Drones on NCL Cruise Ships?

Reaction score
I've searched, and I know NCL pretty much has a no tolerance for bringing drones aboard.

Has anyone had any success getting their drone onboard? Sounds like there may have some give and take over the past couple of years but in searching this and other forums, I havent seen any recent comments on success or failure.

We will be sailing the POA in July and I want to take my drone so bad. I'm a responsible Part 107 licensed pilot with no intentions of sailing on or from the ship or anywhere near the ship when we dock. I have never flown over crowds, or my local neighborhood. And I'm not going to start on a cruise, It's HI. There's much better scenery. I want to take it elsewhere. I have no problem bringing it on, checking it, and taking it me with me when we dock. In fact, I would prefer that so I would not give in to peer pressure of taking for a quick flight from deck 14

Too bad they appear to be such a stiff shirt. NCL is my favorite cruise line. At least Carnival seems a little more cooperative.

Thanks

You already answered your own question
It's even in their FAQ
Drones (Game Flying Device)
Guests are not permitted to bring drones onboard for safety of other guests, as well as the welfare of the vessel
I've read similar threads and not sure what you would video other than the ship at port and trying to bring it on an excursion which would be a pita.
I'm still trying to figure out how to smuggle beer on board without them taking it out of my suitcase.

I can't see how it is worth trying to bring a done onboard - especially if you happen to be flying to the ship. What happens if they won't let it on? And what about the hassles you may encounter in taking it off the ship and going through customs for an excursion and then trying to get it through customs and ship security again when you re-board. Personally, I don't go on vacation for extra stress. My advice is to just leave your bird at home and just enjoy the cruise. That's what I'm going to do next May.

Is that cruise going to Hawaii? Since NCL's policies appear to be firm, you might want to consider renting a drone while in Hawaii. Something like Hawaii Drone Tours.

That's ridiculous that they would search your luggage for drones. A rule against flying from the ship is fair enough, but when you're on land, what business is it of theirs?

You should definitely bring your drone to Hawaii. You know you'll regret it if you don't.

Reactions: Neon Euc
That's ridiculous that they would search your luggage for drones. A rule against flying from the ship is fair enough, but when you're on land, what business is it of theirs?

You should definitely bring your drone to Hawaii. You know you'll regret it if you don't.
Cruise can and do search your luggage. They use the same equipment that airports use for screening bags. Princess and Holland America are usually most lenient, NCL Royal Caribbean, and Carnival are most stringent. They are looking for weapons and drugs mainly, but also for extra bottles of alcohol. They are not searching for drones, but if the cruise line does not allow it, then they are going to catch it.

Unless you have a Mavic, you are going to need a suitcase just for the Phantom and accessories. Do you really want to be carrying all that extra gear?

I understand what you're sayin'. Rules against bringing a drone in your luggage would be a deal breaker for me with any cruise line. Stupid and invasive. If you're a photographer/videographer, carrying gear is part of the deal. My issue is carrying a big camera bag PLUS an even bigger drone case, plus a suitcase. That said, sometimes doing a lot of photography and flying can interfere with a vacation (particularly if you're with family). There's a balance, but guaranteed I'm gonna bring my gear. The Mavic is looking real good right now. I'm just a little unsure on the video quality vs. a P3 or P4.

I understand what you're sayin'. Rules against bringing a drone in your luggage would be a deal breaker for me with any cruise line. Stupid and invasive. If you're a photographer/videographer, carrying gear is part of the deal. My issue is carrying a big camera bag PLUS an even bigger drone case, plus a suitcase. That said, sometimes doing a lot of photography and flying can interfere with a vacation (particularly if you're with family). There's a balance, but guaranteed I'm gonna bring my gear. The Mavic is looking real good right now. I'm just a little unsure on the video quality vs. a P3 or P4.
A cruise is a vacation trip, it's not expected that you would bring a lot of any type of gear. Also, from the cruise line's perspective you have the whole managing of the experience to worry about. If you are the captain of the NCL's Pride of America, you have 2500 passengers to worry about. The last thing that you need is for someone try to fly his drone from the deck of the ship. I don't think that anyone on this thread would do something that dumb, but there are people on here that would.

The cruise lines operating in the Caribbean are making ports of calls where you are not allowed to bring a drone ashore unless you have a permit or a license. So there's no real need to bring a drone aboard. Don't get me wrong, I love taking my Phantom on vacation with me. But it's to places where I know where I can legally fly.

