ECS Error

Reaction score
I am having problems with ecs. Changed board resoldered motors. Everything works fine until I try to start motors. I have read the threads on these types of problems but have some questions:

1. Does the shielded copper on the ends of the motor wires need to be scraped before resoldering?
2. If you have a problem motor, how can you identify which one is bad?
3. What is the best way ( if any ) to check the current going to the individual motors?

I did have a crash that burned one of the motors which initiated the problem. I am not too savvy about electronics so please be kind.

Thanks in advance,
Brent

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
If your soldering the pre-tinned wires (as supplied) direct to the main board you won’t have an issue. If you decided it might be easier to cut and splice you must remove the insulation off each strand before soldering. The strands are simply the ends of the magnet wire used to wind the field coils, they are all insulated.

Easiest way to measure motor current would be with a clamp meter.

If your soldering the pre-tinned wires (as supplied) direct to the main board you won’t have an issue. If you decided it might be easier to cut and splice you must remove the insulation off each strand before soldering. The strands are simply the ends of the magnet wire used to wind the field coils, they are all insulated.

Easiest way to measure motor current would be with a clamp meter.

The some of the wires are probably not pertained as the end were cut

2. If you have a problem motor, how can you identify which one is bad?

Read .DAT logs from the aircraft. Either analyze them by yourself with DatCon or Wireshark, or post them here.

3. What is the best way ( if any ) to check the current going to the individual motors?

You will not find any current in non-spinning motors. What you will have to measure is resistance. But first you need to know which motor to measure. Get the DAT logs.

1. Does the shielded copper on the ends of the motor wires need to be scraped before resoldering?

You mean the white silicon spilled over the soldering points? Yes you need to remove it. It will not burn during soldering, it is silicon. And it is not there for shielding, but to absorb vibration.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Read .DAT logs from the aircraft. Either analyze them by yourself with DatCon or Wireshark, or post them here.

You will not find any current in non-spinning motors. What you will have to measure is resistance. But first you need to know which motor to measure. Get the DAT logs.

You mean the white silicon spilled over the soldering points? Yes you need to remove it. It will not burn during soldering, it is silicon. And it is not there for shielding, but to absorb vibration.

Thank you Mr quad damage,
Your help is very much appreciated. I have a couple of questions: How do I access the DAT data?
Will one bad motor or connection keep the other three motors from starting?
Thanks Again,
Brent

Before you get too far into this you might like to consider the possibility your main board needs replacing. There is a very good chance this is what happened when you crashed and burnt out a motor. You haven’t yet explained whether you performed your connections at the main board or by splicing the fly leads either. If you spliced the connections you will need to redo them anyway however I would be surprised if you don’t need a main board also. You can test the ESC mosfets with a multimeter- google is your friend here.

a "MOSFET" is a metal oxide field effect transistor ! in case your wondering Brent
and here is a clamp On Amp meter :
6 Function Mini Digital Multimeter

ESC is the " electronic speed controller "... board

Hope that you get your motors going and can ONCE again Take to the skys Above.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94