Erratic warnings during flight

Reaction score
I encountered a couple warnings during my flight today.
1. Warning: Flight, working IMU encounters heading exception; please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally
2. Warning: Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Mode.
I also got a Weak GPS Signal in the middle of screen, however I had 16 satellites.
It was my third flight. First two were uneventful. Had checked calibrations previous to flight and all were Normal. Had 93% battery at time of problem. Was a little too windy to be flying so I was keeping it close. Was only 275 feet away when anomalies occurred. Was able to get it home without any problem in P mode but could tell it wasn’t acting right. When looking at flight log, I noticed that my tracking line abruptly ended where the problem occurred. Any input or ideas would be appreciated.

I also got a Weak GPS Signal in the middle of screen, however I had 16 satellites.
When the flight controller detects a conflict between the GPS data and compass data, it has problem.
Because it can't deal with the conflicting data and your Phantom cannot work without compass data, it ignores the GPS data and your Phantom is suddenly in atti mode.
The "weak GPS signal' message is poor wording because there's nothing weak about the signal.
It's just that the flight controller is no longer getting GPS data.

The IMU message is a little puzzling.
One common cause of the compass error is launching from a steel or reinforced concrete surface.

Reactions: davidhopkins
Might be best to........Post Flight log so these guys can see what event or events took place to cause that issue.....talking about the tracking line and how it ended is sure not enough to help see just whats going on !

Opps i posted and meta4 posted same time !

Reactions: davidhopkins
Might be best to........Post Flight log so these guys can see what event or events took place to cause that issue.....talking about the tracking line and how it ended is sure not enough to help see just whats going on !

Opps i posted and meta4 posted same time !
I’ll do that. Thank you

I encountered a couple warnings during my flight today.
1. Warning: Flight, working IMU encounters heading exception; please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally
It was my third flight. First two were uneventful. Had checked calibrations previous to flight and all were Normal. Had 93% battery at time of problem. Was a little too windy to be flying so I was keeping it close. Was only 275 feet away when anomalies occurred. Was able to get it home without any problem in P mode but could tell it wasn’t acting right. When looking at flight log, I noticed that my tracking line abruptly ended where the problem occurred. Any input or ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DC6A13C9-C670-4208-BCE4-C694E31CBF98.png
    DC6A13C9-C670-4208-BCE4-C694E31CBF98.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 466
When the flight controller detects a conflict between the GPS data and compass data, it has problem.
Because it can't deal with the conflicting data and your Phantom cannot work without compass data, it ignores the GPS data and your Phantom is suddenly in atti mode.
The "weak GPS signal' message is poor wording because there's nothing weak about the signal.
It's just that the flight controller is no longer getting GPS data.

The IMU message is a little puzzling.
One common cause of the compass error is launching from a steel or reinforced concrete surface.
Takeoff was from gravel drive in the same spot that I often use.

I had the exact same warnings today. Latest version of s/w on all components and iPad. Was flying in an open field of a remote area and taking off from a gravel road away from any obstacles. Was getting these warnings numerous times and ended up with the drone going out of sight. Could not change the orientation of the drone P4Pro. Ended up hitting RTH button because drone ended up out of sight. When it finally came back towards the landing area it went erratic with more errors and suddenly took off at a high rate of speed in a direction away from home. It went out of sight and disappeared and was not responding to any controls except up and down. Had to hit RTH and this time it came back and I eventually got it landed where it took off from. I have put it in beginner mode and see if that will keep it close enough to find out what's happening. Any ideas? Scared to fly something that is losing GPS and controls

Gordon

I had the exact same warnings today. Latest version of s/w on all components and iPad. Was flying in an open field of a remote area and taking off from a gravel road away from any obstacles. Was getting these warnings numerous times and ended up with the drone going out of sight. Could not change the orientation of the drone P4Pro. Ended up hitting RTH button because drone ended up out of sight. When it finally came back towards the landing area it went erratic with more errors and suddenly took off at a high rate of speed in a direction away from home. It went out of sight and disappeared and was not responding to any controls except up and down. Had to hit RTH and this time it came back and I eventually got it landed where it took off from. I have put it in beginner mode and see if that will keep it close enough to find out what's happening. Any ideas?
Something's not right in the compass department.
Have you added any equipment to the Phantom?
Start by giving it a compass calibration and a test flight.

I had the exact same warnings today. Latest version of s/w on all components and iPad. Was flying in an open field of a remote area and taking off from a gravel road away from any obstacles. Was getting these warnings numerous times and ended up with the drone going out of sight. Could not change the orientation of the drone P4Pro. Ended up hitting RTH button because drone ended up out of sight. When it finally came back towards the landing area it went erratic with more errors and suddenly took off at a high rate of speed in a direction away from home. It went out of sight and disappeared and was not responding to any controls except up and down. Had to hit RTH and this time it came back and I eventually got it landed where it took off from. I have put it in beginner mode and see if that will keep it close enough to find out what's happening. Any ideas? Scared to fly something that is losing GPS and controls

Gordon
I really don’t have any advice for the problem. I did recalibrate my IMU, my compass and my controller. Since then, I have flown my Phantom 4 and had no problems other than an electrical interference warning before takeoff. I flew to a mile out and had no problems. You might try recalibration. Sorry, wish I could be more helpful. Luckily your RTH managed to get you back home. I’m not looking forward to a flyaway that’s probably going to eventually happen.

It is bone stock with nothing added. I got the following messages in a 17 minute flight:
In flight, working IMU encounters.. 11 times
Compass error Exit P-GPS .. 9 times
Weak GPS signal. Position... 8 times
Satellite positioning off. Fly with caution. 1 time

Seems to start of with the IMU error and then comes up with the other errors. There were a lot of satellites showing up and no obstructions. At one point the P4P was doing 126 km/ h on its own and was up to 500 m away

It is bone stock with nothing added. I got the following messages in a 17 minute flight:
In flight, working IMU encounters.. 11 times
Compass error Exit P-GPS .. 9 times
Weak GPS signal. Position... 8 times
Satellite positioning off. Fly with caution. 1 time

Seems to start of with the IMU error and then comes up with the other errors. There were a lot of satellites showing up and no obstructions. At one point the P4P was doing 126 km/ h on its own and was up to 500 m away
OK .. compass and IMU issues.
A recalibration of both is called for.The compass error caused the Phantom to ignore GPS because of conflicting data.
Weak GPS = a badly worded message. It's just that your flight controller is ignoring GPS.
Satellite posn off is also related as is the false speed reading.

Thanks for the feedback. Will recal in next few days depending on weather, and post back. Will run in beginner mode and if that works will then then tighten up to 200m distance and 60m height in regular mode.

Not sure of your location but their is a lot of GPS signal interence testing going on in the USA over the next couple of weeks. Might want to check your area on the FAA website for NOTAMS about your area.

I am in Alberta in western Canada. The area I was flying in was a more remote farm area with really nothing else around. Cell phone GPS was working good in google maps

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl