Easiest way to remotely turn on the drone for emergency flights

Reaction score
I would like to house my drone in a locked cage where the roof can be remotely opened. What would be the easiest way to remotely turn the drone on? Is it get an ardiuno with something that mechanically pushes the power button as if a human was? The use case is unknown people show up at my house. From my bed I want to be able to quickly figure out who's there, what cars etc. If a crime is about to take place I could have the videos/images immediately emailed to my police department.

Yes. A phantom will be way to noisy and won't help achieve your goal. Security came all over the place. Look into WiFi cameras

I would like to house my drone in a locked cage where the roof can be remotely opened. What would be the easiest way to remotely turn the drone on? Is it get an ardiuno with something that mechanically pushes the power button as if a human was? The use case is unknown people show up at my house. From my bed I want to be able to quickly figure out who's there, what cars etc. If a crime is about to take place I could have the videos/images immediately emailed to my police department.
Haha I thought I was the only guy going for this!

Of course a security system makes more sense, and just having the cameras mounted on the house is a pretty effective deterrent.

However, I'd LOVE to put out "Protected by Drone" signs around the house! Anyone but a nutcase would run - add some flashing red lights and a speaker to broadcast a "You have 15 seconds to comply before Taser activation"... the possibilities are endless! I bet DJI is working on security models as we speak. Shouldn't be that hard to mod a battery for remote start - could you wire in a remote switch to override the push button?

Of course a security system makes more sense, and just having the cameras mounted on the house is a pretty effective deterrent.

However, I'd LOVE to put out "Protected by Drone" signs around the house! Anyone but a nutcase would run - add some flashing red lights and a speaker to broadcast a "You have 15 seconds to comply before Taser activation"... the possibilities are endless! I bet DJI is working on security models as we speak. Shouldn't be that hard to mod a battery for remote start - could you wire in a remote switch to override the push button?
The advantage for a drone is that it can provide the police with much more info like "suspect is hiding in the bushes 2 blocks away"

Like the others mentioned if security is your concern - well there's much better options than tasking a quadcopter to patrol your home site.

I advise against the "wireless" security cameras for few different reasons without going into detail here - so as NickYB said CCTV.... Its a closed loop system and will be the best with regards to performance, reliability, and longevity.

But from a cool fun project only.
Very doable - the mechanical approach might look like the easiest on the surface - but you would be better off in the long term electronically triggering the battery to power up. When you press the button on the battery pack all your doing is completing a circuit.

From a high-level simplistic view. By modifying the circuitboard in the smart battery and the use of a momentary energized relay along with a inexpensive TX/RX you could complete the switch/button circuit in the pack and remotely power it up.

Lets think this thing out. At night time you are going to launch your Phantum up in the air when you hear a noise outside or someone rings your door bell. Can't fly at night, can't see at night, no line of sight, and now you have your $1,000.00 drone up in the air which will be taking up all your attention and you won't be able to respond to what is happening around your home. Is that your Smart Home Safety Plan? Do you work for the Goverment? You could hire a outside spotter, and maybe a pilot to operate the drone while you respond the situation outside. Sounds like Govermental way of thinking. Are you going to mount a weapon on your drone? Maybe a Tazer on the drone!

Reactions: brianb87
Lets think this thing out. At night time you are going to launch your Phantum up in the air when you hear a noise outside or someone rings your door bell. Can't fly at night, can't see at night, no line of sight, and now you have your $1,000.00 drone up in the air which will be taking up all your attention and you won't be able to respond to what is happening around your home. Is that your Smart Home Safety Plan? Do you work for the Goverment? You could hire a outside spotter, and maybe a pilot to operate the drone while you respond the situation outside. Sounds like Govermental way of thinking. Are you going to mount a weapon on your drone? Maybe a Tazer on the drone!

I'm just having fun with the idea. It is a "drone" though, so it could be part of an integrated home security system, infrared targeting, computer controlled to shoot glow in the dark paintballs at the perps. Or unexpected visitors - no more unannounced pop ins from your mother in law...

The advantage for a drone is that it can provide the police with much more info like "suspect is hiding in the bushes 2 blocks away"

Not at night when most thieves strike. This is too much too do for not much return. You need standard night vision cameras mounted on your property w/proper CCTV recording.

Just use one of these: Meet Nest Cam

I've got a Dropcam looking out our window. And $200 is MUCH cheaper than losing a Phantom because the cage didn't open all the way before takeoff.

Well it's more like an academic brainstorming session.

Practical, not currently.

But how many of you would have imagined realtime HD video sent to you from a toy quadcopter for under $1300 2-3 years ago?

Reactions: Vanjo Grale

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj