Dual Battery Mod

Just an update on my battery-less branch of of the the dual battery thread. Of course, my mods claim to fame, besides the fact that it actually works (which surprises me more than anyone else) is the fact that it can fake using dual batteries when participating on this thread.

I went ahead with a test using the two genuine DJI batteries and got crap for results. Well, actually, I really liked the way the bird flew, but was very disappointed in the flight time. The empty middle, and two on the side was the most stable configuration I had ever flown. Having those batteries out out with a normal lipo inteface mad it convenient for me to test them with the normal advanced, lipo charging centers. The reason for the short flight time was soon clear - the DJI batteries were not putting out what they were spec'ed at. Not even close. I have 5 of these DJI batteries and I'm sure they are all crap, even thought they look fairly new on the DJI schedule. It is my fault, I am sure. I often leave them plugged in too long, or continuously because I always want to be ready. I know part of the problem belongs to DJI because I know darn well the auto storage feature is not reliable.

Anyway, for me to do a proper test of the dual DJI batteries requires me to buy a couple of new smart batteries. I started thinking about what is unique about this mod, and maybe I should focus on that. For example the entire assembly containing the battery manager and circuitry weighs over 100. That's not chicken feed. The essentials are closer to 30. I made a frame to handle a mono battery of larger capacity than the standard DJI battery. It is of carbon fiber and is 50, but it hasn't been lightened yet. Of course the battery I have is just a tester, there may be much better choices available.

Front.jpg On_Bird.jpg ISO.jpg Frame.jpg Bottom.jpg NewBlackBird.jpg

Just an update on my battery-less branch of of the the dual battery thread. Of course, my mods claim to fame, besides the fact that it actually works (which surprises me more than anyone else) is the fact that it can fake using dual batteries when participating on this thread.

I went ahead with a test using the two genuine DJI batteries and got crap for results. Well, actually, I really liked the way the bird flew, but was very disappointed in the flight time. The empty middle, and two on the side was the most stable configuration I had ever flown. Having those batteries out out with a normal lipo inteface mad it convenient for me to test them with the normal advanced, lipo charging centers. The reason for the short flight time was soon clear - the DJI batteries were not putting out what they were spec'ed at. Not even close. I have 5 of these DJI batteries and I'm sure they are all crap, even thought they look fairly new on the DJI schedule. It is my fault, I am sure. I often leave them plugged in too long, or continuously because I always want to be ready. I know part of the problem belongs to DJI because I know darn well the auto storage feature is not reliable.

Anyway, for me to do a proper test of the dual DJI batteries requires me to buy a couple of new smart batteries. I started thinking about what is unique about this mod, and maybe I should focus on that. For example the entire assembly containing the battery manager and circuitry weighs over 100. That's not chicken feed. The essentials are closer to 30. I made a frame to handle a mono battery of larger capacity than the standard DJI battery. It is of carbon fiber and is 50, but it hasn't been lightened yet. Of course the battery I have is just a tester, there may be much better choices available.

View attachment 45206 View attachment 45207 View attachment 45208 View attachment 45209 View attachment 45210 View attachment 45211

Did you have a picture of how you had the dual DJI battery hooked up ? Just wondering. Great work though !!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yer losing me, starting to look like a mess and definetly not worth the trouble, and maybe even not close to the reason i started following this thread!
You are a mad scientist though and u got my attention for that!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yeah, its lumped in with the rest. It should be last one with the black P3. It flew like a dream.

Ah, I just missed it. Thanks !! Saw it now!

this is exactly what im looking for ... you are flying that one big battery without the dji battery right?

I believe the way the boosters work is a sliding scale, the stronger the incoming signal the stronger it can effectively boost it.
When you boost a signal you start adding interference in and degrading the signal quality.
Imagine a photo, a small photo can only be enlarged so much before it gets pixelated. Where as a large photo has higher pixel count and can be enlarged further before pixelation occurs (if that makes sense)

I agree with the bird side mod being almost redundant, the issue seems to be 1) transmitter signal power 2) battery capacity 3) bird side transmitter signal power.

I think once 1 & 2 are boosted to the limits you will still be inside the effective range of # 3. The balance will start to get messy when adding more weight to the AC because it will degrade flight time.

Well, my testing with the 3.0A Sunhans booster on the video receiving transmitter side of the FPVLR v2 transmitter mod worked out well. It was at least as good as the 2.5A Sunhans that it replaced. It may be the same, but I already bought it, so I will continue to use it, in case it is helping, even if only marginally. Additionally, using either Auto Channel, or any channel other than 30 with the 32 channel hack, severely degrades video performance. Despite the assertions that the Sunhans cannot perform outside the specified frequency specs, which mean under Channel 23, my own results are grossly at odds with that assertion. Channel 30 is still the best. YMMV. :cool: Still considering replacing one of the two birdside video antennas with a spiral antenna to improve output signal, by opening the Lightbridge box and accessing the antenna connectors inside it. Any suggestions or advice on doing so?

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
Well, my testing with the 3.0A Sunhans booster on the video receiving transmitter side of the FPVLR v2 transmitter mod worked out well. It was at least as good as the 2.5A Sunhans that it replaced. It may be the same, but I already bought it, so I will continue to use it, in case it is helping, even if only marginally. Additionally, using either Auto Channel, or any channel other than 30 with the 32 channel hack, severely degrades video performance. Despite the assertions that the Sunhans cannot perform outside the specified frequency specs, which mean under Channel 23, my own results are grossly at odds with that assertion. Channel 30 is still the best. YMMV. :cool: Still considering replacing one of the two birdside video antennas with a spiral antenna to improve output signal, by opening the Lightbridge box and accessing the antenna connectors inside it. Any suggestions or advice on doing so?

What bird side antenna do u have..the clover one or the dipole one?

Kevin

I think DJI could easily make a new model that has the larger motors and props to compensate for the added weight which could have 2 battery bays, and 45 minutes of flight time.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

35 mins is nice solid run time. Did you set a new distance record too?
35 mins is nice solid run time. Did you set a new distance record too?
Yeah I did but it did not load properly to Flytrex so it doesn't count I'm not really choked up about it it will easy to do it again I just have to wait for good weather. Battery mod exceeded my expectations I turn around way early could have gone at least nine miles

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yeah I did but it did not load properly to Flytrex so it doesn't count I'm not really choked up about it it will easy to do it again I just have to wait for good weather. Battery mod exceeded my expectations I turn around way early could have gone at least nine miles

Solid !!! Nice job!!!

That's awesome. Sometimes the conditions just aren't right and you gotta know when to hold off.

View attachment 45325 I just did that with the horizon power mod v3 35 minutes - 10% so it works really good. My phantom 3 gets more flight time then my matrice did.

Would you mind posting the link to healthy drones ? Or PM it to me ? I just want to have a look at how it all shows up etc in healthy drones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak