Easiest and Most Effective Antenna Mod?

Hi guys,,

I have trouble getting my P3S over 40m altitude...it always loses signal and goes in RTH mode. Its not in beginner mode or something like that....can I fix that by changing the antenna...is it even possible? If I put a mod (DBS or something like that) will it fix it, or the problem is somewhere else?

Hi guys,,

I have trouble getting my P3S over 40m altitude...it always loses signal and goes in RTH mode. Its not in beginner mode or something like that....can I fix that by changing the antenna...is it even possible? If I put a mod (DBS or something like that) will it fix it, or the problem is somewhere else?
"problem is somewhere else?" YES. At the min. you should be getting 100m altitude and a range of somewhere between 300 to 500m in an CE area and 500 to 800 meters in a FCC area as stock. Make sure your flying out in front of you (down range) not right overhead with your RC antenna pointing up.

yes, the first time I made the mistake flying overhead as a noob, but after reading some more, I flew in front the second and third time...what could possibly be broken to not go over 40m...the RC/antenna or the drone itself? I feel so sad as I have a freem week during the holidays to make footage and cant do anything, I mean 30-40m is pathetic.

yes, the first time I made the mistake flying overhead as a noob, but after reading some more, I flew in front the second and third time...what could possibly be broken to not go over 40m...the RC/antenna or the drone itself? I feel so sad as I have a freem week during the holidays to make footage and cant do anything, I mean 30-40m is pathetic.
If you don't have any beginner mode or distance limiter turned on, than it must be a defective unit. If under warranty, put in a claim. Or do a return where you bought it and get a new one.

I bought it from a person, I will go to the company that it was bought from to check whats the origin of the problem. If its not fixable I`ll talk to him to return it or sell it myself.

I bought it from a person, I will go to the company that it was bought from to check whats the origin of the problem. If its not fixable I`ll talk to him to return it or sell it myself.
Did you get it off eBay? Because it could be returned through them maybe. Please don't sell it as is, meaning don't screw someone with a bad Phantom. Be honest if you do sell it and not put someone through the same your going through now.

Reactions: Jimmers
No it wasnt through ebay. Best case scenario for me is to just fix it, second best is to return it to seller as it would bug me to sell it someone else...

Windsurfer is the easiest mod for Rc but doesn't help video signal.the easiest aftermarket antenna mod is the argtek.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am very pleased with my Argteck antennas. Besides greater range, I rarely lose video. I must admit, the installation is nerve racking. Rick, from Drone Valley, has a great video on the installation that made it a lot easier.

I am very pleased with my Argteck antennas. Besides greater range, I rarely lose video. I must admit, the installation is nerve racking. Rick, from Drone Valley, has a great video on the installation that made it a lot easier.

I'm very satisfied with the argtek and can get distances that to be honest are pretty darn nerve racking lol

No it wasnt through ebay. Best case scenario for me is to just fix it, second best is to return it to seller as it would bug me to sell it someone else...
I also work on my gear and I really don't care about warranties much. But there is something wrong with it stock. There is no way would I do any of those antenna upgrades before getting it fixed first as is. Say for example your controller only puts out 1/10th of the power it is suppose to. Adding an antenna upgrade isn't going to do much. Also let's say the Phantom receiver only has 1/10th of the sensitivity it is suppose to have. Again an antenna mod isn't going to do much. If it were me, I would send it back. Trust me, you will save yourself tons of trouble in the long run.

yeahbut sending
it back is not an option. Are those sender/reciever parts for the signal things that can be checked? Like you check the voltage of a battery?

Do you guys not have any height or line of sight restrictions in your respective countries ?? Or if you do it would seem that you just ignore them..risking giving the hobby a bad name.

This is partly why this is so. Trees, hills or building that might be between you and the craft.
More neat info here. Maxx UAV
The other is the more height you have the further away any interference might be.
RemotesignalIllustration01.png

Lol, the controller antennas are oriented incorrectly in this image.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Do you guys not have any height or line of sight restrictions in your respective countries ?? Or if you do it would seem that you just ignore them..risking giving the hobby a bad name.
Watch out it's the drone police.
475.gif

Reactions: cstout
Lol, the controller antennas are oriented incorrectly in this image.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I saw that too, but it's just a illustration on how objects can block your LOS. The person I was replying to didn't realize that when your downrange some distance that things like trees and building that may not be blocking your LOS when close in can block it when downrange a good bit.

Watch out it's the drone police.
View attachment 71669

Fair enough - but we are also aware of the stupid element that has caused govt bodies to put in place restrictions on our hobby. Which are in danger of spreading over into other model types.

It has also created the hysteria reaction where anything seen by aircraft is now claimed to be a 'drone' ....

In Latvia - we are lucky that govt paranoia hasn't hit us and we are reasonably free of regs. But we do have a ceiling of 200ft and not allowed within 500m of radar / comms buildings / towers. (Have to check the 200ft - but think that's correct). We have the advisory safe diameter round airfields of course like most.

Nigel

Fair enough - but we are also aware of the stupid element that has caused govt bodies to put in place restrictions on our hobby. Which are in danger of spreading over into other model types.

It has also created the hysteria reaction where anything seen by aircraft is now claimed to be a 'drone' ....

In Latvia - we are lucky that govt paranoia hasn't hit us and we are reasonably free of regs. But we do have a ceiling of 200ft and not allowed within 500m of radar / comms buildings / towers. (Have to check the 200ft - but think that's correct). We have the advisory safe diameter round airfields of course like most.

Nigel
200 feet or meters, 200' does seem low. In the states it's 400'.

As I say - in Latvia - things are reasonably relaxed and we don't have trouble.
I will have to check that figure - most likely metres not feet as you suggest.
But the Radar fig is correct.

Interesting that I fly at Ventspils Airport, have personal agreement for use of Runway, and also fly at Cirava private airfield (former front line Soviet fighter base). Both have radar of course linked into central ATC Riga - we have no problems with them at all.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164