ESC Statut Error keeps happening

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

TL/DR : is it normal / safe to get "ESC STATUS ERROR" every now and then before takeoff ? Or does this points to an issue that could cause the bird to fall from the sky unexpected ?

This summer, I bought my first drone, a crashed P3A with a "motor obstructed" error which turned out to be a motherboard problem.
Anyway i got another board from eBay and installed it. The drone instantly worked great with no issues / errors at all and i was relieved.

Problem is, after a couple hours of flytime, it started giving me ESC Status errors and wouldn't takeoff anymore. I tried rebooting dozens of times, recalibrate all sensors and upgrading to the latests firmwares, even the "unofficial" 0.30 one that was supposed to get rid of those errors.

For context : I was flying safely for a good 15minutes with no problems, then i handcatched the bird and packed it in its bag to move to another spot. When i unpacked it about 30min later, the errors started occurring.

Back home, I popped the case up and saw no damage inside, run a bunch of conductivity tests which gave me correct values to the motors solder joints. then i decided to swap a random motor with another one.
I think it was giving a tiiiny bity more resistance when hand turning it but nothing close to what i have witnessed with really fried motors.

There was no errors when i booted the drone right after that. But I a flew 3 or 4 times since, and sometimes the error shows up again but is fixed with a simple reboot.
I'm concerned about crashing if it happens mid-air.

What would you do ? maybe i should change all motors ? they are not getting hot even after a good 10min of flying.

Thanks !

Hello everyone.

TL/DR : is it normal / safe to get "ESC STATUS ERROR" every now and then before takeoff ? Or does this points to an issue that could cause the bird to fall from the sky unexpected ?

This summer, I bought my first drone, a crashed P3A with a "motor obstructed" error which turned out to be a motherboard problem.
Anyway i got another board from eBay and installed it. The drone instantly worked great with no issues / errors at all and i was relieved.

Problem is, after a couple hours of flytime, it started giving me ESC Status errors and wouldn't takeoff anymore. I tried rebooting dozens of times, recalibrate all sensors and upgrading to the latests firmwares, even the "unofficial" 0.30 one that was supposed to get rid of those errors.

For context : I was flying safely for a good 15minutes with no problems, then i handcatched the bird and packed it in its bag to move to another spot. When i unpacked it about 30min later, the errors started occurring.

Back home, I popped the case up and saw no damage inside, run a bunch of conductivity tests which gave me correct values to the motors solder joints. then i decided to swap a random motor with another one.
I think it was giving a tiiiny bity more resistance when hand turning it but nothing close to what i have witnessed with really fried motors.

There was no errors when i booted the drone right after that. But I a flew 3 or 4 times since, and sometimes the error shows up again but is fixed with a simple reboot.
I'm concerned about crashing if it happens mid-air.

What would you do ? maybe i should change all motors ? they are not getting hot even after a good 10min of flying.

Thanks !
If it were mine and I had already tried version 1.11.30 as you said you tried, I would first replace all motors and test it. If it were still an issue, I'd replace the ESC Center Board with a new one from an authorized non eBay vendor.

I would first replace all motors and test it

Either that, or check logs and replace only the one which really reports the issue.
See the chart for details:
Fix ESC Status Error on Ph3 Pro Ph3 Adv or Ph3 Std

Ignoring the issue will just cause it to refuse to lift off at some point. It also increases a bit the chance of failure while flying, but not dramatically.

Reactions: Oso
Have you checked to ensure you have the right mainboard/motor combination? The P3 has a motor revision during production new motors use a ditterent mainboard. It is likely the ESC is looking for a different winding inductance value than that presented if the wrong mainboard is used.

Reactions: Nightwolf and Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor