Dual Battery Mod

Thanks. I have one bird I just acquired with that firmware version on it. No downwind speed throttling was one of the reasons I got it! Unfortunately, the compromise is the original motors, which are less efficeient, reducing flight time by some 10% over the new motors. However, with a faster bonus downwind speed, the distance coverage may still be the same!

Yup, I got really lucky... New motors and it shipped with 1.3.2 fw so just downgraded that puppy :)

I have used that style of bracket at least 300 times I never had a problem with it bumping the gimbal or turning sideways I used a lot of different styles of batteries on those brackets smaller sized battery I might use zip ties from the front to the back horizontally to keep the battery from sliding but on the power mod v3 all I use is a velcro strap it fits perfectly. You might have to tuck the wire away from the sensors on the vision Positioning System if you use it in flight I don't know too many people that do outside I put a picture in here and show you what I mean.View attachment 45849
I've also successfully used gaffers tape to help secure the external batteries to the battery plate and the struts, so they don't slide around underneath the velcro strap. Same with tucking the battery wires up and out of harm's way. It's easy to put on and take off, and yet secure, without needing zip ties, especially to keep the sensors clear.

I had an epiphany last night. The "Ultimate Battery Mod 4" would be to split the more powerful P4 battery, and hook its two internal cells up to a P3 battery in the identical manner as the Horizon Mod 3 . The P4 battery is only $20 more, but the extra 1000 mAh would more than offset the minor increase in weight! Are 40 minute P3P flight times now possible? Thoughts?

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
Yeah that was me. I'm going to be splitting one of my DJI batteries and doing my own type of power mod. I want to charge/balance the external packs with my own charger.
Would like to see your power mod when finished.i am thinking the same thing.or was thinking about just getting the horizon mod just order the split battery and Use it with my already modded Dji batts.either way I will get it done.

Would like to see your power mod when finished.i am thinking the same thing.or was thinking about just getting the horizon mod just order the split battery and Use it with my already modded Dji batts.either way I will get it done.

I have the battery apart and the main board with the buttons/lights off. I desoldered the leads that connect the 2 boards together. I was doing this in the stairwell of my basement exit (bilco doors) just in case all hell broke loose. I am trying to figure out if I should desolder the tabs to free the cells from the board or cut the board with a dremel. Either way has its risks. I'm leaning more towards desoldering for a cleaner job but have to be careful not to short the battery out when solder is flowing (you can see how close the connections are that need to be desoldered in the last picture). Solder sucker works well in sucking up hot solder but it is time consuming and requires heating up the solder and sucking a small drop off at a time. You have to be careful not to hold the iron on the tabs too long because the heat will transfer into the cells and damage. I'm not sure how tolerant these batteries are to that sort of thing. Here's some pics of the progress.

Last edited:
When I desolder the clone battery, there was nothing left of the metal tabs. It look like yours are longer, should be ok.

Yes I did as well + is on left of first cell - on right cell but the 2 tabs on other side are they pos to neg together or!! The 2tabs to the right side of the cell marked + are they both -

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 358
Last edited:
I would test them with a meter to be certain. Here is how they connect with balance leads as well.

8676382464_d9393a3fc9_o.jpg

No issues yet.
I have over 10 charge cycles on the 1800s and about 5 on the 2400s.
Only charging them at 1C (1.8A / 2.4A) respectively.

Hello, I have this mod here. What do I set the LiPo charge at as far as Amps and Voltage on my Hitec X1?

Is 1.8A and 14.8V okay? Once the Hyperion 1600mA reaches 14.8 do I go ahead and press stop? Thank you.

Hello, I have this mod here. What do I set the LiPo charge at as far as Amps and Voltage on my Hitec X1?

Is 1.8A and 14.8V okay? Once the Hyperion 1600mA reaches 14.8 do I go ahead and press stop? Thank you.

For 1C charge rate you want 1.6A for 1600mAh, 1.8A for 1800mAh etc... I've only been charging at 1C rate and no puffing issues. 14.8v is OK but the Hyperion G6 batteries are LiHV (4.35v/15.2v) so you're not charging them up to capacity. Also you should know that the DJI battery is 15.2 so you're going to have an unbalanced connection when you connect the externals...The DJI battery will start discharging and charging the undercharged LiHV packs...People have done it without issue but it's not optimal. It doesn't look like your charger supports LiHV 4.35...You'd have to buy a new charger to be able to charger the Hyperion packs to their full potential.

For 1C charge rate you want 1.6A for 1600mAh, 1.8A for 1800mAh etc... I've only been charging at 1C rate and no puffing issues. 14.8v is OK but the Hyperion G6 batteries are LiHV (4.35v/15.2v) so you're not charging them up to capacity. Also you should know that the DJI battery is 15.2 so you're going to have an unbalanced connection when you connect the externals...The DJI battery will start discharging and charging the undercharged LiHV packs...People have done it without issue but it's not optimal. It doesn't look like your charger supports LiHV 4.35...You'd have to buy a new charger to be able to charger the Hyperion packs to their full potential.

Oh man, Paul linked to this on his site. Any recommended chargers that support LiHV 4.35? Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/HiTec-44165-P...id=1445808794&sr=8-4&keywords=HI-TECH+BATTERY

Yeah and he's also selling the battery mod kit with standard LiPo not LiHV. It wasn't until recently that we confirmed the chemistry of the DJI packs. Like I said, it has been working without issue for people to have mixed LiPo and LiHV. But why short change yourself the 10% loss in not running LiHV packs? Here's the charger I'm using @Silverwingflinx is using the same one and had puffing but he was charging at 5C rate. I don't think anyone else had issues with puffing yet.
Amazon.com: Skyrc AC/DC D100 Dual Balance Charger/Discharger for 1-6 Cell LiPo/LiFe/Lilon/LiHV Battery,1-15 Cell NiMH/NiCd Battery: Toys & Games

Yeah and he's also selling the battery mod kit with standard LiPo not LiHV. It wasn't until recently that we confirmed the chemistry of the DJI packs. Like I said, it has been working without issue for people to have mixed LiPo and LiHV. But why short change yourself the 10% loss in not running LiHV packs? Here's the charger I'm using @Silverwingflinx is using the same one and had puffing but he was charging at 5C rate. I don't think anyone else had issues with puffing yet.
Amazon.com: Skyrc AC/DC D100 Dual Balance Charger/Discharger for 1-6 Cell LiPo/LiFe/Lilon/LiHV Battery,1-15 Cell NiMH/NiCd Battery: Toys & Games

Oh Gotcha, any suggestions in LiHV LiPo packs to go with the charger you linked?

Oh Gotcha, any suggestions in LiHV LiPo packs to go with the charger you linked?
Yeah that's what his kit ships with. It works fine, it's just not LiHV. I have those batteries as well.
I would get the Horizon V3 Power Mod as it is the best in power/weight ratio...You will get max flight time with this kit.

Yeah that's what his kit ships with. It works fine, it's just not LiHV. I have those batteries as well.
I would get the Horizon V3 Power Mod as it is the best in power/weight ratio...You will get max flight time with this kit.
You mean the "next level S**T kit

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guudguy39