Dual Battery Mod

Not only will Midwest Horizon provide these set but the price will be good , we have re-priced at £75 in the uk and thats around $104 in the USA , the user them supplied the lipo sets , its not worth messing with these guys , get it all done at Midwest for you, we have done all the work and development enjoy.....

Will
HFPV UK

Thanks Will. I'd like to order but don't want to secure the externals with tape to the supplied bracket that must be riveted to the landing legs. I'd rather use the aftermarket battery mounts/boards that some of us are buying from another source. See picture below.

My question is do you think the wiring between the externals and then the wiring to the internal battery will need to be longer to accommodate mounting like that instead?

ILOjjD8.jpg

Paul will make them for you like that he's the one that showed me that first I have since then modified a couple extra sets.

You just use a dremel? Also, the batteries mounted like that (Velcro and hanging below) don't swing sideways and hit the gimbal or P3 at all while in flight?

Hi can u tell me what % u fly down to and how long your flites are thax

I just checked healthydrones. Longest flight time so far was 25min landed at 20%. That was with some shitty wind with the G6 1800s. 51,869 total ft. Max speed 54.62mph..I haven't run the battery down hard yet since temps haven't really been favorable. And if they were, there was really strong wind:angry:

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverwingflinx
I just checked healthydrones. Longest flight time so far was 25min landed at 20%. That was with some shitty wind with the G6 1800s. 51,869 total ft. Max speed 54.62mph..I haven't run the battery down hard yet since temps haven't really been favorable. And if they were, there was really strong wind:angry:
What firmware version are you running that isn't throttling the downwind speed to 35mph max?

Thanks Will. I'd like to order but don't want to secure the externals with tape to the supplied bracket that must be riveted to the landing legs. I'd rather use the aftermarket battery mounts/boards that some of us are buying from another source. See picture below.

My question is do you think the wiring between the externals and then the wiring to the internal battery will need to be longer to accommodate mounting like that instead?

ILOjjD8.jpg
Actually I have the horizons power Mod v 3 myself and I use those brackets that you have shown in the picture I have mine cut down a little bit this is what it looks like if you modify your bracket like I have mine the cable is just long enough and it fits nice and flush and straight and you only need the strap to hold them in place

Attachments

• 20160301_193954.jpg
    20160301_193954.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 288
  • 20160301_195436.jpg
    20160301_195436.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 20160301_195514.jpg
    20160301_195514.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 20160301_195426.jpg
    20160301_195426.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 299
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Hey unknown, can you post a pic of your v-3 strapped in but with your bird upside down so we get a view from the bottom. Helps put the whole setup in perspective

You just use a dremel? Also, the batteries mounted like that (Velcro and hanging below) don't swing sideways and hit the gimbal or P3 at all while in flight?
I have used that style of bracket at least 300 times I never had a problem with it bumping the gimbal or turning sideways I used a lot of different styles of batteries on those brackets smaller sized battery I might use zip ties from the front to the back horizontally to keep the battery from sliding but on the power mod v3 all I use is a velcro strap it fits perfectly. You might have to tuck the wire away from the sensors on the vision Positioning System if you use it in flight I don't know too many people that do outside I put a picture in here and show you what I mean.20160303_072329.jpg

Here some numbers I'm getting off the power v3 mod. 72% 25 min on the algorithm. 20 minutes at 50% battery life. Its beating my normal max amps 2000mah set up by about 2 or 3 min in the same wind conditions. Giving me 38.5 minutes healthy drones to zero.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Attachments

• IMG_0026.PNG
    IMG_0026.PNG
    5.6 MB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0025.PNG
    IMG_0025.PNG
    5.6 MB · Views: 348
Reactions: GadgetGuy
I think you are the one that asked me the other day what batteries were in the picture of my brackets.
Yeah that was me. I'm going to be splitting one of my DJI batteries and doing my own type of power mod. I want to charge/balance the external packs with my own charger.

Off topic,Unknown, what was your windspeed(couldnt find it on HD) i noticed your max speed was 35, was you holdin back to 80% or just no wind today

Wow you must know your stuff if you are going to try to do it yourself I Imagine it is pretty difficult
I'm familiar and comfortable with electronics. I understand how this needs to be connected. The only unknown for me is what lies underneath that DJI battery case. I've analyzed all of the limited pictures available so will just have to wing that part. Once I've got the cells freed from the DJI board, the rest is easy.

**** gadget guy, why don't you just wait for the book to come out

Book?! (or is that a figure of speech?) I mean a book by a DJI insider, wanting to defect from communism would be very helpful right now. Assuming the guy had all the secret codes, etc....

Btw, I think I have the extended flight mystery figured out, but I am not saying anything until I have verified, and verified again. The pro's know, and have been dropping hints, here and there, but I don't think anyone has put it into plain English. It is not as simple as having a good power/weight ratio, and the transmitter will mislead the hell out of you. I'll bet a lot of people already have the right setup for extended flight, they just need to re-calibrate the battery manager.

The above is obvious, but I think the battery manager is designed to accommodated different capacity batteries, and more importantly, may be re calibrated. I already have the 'mad scientist' moniker hanging on me so, before the deep bass strings start vibrating, I will get back on this. Just a timely notice of a hopeful possibility.

Thanks. I have one bird I just acquired with that firmware version on it. No downwind speed throttling was one of the reasons I got it! Unfortunately, the compromise is the original motors, which are less efficeient, reducing flight time by some 10% over the new motors. However, with a faster bonus downwind speed, the distance coverage may still be the same!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak