Dronexpert gimbal for Phantom Vision

Re: New video Dronexpert gimbal for Phantom Vision

Their news page suggests they will start shipping today (strange that the date was Saturday but whatever). Has anyone received a shipment notification yet ?

Sadly it doesn't look like I will get mine before my trip on Friday. Gotta practice getting some smoother video for the trip.

jengo said:
Gotta practice getting some smoother video for the trip.

Well I have been practicing and practicing using ATTI mode and letting it drift with the wind etc. Still not happy with the stock Vision. I have a lot of hopes that this will be the solution. Roll on the first reviews.

Shrimpfarmer said:
jengo said:
Gotta practice getting some smoother video for the trip.

Well I have been practicing and practicing using ATTI mode and letting it drift with the wind etc. Still not happy with the stock Vision. I have a lot of hopes that this will be the solution. Roll on the first reviews.

I have been doing some testing with ATTI mode. I try not to run in ATTI mode because I am concerned about what happens when I lose connection. I actually had a dropped connection for the first time this week, I was only up by about 320'. First time I saw RTH work and go figure ... It was also the first time I was giving a few people a demo of the drone lol.

Dronexpert.nl posted another good side by side video of a phantom vision with and without the gimbal. I found it by looking at their Facebook page and then viewing all the videos produced by Roger Borre who put it up today on youtube

when I e-mail them yesterday was told it would cost £467.00 with tax and p&p to the U.K was going to order one but think I will have to wait a bit long now and save some money Pennines

Without doubt the video is better than the standard vision however my heart sank a little when I saw the rotors and lights in the picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep this is going to be a decision maker for some.. Just a brief look at what you can achieve with a little imagination, I have some great projects lined up for this Gimbal, only one more week to wait :)

Geert said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
Without doubt the video is better than the standard vision however my heart sank a little when I saw the rotors and lights in the picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I know what you mean.
But now I can see them too if I lift my camera to the max.
Now it depends on the settings you make in the Assistant Software.
I guess, I hope, that will not change with the Dronexpert gimbal so that we still can control it.

Geert.

Thought I would chip in as I too was worried about props in shot but they replied to my Facebook post with this
"Martin, Thank you. Flying for the footage is indeed a bit 'wild', we did it on purpose to give a good impression what the gimbal does. We had the tilt angle on -20 to 90 degree (also to give a good view). Standard we set this to 0 to 90 degree and than you will not see the probs anymore. So you can adjust it as you like. We compared this also with gopro H3/Zenmuse with this gimbal, with GoPro on 0 degree you have more props in view than the the vision gimbal. The last shot is the GoPro/zenmuse on 0 degree."

Yes, I noticed most of the shots were with the camera at or near fully horizontal and the Vision heading straight ahead at full chat. You're always going to see props in that configuration. If you want to fly fast, then fly above the target and move the camera down a bit to lessen/remove the prop intrusion.

Unless I missed it, though, I didn't see any shots showing off the straight down capability of this gimbal? Would have thought they'd thrown in some of those as it would enable you to mimic the classic helicopter shot...

Pull_Up said:
Yes, I noticed most of the shots were with the camera at or near fully horizontal and the Vision heading straight ahead at full chat. You're always going to see props in that configuration. If you want to fly fast, then fly above the target and move the camera down a bit to lessen/remove the prop intrusion.

Unless I missed it, though, I didn't see any shots showing off the straight down capability of this gimbal? Would have thought they'd thrown in some of those as it would enable you to mimic the classic helicopter shot...

Hi pull_up straight down shot at 4.32 but does not look 45°

Thanks. The dodgy visibility for flying anything aside ;) that didn't seem straight down to me. Still, as they said in their response they were flying aggressively to show off the stability so I now await the first user videos and reviews with even more interest.

I can't justify that kind of money at all, and I don't really need one for my purposes... but I think I want one. :D

Pull_Up said:
I can't justify that kind of money at all, and I don't really need one for my purposes... but I think I want one. :D

I can't justify it either but then again I gave up justifying stuff when I retired from work :twisted: As soon as I can see real videos from real users who are trying to capture smooth footage and I see it is possible to use it in a way that I don't see the props or frame then I too will order one.

One thing that does jump out to me though will be the need to take a suitable landing pad with you. The current vision camera mount can dangle the camera lens in wet grass if your not careful and this new mounting puts it even closer to the ground. I have added hand launch and recovery to my training schedule for those situations where using a collapsible table can't be used.

Shrimpfarmer said:
I have added hand launch and recovery to my training schedule for those situations where using a collapsible table can't be used.

I'm never too sure about hand launching, to be honest. Always seems like more of a risk than hand catching as there's that initial squirrelyness (if it's not a word, it should be) before the clean getaway, and perhaps a tendency for an arm to tip. Hand catching from a steady hover has much more control in it for me. I always launch from the top of my flight case - I even have appropriate markings now, thanks to our own Coloradosky and his Signs of Life - which keeps things away from dirt/dust/moisture/dung (delete as appropriate) without the need to carry something extra with me. An alternative is a foldable/rollable vinyl pad like this although that one seems rather pricey, you get the principle.

Having said all that I always launch my Hubsan X4 by chucking it up in the air from my palm with motors off, then spooling up just as it reaches the top of its trajectory in order to come to a hover. I impress myself (and only myself) no end with that one. Wouldn't recommend a similar approach with the Vision, mind... :lol:

Shrimpfarmer said:
Pull_Up said:
One thing that does jump out to me though will be the need to take a suitable landing pad with you. The current vision camera mount can dangle the camera lens in wet grass if your not careful and this new mounting puts it even closer to the ground. I have added hand launch and recovery to my training schedule for those situations where using a collapsible table can't be used.

You're right Shrimpfarmer. Having had a gopro3 hanging under my Vision for a while, I've created a takeoff box with a hole cut out of it. With hand catching on landing it works fine so I plan to use this when my gimbal arrives.

[

I have just got this off there facebook page

Thank you. Flying for the footage is indeed a bit 'wild', we did it on purpose to give a good impression what the gimbal does. We had the tilt angle on -20 to 90 degree (also to give a good view). Standard we set this to 0 to 90 degree and than you will not see the probs anymore. So you can adjust it as you like. We compared this also with gopro H3/Zenmuse with this gimbal, with GoPro on 0 degree you have more props in view than the the vision gimbal. The last shot is the GoPro/zenmuse on 0 degree.

iDrone. said:
As soon as another company will start to make a gimbal for PV for a more reasonable price, Dronexpert will drop the price.

You may be in for a long wait for an alternative Gimbal for your PV as there is only one other possible and that is still under development... I wouldn't be to sure Dronexpert will automatically drop the price.. What is a reasonable price for stable raw footage ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20