Getting back to the original post of this thread, I think the OP should look into the drone rental companies in Hawaii. Save the aggravation of packing the drone and use one from a company that can take you to where you can fly. Just bring your memory card and extra batteries.

A cruise is a vacation trip, it's not expected that you would bring a lot of any type of gear. Also, from the cruise line's perspective you have the whole managing of the experience to worry about. If you are the captain of the NCL's Pride of America, you have 2500 passengers to worry about. The last thing that you need is for someone try to fly his drone from the deck of the ship. I don't think that anyone on this thread would do something that dumb, but there are people on here that would.

The cruise lines operating in the Caribbean are making ports of calls where you are not allowed to bring a drone ashore unless you have a permit or a license. So there's no real need to bring a drone aboard. Don't get me wrong, I love taking my Phantom on vacation with me. But it's to places where I know where I can legally fly.

Getting back to the original post of this thread, I think the OP should look into the drone rental companies in Hawaii. Save the aggravation of packing the drone and use one from a company that can take you to where you can fly. Just bring your memory card and extra batteries.

Good points about legality at your destination. You've obviously researched and considered all the options. There are some cruise destinations I would love to have flown, like Alaska and Hawaii, but alas, I did not have a drone back then. It would have been a tough balance between photos, flying and fun.

Good points about legality at your destination. You've obviously researched and considered all the options. There are some cruise destinations I would love to have flown, like Alaska and Hawaii, but alas, I did not have a drone back then. It would have been a tough balance between photos, flying and fun.
For Alaska, I would pick a cruise line that allowed them and buy a Mavic to pack light. Not all cruise lines ban you from bring a drone. For example, Carnival allows you to stow a drone in your stateroom. For Hawaii, I would just fly direct and pack a Mavic. But that's just my personal preference.

I understand what you're sayin'. Rules against bringing a drone in your luggage would be a deal breaker for me with any cruise line. Stupid and invasive...
It's an OPTION to go on the cruise lines so you don't HAVE to go on there an be subject to their policies.

....The Mavic is looking real good right now. I'm just a little unsure on the video quality vs. a P3 or P4.
It's the same camera as the P3 but not sure about the P4 and not nearly as nice as the P4P camera.

The Mavic Pro is looking better all the time. When I took my P4 4k to San Diego, I had to take my largest canvas rolling suitcase and it took up most of the space. Fortunately, I only needed 2 days worth of clothing. But, I was also carrying a heavy tripod and large camera backpack (splitting gear between two videographers). So, the P3 is quite impractical to travel with if I'm also carrying camera gear. I was so glad I brought it though 'cause I got some nice footage along the coastline in La Jolla and also used it for the first time on a client shoot. Guess it's time to get the 107 sUAS.

I've been pretty pleased with the P3 4k camera and I'm really critical. It takes color grading pretty well and is plenty sharp enough. I've even been impressed with still frames from the video. When the lighting is really contrasty or it's getting dark, it starts to break down, but I'm not shooting nightscapes, so...

I went on the Norwegian Escape to Bermuda. Just got back 2 weeks ago. I went back and forth on whether to bring my Phantom 4 Pro and/or Mavic and checked this thread before I left.
They do have a stated policy that drones are not allowed on board. I really wanted to bring the P4Pro because of the camera. I mean its Bermuda! How often do you have a chance to fly someplace like that? So I wanted the best image quality possible.
So I brought the P4Pro thinking that the worst thing that could happen is they would keep it the whole time and I would get it back in NY. I called Norwegian on the ride to NY and asked about bringing it. I was told it would be taken when I boarded but this person told me I WOULD be able to take it off at port. So I got some new optimism and decided to go for it.
I have heard some people on here saying they feared they wouldn't let you board if you bring it. Thats not true. Security will take it and give you a receipt. I asked about getting it in Bermuda and I got a "yes I think" sort of answer. He said I would have to go to security to try to collect it. When I got to Bermuda, I give them the slip when going through security and was told they wouldn't give it to me unless I had permission from Bermuda authorities. When I was at the beach - Snorkel Beach - I talked to the bartender about it and he said they people have brought them and he just tells them to fly over away from from the public area and not fly it over the people - which I didn't want to do anyway. When going back I told a NCL security person outside the ship the story and she told me she could give me permission. So she went back in and told the security guards on the ship that I was allowed to take it. The next day, when leaving the the ship I was able to get it. Then when entering Bermuda customs area the Bermuda customs person asked me about it. I had read the regulations in Bermuda and confirmed to her I knew the regulations and knew they were legal in Bermuda if following the their regulations. THEN I finally had clearance.
So basically if you want to enough, you can do it. I'm glad I didn't give up. I got two perfect days to fly - 3 batteries each day and came back with some amazing footage. So I would advise do it! You won't be sorry even if you try and fail. But if you don't try at all you may find yourself regretting it after as you look through all your "ground" shots. We spend alot of money on this hobby precisely because we want to be able to capture footage like that from places like these :)

