Drop in price?

Pure speculation, other than to the extent that any product is continuously improved (firmware updates, etc.) You have absolutely no idea what DJI is or isn't doing on their production line. And pricing can always change, or not, for all the usual supply/demand reasons.
It is, indeed, speculation, but based upon solid, historical precedent, as you allude to yourself. I cannot predict the future. :rolleyes: Typically, after release, within 3-6 months, the original purchase price will start to include an extra battery. Then, the price starts dropping by $100. The P4 was $1400 at release. The P3P was $1300 at release. All prices come down over time. Early adopters, buying at release, pay a premium, and become the initial Beta testers. Those who wait get a mature product, at a somewhat better price. Amazon is now discounting the P4P by 11%. $165 off is $14 less than the price of an extra P4P battery. Close enough. :cool:

Last edited:
I don't know if I can handle a month. I have been waiting so long it feels. Ever since I sold my P3S, I have been dying for a new drone
Then pull the trigger on the $1335.63 price now. It is still available today. It won't get lower than that for quite a while. Most of the early unit production issues have been resolved, and the firmware is easily updated for any unsolved issues, and your 1 year warranty covers any defects.:cool:
Amazon.com : DJI Phantom 4 PRO Professional Drone, Hobby RC Quadcopter & Multirotor, White, CP.PT.000488 : Camera & Photo

I don't know how long the current Amazon pricing will last but it sure must be tough on some of the smaller vendors who still list the P4P at $1,499 and can't match Amazon's 30-day return policy. I know 'vendor x are really nice guys', but...

The price on Amazon has been stable at $1335 for almost 24 hours now.

Then pull the trigger on the $1335.63 price now. It is still available today. It won't get lower than that for quite a while. Most of the early unit production issues have been resolved, and the firmware is easily updated for any unsolved issues, and your 1 year warranty covers any defects.:cool:
Amazon.com : DJI Phantom 4 PRO Professional Drone, Hobby RC Quadcopter & Multirotor, White, CP.PT.000488 : Camera & Photo
So it comes with a crash DJI care warranty and a return warranty if I get a lemon?

So it comes with a crash DJI care warranty and a return warranty if I get a lemon?
You can buy DJI Care online if desired with 48 hours of product activation. And just about any item sold and shipped by Amazon carries a 30-day return policy (along with the standard DJI warranty.) This is far better than DJI or most vendors will provide.

The question still remains - why is Amazon offering such a steep discount while every other major retailer is still stuck at $1499?

I scored a P4P at Bestbuy today. $1560 with 3 batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Best Buy doesn't carry the P4P batteries yet, so those extra batteries must have been P4 batteries. At least you got one P4P battery inside the bird! I would return the $169 P4 batteries and buy the $179 P4P batteries for the extra $10 each somewhere else.

This is an important point. Even if a P5 comes out in, say May, it won't be 3/4 months later until the initial birthing issues are ironed out.
You can bet that when the P5 comes out the forum will be abuzz with how it is buggy, crippled, has range issues, video encoding problems, and oh yes, the horizon isn't level. There will be much frustration and advice to wait until the P6.

Best Buy doesn't carry the P4P batteries yet, so those extra batteries must have been P4 batteries. At least you got one P4P battery inside the bird! I would return the $169 P4 batteries and buy the $179 P4P batteries for the extra $10 each somewhere else.
Yes. Actually the P4P high capacity battery is $169 at most vendors (the same price as BB is charging for the P4 batteries), so if it is possible to return them and buy the hi-cap units I would.

You can bet that when the P5 comes out the forum will be abuzz with how it is buggy, crippled, has range issues, video encoding problems, and oh yes, the horizon isn't level. There will be much frustration and advice to wait until the P6.

To me, as a photographer, the P4P is a turning point with its 20MP Sony Exmor sensor. We are in DSLR territory now (almost).

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The question still remains - why is Amazon offering such a steep discount while every other major retailer is still stuck at $1499?
Because you have to be a Prime Member to get that price from Amazon. They are willing to bribe you with $65 to join. If you first have to pay $99 to become Prime, then they are only $65 cheaper. Best Buy didn't make that distinction yet. They only cared about "sold and fulfilled by Amazon." Amazon wants everyone to become a Prime Member.

Yes. Actually the P4P high capacity battery is $169 at most vendors (the same price as BB is charging for the P4 batteries), so if it is possible to return them and buy the hi-cap units I would.
True dat! :cool:

Because you have to be a Prime Member to get that price from Amazon. They are willing to bribe you with $65 to join. If you first have to pay $99 to become Prime, then they are only $65 cheaper. Best Buy didn't make that distinction yet. They only cared about "sold and fulfilled by Amazon." Amazon wants everyone to become a Prime Member.

I see. The Prime membership is a great value regardless and the savings in shipping have more than offset the $99 annual fee, to say nothing of the streaming content included with the membership.

Reactions: M1shootr

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20