Error Message on My P4P

Reaction score
Shortly after takeoff I get the message "Your flight altitude and distance have bee limited to 30m and 50m. I know there has been some posts about this in the past. Could the reason be that I have not updated to the newest firmware? I reset the app and deleted and downloaded it again. Didn't help. I don't want to upgrade the firmware. Also, I am not limited to that altitude or distance.

Reactions: DroneDome
With the latest GO app, you must log in to DJI while connected to the internet to remove the flight restrictions.
You do not need to be connected to the aircraft when you do that. Log in once, then log out and you should be good to go.

Could the reason be that I have not updated to the newest firmware?
Yes. There is apparently a bug in DJI GO that causes this to happen when running old firmware with the current version of DJI GO.

With the latest GO app, you must log in to DJI while connected to the internet to remove the flight restrictions.
You do not need to be connected to the aircraft when you do that. Log in once, then log out and you should be good to go.
This is not going to help since the OP is not really being limited.

This is not going to help since the OP is not really being limited.
Missed that last sentence...it's still early and just finishing coffee. ;)

I did log out and back in. Doesn't help. As long as it doesn't cause any problems, I'm ok with it. Clear the error and move on. Key is as long as it doesn't create problems .....

Updating your firmware should fix this. As msinger mentioned above it is a bug between old firmware and the latest GO 4 app.

I know many here don't like to update their firmware, and I agree it's a pain when DJI restricts where you can fly, but I always assume they have a better handle on how to keep this bird in the air than I do. They know the electronics, transmitters / receivers, sensors, etc., and update the software to make them operate more efficiently. I update every version that comes out and have had no problems thus far. Having said that, I can't fly at my house because their database lists the Quantico Marine Base restricted area as much larger than it really is. I emailed DJI's technical team and they were cordial and acknowledged some communities around restricted areas are impacted due to the perimeter being a jagged path while the geofencing restrictions are identified from a circular central point. They added that they get their maps and databases from AirMaps which surprised me. Anyway, they said they would look into it to see if they could make the diameter smaller or possibly move the central point a little to free up my housing area. I've flown my P4P in other areas away from the restricted area and the hardware and software has been perfect. No issues... :)

Reactions: Bakersfield Quad
Yes. There is apparently a bug in DJI GO that causes this to happen when running old firmware with the current version of DJI GO.
I have the opposite problem, except it really does limit my flight range to 30m altitude and 50m distance. Running latest FW on a brand new P4P, with old 4.0.0 version of Go 4 (needed to retain ability to turn GEO off and Smart Return Home off). No prompts for updating FW on aircraft or RC or battery in the app. All distance and height flight limitations removed in the app, by accepting the prompt screens. Even tried turning GEO to on, with no change, but I did need to acknowledge permission to fly in this location. I have logged out of my account in the app and back into it with no change in the ability to fly farther. I have rebooted the app as well. The error message says "Max flight distance reached. Adjust in Main Controller Settings if necessary," but all are already maxed out. What am I missing?
IMG_7302.jpg

Last edited:
Does the problem go away after installing the current version of DJI GO?
Thanks for the reply. I am assuming it might, but others report no. Updating GO 4 is not an option for me, as without the ability to turn GEO and Smart Return Home off, I can't fly my other aircraft as intended either.

However, there are numerous other threads all describing the same problem, where owners have also updated GO 4, who still have the same problem. Those threads involve Inspires, Sparks, and P4's. DJI rep suggested workarounds are rebooting the GO 4 app in the air, rebooting the aircraft on the ground, or rebooting both the aircraft and the app. Changing batteries allegedly requires repeating the process. Logging out of the app and back in is also supposed to help, but I already did that. I'll try the workarounds today. Might have to just roll back the FW to 1.03.0509 using the .bin file installation method on the microSD card, as DJI no longer allows rollbacks in Assistant 2. A 30m leash on a new P4P is a crime, and very annoying to the neighbors during testing! :eek:

Does the problem go away after installing the current version of DJI GO?
It did! :D
Apparently, the new FW doesn't play well with the older versions of GO 4. To my surprise, the newest version of GO 4 is not nearly as restrictive as I was expecting. Aside from the excessive high wind warnings which still need tweaking by DJI, or placed under user control, the Smart Return Home was just a small popup in the corner, that did not reappear, once acknowledged and ignored. GEO did not interfere with my flight in any way, and the map displays the boundaries of GEO areas, but I can also toggle them off, as well as all warnings, under user selectable levels. Only big change was HERE maps replacing Google maps. Attempting to review past flight logs with Satellite or Hybrid view selected crashes the app. Only the default Standard view works for reviewing Flight Logs. In flight, the Hybrid and Satellite HERE map views work fine, but the street names and recreational area names are huge, and hide much of the map detail, unlike the Google maps from version 4.0.0. Best of all, the P4P horizon tilt during sideways flight is now gone! The latest P4P specs have also eliminated the option of the buggy 4096x2160 4K 60fps video selection. Overall, DJI has done a pretty good job of fixing the fixable P4P bugs, while tightening up the ability to modify flight parameters. Maybe I will consider a P5, when DJI gets around to making one.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bakersfield Quad

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT