Effect of prop-guards on flight time (13.9% reduction)

Reaction score
I used to fly my P2V+ with prop-guards then got the P3A and abandoned the prop-guards. Purchased the removable prop guards partially because they should eliminate the problem with shell cracking, but got me thinking...I noticed a big difference in flight times between the two birds...how much of it was due to prop-guards? For those of you who are impatient...13.9% less flight time with prop-guards. I was a bit surprised.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I used to fly my P2V+ with prop-guards then got the P3A and abandoned the prop-guards. Purchased the removable prop guards partially because they should eliminate the problem with shell cracking, but got me thinking...I noticed a big difference in flight times between the two birds...how much of it was due to prop-guards? For those of you who are impatient...13.9% less flight time with prop-guards. I was a bit surprised.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
There is a Youtube video where someone did a test on Prop Guards for the P3-- the difference was negligible.

The video I attached tests both. 13.9% difference is significant in my mind. I leave the prop-guard mounts on during the second flight which adds weight to the bird, but I'm comparing times against one another so without that added weight you'd probably get a little more time. What am I missing?

I have flown both with and without guards and my anecdotal evidence agrees with your findings. Not only is weight increased, but so is the torque moment on the arms -quite significantly as all the weight is out on the ends! Further, there is drag, and probably most important of all, some of the air blown downwards hits the guards and forces them downwards. This in effect makes them act as if they are far heavier than they are.

Now that I think about it, I do seem to notice my flight times have increased since removing my guards. I do agree with Stumblebee about the effects from the guards. Not sure why I even bought them anyway, never planned to fly indoors and I always keep clear of obstacles. So much for the guards.

I agree that prop guards have adverse effects, but on the other hand, the guards saved my P3A from more than a few crashes and possible injury to my hand. I can live with shorter flight time and slower speed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers