couldn't and still can't find ammo. You'll still be able to find Phantoms around, not so much with finding props or batteries. Now is when owning a vision or P2 that only uses the DJI battery sucks.

I think there is a dangerous assumption in that video - that Colin was an employee of DJI.

I understand the frustration from the guy in the video but we don't have anywhere near enough information to make the assertion that Colin was a simple employee that was fired from his job. He very well could be on good legal ground in suing DJI for breach of contract. He could be doing exactly what needs to be done to solve his problem. I don't know. And as such I can't pass any judgement on the situation.

I can state that it is unfortunate that such a serious relief has been sought. I also hope it is resolved quickly. I hope DJI doesn't turn their back on the market here over this. The Chinese can be very obstinate. This I do know from personal experience. I'm married to one.

Hmm... parallel imports will still flow...
But there may be slight gap in stocks when the current stock runs out (few weeks at most), so if you need to buy something, might as well grab one now...

LandYachtMedia said:
I'm married to one.

At least you can get her relatives to smuggle in some supplies :D

LandYachtMedia said:
I think there is a dangerous assumption in that video - that Colin was an employee of DJI.

I understand the frustration from the guy in the video but we don't have anywhere near enough information to make the assertion that Colin was a simple employee that was fired from his job. He very well could be on good legal ground in suing DJI for breach of contract. He could be doing exactly what needs to be done to solve his problem. I don't know. And as such I can't pass any judgement on the situation.

I can state that it is unfortunate that such a serious relief has been sought. I also hope it is resolved quickly. I hope DJI doesn't turn their back on the market here over this. The Chinese can be very obstinate. This I do know from personal experience. I'm married to one.

I agree. I also think that after the Phantom 1 caught on, it wasn't like Colin was having to go out and beg for business, it seems like EVERYONE wanted to sell Phantoms. Thats especially true with the growing number of Phantom "dealers" you see popping up. Companies like FloridaUAV.com and UAV-outlet.com are just two examples of "start ups" that are selling phantoms to get in on the action.

Well my UK dealer was unaware of this. He does not think it will affect us but he does say you can never be sure. I have asked him a few more questions which I will share if I can.

I know you should never panic but I have just grabbed two more batteries and some other bits and bobs.

Actually something that hasn't been brought up yet. How will this affect repair and returns? There are 15 new posts daily in the vision section about people having issues and wanting to send their visions into repair. There will not be visions to replace those.

Shrimpfarmer said:
I know you should never panic but I have just grabbed two more batteries and some other bits and bobs.

I actually just bought four more P2, 20 batteries, 20 props, and bunch of other random items like iosd and ground station and fpv. I was planning on giving some as gifts to people with summer birthdays. I have a feeling that when summer rolls around, you won't be able to find anything. If DJI was a US based companies, I would think this injunction could be wrapped up quickly but I agree that China can be stubborn and I can't see them allowing some American tv star to take them for a ride. If I was china, I would hold out and not pay him and find a way to establish new dealers without him. I think big companies like B&H are going to be SOL but small companies can close down and reopen under new names and ownership and sell DJI goods. Maybe they can even get rid of drone fly once and for all.

They may be stubborn, but they're certainly not stupid. I think they're smart enough to get proper counsel and not to lose sight of the big picture. You'd be surprised what kind of ppl work at these big chinese companies...

I find it funny that anyone believes that video - who is he Walter DJI Kronkite?

Besides IF he is legit, Colin dropped the ball and hasn't a leg to stand on. He had the world by the a$$ but instead of working it, he jumped straight into "suck up the glam" mode (as so many young entrepeneurs do) He was to busy being "Mr DJI" and his staff/sheeple had ZERO direction. Follow-up was zilch, support sucked, they were too busy decorating their office and not listening & helping customers. Personally he got what he deserved, we'll probably be seing him peddling something else in the near future because he does have presence.

I think DJI was right in "dump the chump" - by cutting him off they can salvage what they have and hopefully will improve their support. Think about all the dealers in the middle. How would you like to be B&H or Altanta hobby having to take back a ton of units because they don't perform as advertised, or worse yet the poor customer who had one take off into oblivion.

Sorry Colin - had your chance and you blew it..

End of Rant...

EMCSQUAR said:
I find it funny that anyone believes that video - who is he Walter DJI Kronkite?

Besides IF he is legit, Colin dropped the ball and hasn't a leg to stand on. He had the world by the a$$ but instead of working it, he jumped straight into "suck up the glam" mode (as so many young entrepeneurs do) He was to busy being "Mr DJI" and his staff/sheeple had ZERO direction. Follow-up was zilch, support sucked, they were too busy decorating their office and not listening & helping customers. Personally he got what he deserved, we'll probably be seing him peddling something else in the near future because he does have presence.

I think DJI was right in "dump the chump" - by cutting him off they can salvage what they have and hopefully will improve their support. Think about all the dealers in the middle. How would you like to be B&H or Altanta hobby having to take back a ton of units because they don't perform as advertised, or worse yet the poor customer who had one take off into oblivion.

Sorry Colin - had your chance and you blew it..

End of Rant...

Well it was a good one MC .... dump the chump was a good line :lol:

Ok I have had a reply from Quadcopter.co.uk

They were certainly not recruited by Colin Guinn and were an approved dealership well before he came on the scene apparently. He also doubts other UK suppliers will be affected. I hope thats the case otherwise prices for spares will be crazy money.

This is a US-only injunction.. if anything, it'll flood the market outside US because currently United States must be DJI's biggest market. It's certainly gonna mess up DJI's logistics (warehouse, shipping contracts, etc) which is already setup with US's consumption in mind.

LeoS said:
This is a US-only injunction.. if anything, it'll flood the market outside US because currently United States must be DJI's biggest market. It's certainly gonna mess up DJI's logistics (warehouse, shipping contracts, etc) which is already setup with US's consumption in mind.

Thats for sure, that is my one residing worry. If DJI lose the orders from your side of the pond they could get themselves into financial difficulties. I have no idea how big their operation is. Hopefully they will weather this storm.

Shrimpfarmer said:
LeoS said:

Thats for sure, that is my one residing worry. If DJI lose the orders from your side of the pond they could get themselves into financial difficulties. I have no idea how big their operation is. Hopefully they will weather this storm.

As long as the injunction is against those 31 specific entities, then there's no stopping new dealers from popping up or even parallel importers to stream the goods stateside. DJI can also accelerate their direct-selling initiative.... and they can probably also strike a deal with walmart and clear up their inventory in one swoop... but we'll be seeing 90% flyaway rate from that channel :mrgreen:

Ksc said:
I actually just bought four more P2, 20 batteries, 20 props, and bunch of other random items like iosd and ground station and fpv.

I don't want to hit the panic button, but I did just order another set of props. I've currently got two batteries, and they're brandy new, just like my three week old Phantom 2 Vision. As I get better at this landing thing (i.e., not tipping over after setting down - :eek: ), I think my props will last. I've got my originals on now (with a couple teeny weeny knicks), the original second set of props, and a new set on the way.

Hopefully this will carry me through the possible upcoming DJI parts drought...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4