Unusual Tilt during flight

Reaction score
Hi All I was hoping to get your opinion on an issue I had today. I went for an early morning flight, very little wind. While turning the drone it looked like the drone was tipping out of the sky, never a dull moment right. I left off the controls and then turned for home, again seeing a very large tilt in the image through the goggles. At this very point I got 'atti mode' warning and had to manually fly back , it regained GPS again later and seemed to fly again ok If you look at the vid you can actually see the leg of the drone appear in shot. So I'm thinking this was the camera/gimbal not the drone. Have any of you come across this before? I had to adjust gimbal roll after takeoff as my horizon is always on a tilt. I've also noticed that the camera does not point directly forward it seems. Any thoughts are appreciated. IF anyone can read the data logs I can get them. Thanks!

I found that adjusting Gimbal roll can have the opposite effect to that desired.

I solved mine by making sure everything was mounted properly, all screws tight ... and then setting a flat plate absolutely level ... using spirit level. After placing my P3 on the plate - I checked the P3 as being level before powering up and doing a gimbal calibration.

Once completed .. I then moved the P3 to the floor and powered up with camera directly facing a doorway. The video relay then showed the doorway and I could see if the 'horizon' was level ...

Despite all this - I still get odd videos where horizon is tilted a few degrees ... but generally near level.

I found that adjusting Gimbal roll can have the opposite effect to that desired.

I solved mine by making sure everything was mounted properly, all screws tight ... and then setting a flat plate absolutely level ... using spirit level. After placing my P3 on the plate - I checked the P3 as being level before powering up and doing a gimbal calibration.

Once completed .. I then moved the P3 to the floor and powered up with camera directly facing a doorway. The video relay then showed the doorway and I could see if the 'horizon' was level ...

Despite all this - I still get odd videos where horizon is tilted a few degrees ... but generally near level.

Thanks for sharing your info and experiences. Do you think this is what caused the tile I saw during the flight?

No idea ... honest. Just passing on ideas.

I've also noticed that the camera does not point directly forward it seems.
This you can check in the flight logs. The tilt could be related to both the aircraft and the gimbal. You can upload your .txt log here and share a link to that back here if you need assistance. Log Viewer

This you can check in the flight logs. The tilt could be related to both the aircraft and the gimbal. You can upload your .txt log here and share a link to that back here if you need assistance. Log Viewer
Thanks the flight logs are here, I can view it on google earth and you can see the red line in the flight where it went to Atti mode and I flew back, this is just after the second 'tilt' in my vision - I'm flying with the googles here. DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com any help is appreciated I noticed a yaw error around 7 Min 6 secs EDIT: I noticed it shows GPS the entire flight, this was not the case, the warning for 'atti mode' came up where the red line starts, and when I brought it back to me, I want neutral stick and the drone drifted with the slight wind. So I don't know why the logs say GPS. Interestingly though if I was in atti mode, why could I still see my diamond in the goggles? IT still knew where home was.

Last edited:
You can still have GPS shown in logs but maybe the number of sats is not enough for P-GPS mode.

You can still have GPS shown in logs but maybe the number of sats is not enough for P-GPS mode.
Understood, I checked the logs and it never reports less than 17 satellites - but I defo was in atti mode for a while - so maybe something can get missed off the reports.

Understood, I checked the logs and it never reports less than 17 satellites - but I defo was in atti mode for a while - so maybe something can get missed off the reports.

If you had 17 sats ... you should never drop to ATTI ... if enough are at good azimuth / altitude.

so maybe something can get missed off the reports.
Are you 100% certain this is the correct log? There is no ATTI mode in this flight. Your Sat count and NAV Health are fine. The only issue I see is you did have an IMU Positioning error at ~ 332 seconds and this continued intermittantly through the flight. ( Area's shaded in purple below ). The YAW ERROR, is usually indicative of a compass issue. I mention the Nav Health, because this signal must drop below 4 for an ATTI switch. It was at 5 for the entire flight. If you are certain that this is the correct flight, you may want to extract your aircraft .dat file for a deeper look. See this link for how to retrieve it Retrieve Aircraft .DAT For this flight you will be looking for FLY151.DAT

If you do so, you will need to upload that file to a sharable site such as dropbox etc.. and share a link back here to that.

1572279718113.png

@Davious An addendum to the above. Looking a little farther in the log, you could very well has recieved an ATTI mode message. However, it does appear that the aircraft never actually switched to ATTI. The :isGPSused flag went false right at the YAW error. This is a bit odd, but I suppose it could happen. The aircraft .dat might tell more.

1572281718805.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20