Erratic behavior, I'm not sure what to do now....

Reaction score
P3 Advanced.

I have quite a few hours on it and no issues until it required an update end of last year. Downloaded the DJI update and the bird would not connect. I read and researched similar problems, ditched the DJI Go app and loaded up Litchi. I flew twice since then and had no issues.

Today, everything looked normal so I took off. Immediately the bird started to drift and would not hold the usual hover so I shut it down. Since then I have tried to fly in all 3 modes with the same erratic behavior of the bird drifting(wind was 0-3mph). On one flight, no initial drift, but as soon as it got about 50' up all lights when red, and it began drifting down and left to my position. Luckily I could counter the issues and caught the bird in my hands before it crashed.

Now, I do have a known problem with the right control stick which started 5-6 months ago. When pushed forward sometimes it will not return to neutral when let go and I can actually feel it get "caught" on something. Pulling it back to neutral has always fixed the problem. I don't think what is happening today is related to the stick issue, but I could be wrong.

So, what has changed since my last two successful flights? I deleted DJI GO from my phone after loading Litchi, so there should not be any compatibility issues. Any help is appreciated since I'm kinda at a dead end with my limited Phantom skills.

Usually drift after take-off is poor calibration of IMU and or compass.

As to your RC and stick - that can be anything from a wire sitting across the gimbal inside or a loose mount. I strongly advise opening up and checking it - fix if possible. To fly with such fault is in my view asking for trouble - one day that stick will not correct when you pull back - especially if its chafing a wire.

I would personally download latest DJi Go for Before P4 ... and get that sorted. It has all the calibrations needed that Litchi hasn't. Remember Litchi basically relies on the basic user settings loaded to AC by GO initially ... if in future you want to change some items - you'll need GO again.

Nigel

Now, I do have a known problem with the right control stick which started 5-6 months ago. When pushed forward sometimes it will not return to neutral when let go and I can actually feel it get "caught" on something. Pulling it back to neutral has always fixed the problem. I don't think what is happening today is related to the stick issue, but I could be wrong.
This very well could be your drift issue. If the drift is consistently forward, and/or side to side, then I would take a look at that stick issue first. Knowing that you already have an issue, fix that first, then move on to the IMU and Compass if it persists consistently. If your drift does not have any rotational oddities when trying to hover, your compass is probably fine.

Do you know anyone else with an Adv Controller - you could link and see if you still have problems ...

But honest - get that stick fixed.

Just in case you haven't taken one apart before ... maybe this will help (guy drives me nuts with his babbling ... but its the physical stuff interested in !)

Nigel

Well, y'all were spot on. I opened it up and these little tidbits fell out:

20180216_164629.jpg

Looking at the parts I knew it was a screw base, then I found the culprit(s):

20180216_164227.jpg

20180216_164517.jpg

All three of the starboard yaw/pitch/forward/back control screw mounts that hold it to the body of the controller were shattered. I'm pretty pissed because I know I didn't drop it...ever, but I did hire someone to shoot some pro videos for my wife's company a year and a half a go. Too late to say anything now, so I just have to suck it up.

Now, here is my question, the only way to fix this is to replace the upper half of the case, but I see that a lot of wires are cemented in, so removing everything is going to take time and skill. Option 2 is to mix up some JB Weld and using a long thin screwdriver, reach in and slather the broken joints where the screw comes through. I know this will work, but then that starboard control will be permanently attached to the case. So which one would y'all choose???

Glue that sucker in !!

If it fails again - why not get a complete 2nd hand of eBay or whatever ? No need to pay out silly new money... or flaff about swapping bits and bobs ... keep old as spares...

Nigel

I suspected a problem like this and found that analyzing the flight log that displays control inputs during replay was helpful. Seeing horizontal inputs where you know you didn't input would have identified the stick as the culprit. For me it turned out that I had bumped the three way switch and had been in ATTI mode. Which makes me an ATTI-ot I guess.....

Ok, I'm going to JB Weld it. I do wonder that if I don't get it back in the exact same position it belongs in, if I won't create another problem. I hope since it was completely loose, that it was "falling" down in the housing just enough for the control surfaces to contact something it was not supposed to contact. I'll let y'all know tomorrow...........

Sorry for the loooooong delayed update. The bird was still drifting slightly after the repair and I just kinda gave up. Today I ordered a new/used remote with the latest firmware installed. I am assuming then that I need to update the bird with also the latest update if there is one since early last year?

Ok, new/used remote is here. I was able to sync the RC to the bird but it still shows "disconnected". I have tried the Litchi and the DJI Go app and still no connection. I have read and tried all the "fixes" I can find, but am wondering if this has anything to do with downloading my apps on Satellite(hughesnet=SLOW) internet? Going to try a broadband high speed connection and re-load the apps.

The old/original RC connects instantly.

Try to start the bird using just the RC. This will tell you if it's the app/device/cable or the connection to the aircraft

NW, it will not start, nor do I have any camera. RC can see my location, but no info on the bird at all on any screen. Unable to calibrate too.

I could not get to high speed internet today, but will tomorrow to download the Go App again. Stand by for an update.....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr