Dual Battery Mod

Has anyone experienced improvements or even positive results from adding a aftermarket antenna for video W/OUT the amp?
That's the million dollar question! It sure can't hurt, unless you screw up the connection. :eek: Much like my Sunhans 3.0A booster to replace the original 2.5A Sunhans on the video receiver side on the FPVLR v2 mod on the transmitter, it isn't hurting, and probably is helping a little. I'm eager to give it a try, before having the case itself cracked open!

Hi gadget guy,
The correct leg is N2 or N3 , mine is connected to N2 .
The antenna that works the best is the clover antenna, I do have the amp so I don't know if just the Antenna itself will give the results that I have, I live in north New Jersey very high Wi-Fi and I am getting five miles out solid as a rock.
The bird Side amp mod does work, but I only believe it works as good as it is with the amplifier.
Kevin
Thanks for the clarification. I believe Tony sells the clover antenna as a part, too. I just need to regain the last mile of video stability, between 4 and 5 miles out, that I lost in replacing my 323 bird with the 323A with 18% less power output for video.

I don't know if it couldn't hurt, I've read on here of people doing the amp mod and getting worse results and wishing they could undo it

I don't know if it couldn't hurt, I've read on here of people doing the amp mod and getting worse results and wishing they could undo it
In all fairness, those were hooked up incorrectly, and the owners kept having to send the birds back to have them hooked up correctly, which was a major hassle. In terms of "it couldn't hurt", I was referring to just swapping out one of the existing two video antennas with the spiral antenna, which can be done, without cracking open the case, and without removing the original antenna. You just swap the connectors inside the VPS/Lightbridge box, which I have already opened up on my deceased bird to locate the antenna connectors.

Reactions: dirtybum

Yes, that was the issue at the time when tony first listed on his website legs
N1 and N4 legs for the video. we now know for a fact that the correct legs are
N2 and N3 .
And you only need one antenna on that video leg, I was only getting 2 miles out
on video and now its 5 miles out with full bars, I probably can get 6,7 or 8 miles
out, but I get too nervous.

Kevin

N2 and N3 .
on video and now its 5 miles out with full bars, I probably can get 6,7 or 8 miles

Kevin
With amp or antenna only, Kev?

N2 and N3 .

Kevin
That's an impressive improvement. Once you can no longer see it, what's the difference between 5 miles and 6,7, or 8? :rolleyes: Are you using the FPVLR v2 with the 2.5A Sunhans boosters? Which external batteries are you using? I believe Tony said to remove the transmitter side video booster with the birdside mod. Have you?

That's an impressive improvement. Once you can no longer see it, what's the difference between 5 miles and 6,7, or 8? :rolleyes: Are you using the FPVLR v2 with the 2.5A Sunhans boosters? Which external batteries are you using? I believe Tony said to remove the transmitter side video booster with the birdside mod. Have you?

My setup is... Bird side amp mod with one clover antenna, FPVLR v2, 3A Sunhans boosters and 2 external Thunder Power
2100 Mah 25 c (weight) 197 each. I live on a mountain that over looks 5 different towns, so for me now , I can fly to each town if I want;)

Kevin

Reactions: GadgetGuy
My setup is... Bird side amp mod with one clover antenna, FPVLR v2, 3A Sunhans boosters and 2 external Thunder Power
2100 Mah 25 c (weight) 197 each. I live on a mountain that over looks 5 different towns, so for me now , I can fly to each town if I want;)

Kevin
Awesome. That's similar to my situation. So, both of your 3A Sunhans boosters are still hooked up on the RC transmitter side? What sort of flight times, with what remaining battery capacity at landing, are you getting currently with that setup?

Awesome. That's similar to my situation. So, both of your 3A Sunhans boosters are still hooked up on the RC transmitter side? What sort of flight times, with what remaining battery capacity at landing, are you getting currently with that setup?

Yes both 3A Sunhans are still hooked up and on a calm night I get 25-26 mins
with 10-12 % landing with battery,...also I have 60 led computer lights going on too.

Kevin

View attachment 45443
Above is the "labor only" UK order, and the international order, both in the shopping cart, priced in pounds, which I converted to dollars. UK Labor is only 74 pounds. No reason why Midwest Horizon can't do the mod here in the U.S. for $100, saving international shipping, and buying two more new DJI batteries that I already have too many of!

Yes I think their P3 battery costs are higher over there, I dunno? But are they higher than the shipping it would take for us to mail 2x batteries to them? Who knows. I'll see what the P4 Fatty brings in terms of flight time first I guess.

Yes both 3A Sunhans are still hooked up and on a calm night I get 25-26 mins
with 10-12 % landing with battery,...also I have 60 led computer lights going on too.

Kevin
How are your external batteries mounted? Did Tony do the birdside battery mod, too, at the same time as the video mod? Your birdside amp is inside the shell, too, right?

Yes I think their P3 battery costs are higher over there, I dunno? But are they higher than the shipping it would take for us to mail 2x batteries to them? Who knows. I'll see what the P4 Fatty brings in terms of flight time first I guess.
They need to let the U.S. Midwest Horizon do the mod for us at the same price they do it for their UK customers, by letting us supply our existing new extra batteries. I would do that in a heart beat! I've got 2 extra brand new P3 batteries ready to go!

Someone here in North America should just do the mod and market it here at a reasonable price!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Someone here in North America should just do the mod and market it here at a reasonable price!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Exactly! Midwest Horizon already does all their other UK Horizon mods here in the U.S. They are the best candidate, and UK Horizon said they would let them do it, if there was enough demand. Well, there is! :)

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1456806113.479150.jpg

Looks like you're ordering from the UK

Screw it. Gonna go and try to make my own. Been doing some reading and feel comfortable with disassembling and soldering the tabs. I know what needs to go where and what materials I need. I just have to find a decent day and do it outside. Don't want to do it in my basement or in the garage.:grin:

View attachment 45479
Looks like you're ordering from the UK
Or not! :eek:
It seems that he misled us when he said they would offer it in the U.S. through Midwest Horizon, if there was sufficient demand! Now he's decided he can sell lots of cheap P3 batteries at inflated prices this way, and clean up! For that kind of money, I have many other options of LiHV batteries that already produce 30 minute flight times, at 25% of the price, with a P4 big battery surprise behind Door #2 in the morning!

Last edited:
Screw it. Gonna go and try to make my own. Been doing some reading and feel comfortable with disassembling and soldering the tabs. I know what needs to go where and what materials I need. I just have to find a decent day and do it outside. Don't want to do it in my basement or in the garage.:grin:
Maybe in a firepit or a bomb shelter...:p

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94