For Alaska, I would pick a cruise line that allowed them and buy a Mavic to pack light. Not all cruise lines ban you from bring a drone. For example, Carnival allows you to stow a drone in your stateroom. For Hawaii, I would just fly direct and pack a Mavic. But that's just my personal preference.
I've searched, and I know NCL pretty much has a no tolerance for bringing drones aboard.

Has anyone had any success getting their drone onboard? Sounds like there may have some give and take over the past couple of years but in searching this and other forums, I havent seen any recent comments on success or failure.

We will be sailing the POA in July and I want to take my drone so bad. I'm a responsible Part 107 licensed pilot with no intentions of sailing on or from the ship or anywhere near the ship when we dock. I have never flown over crowds, or my local neighborhood. And I'm not going to start on a cruise, It's HI. There's much better scenery. I want to take it elsewhere. I have no problem bringing it on, checking it, and taking it me with me when we dock. In fact, I would prefer that so I would not give in to peer pressure of taking for a quick flight from deck 14

Too bad they appear to be such a stiff shirt. NCL is my favorite cruise line. At least Carnival seems a little more cooperative.

Thanks
Take it!!! I went back and forth too and was so glad I took it to Bermuda on NCL. See my post for full story. You might have some hassles but be polite and keep pushing it. You are basically taking a camera on your vacation in spots where they are legal. Don't let just the fact that you are taking a boat there stop you from capturing everything you can from your vacation!

Reactions: Hounddog
Thanks so much for relating your experience. I’m not one to be discouraged by arbitrary rules and regulations. Lawyers write all sorts of stuff into stated policies. Not allowing drones to be brought on the ship at all is nonsensical. Surrendering it upon embarking does make sense of course. IMO, drones are much less of an annoyance than the ubiquitous cell phones talking in restaurants (what happened to that simple courtesy?), the obsession with texting and other usage while driving, held up in front of your face at concerts (recording it start to finish... while drunk dancing), walking into traffic without so much as a glance away from the screen...

I’ve been cruising a lot more lately and I really do want to bring a drone. I didn’t bring my P3 4K to Alaska, but I probably wouldn’t have had much opportunity to use it. The best excursion was into the Yukon and I had to work fast to capture dozens of pano series with my DSLR.

My P3 kit is just too big to carry considering I’m always carrying a large camera backpack. I really want a Mavic Pro for travel. Cruising from Amsterdam to Ireland and Scotland in August.

I am new to this world so this might be a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway....

Why would it be so terrible to fly the dron from the deck of the ship, of course with the ship completely still, and taking in consideration the basic flying rules (no fly above people, always keep the drone within sight...etc)

Why would it be so terrible to fly the dron from the deck of the ship, of course with the ship completely still, and taking in consideration the basic flying rules (no fly above people, always keep the drone within sight...etc)
1. The cruise line don't want to take the risk of having flyers of unknown ability launching around their guests or annoying them with the noise.
2. Launching from a steel deck is quite likely to cause an out of control drone incident.

Great topic! We just did this cruise in January. I didn't own my drone at the time but I can see NCLs point of view. Gotta think they would let you check it and take it on shore at the ports though. Tons of beautiful sights for sure! We stayed one night on Waikiki Beach before boarding....they do fireworks every night there. There was a guy with a drone taking pics of the show then landed it in the parking lot across the street. Gonna bet he he got some great shots!!

We did Alaska on NCL a couple years ago. Looking back, I would have really loved to have had my bird on that trip.....absolutely beautiful!!

To the OP., most of all enjoy your trip! It's beautiful! For us it was a once in a lifetime trip....I'll never spend the money to do that trip again. Alaska on the other hand.......maybe with a Mavic next time...lol. Gotta convince the wife to do the cruise again and let me buy another drone. That'll take a little work...lol

Reactions: Emporda immo
Just to follow up, I just took another cruise to Bermuda this year and this time went on the Celebrity Summit. Celebrity has it stated in their policy that drones are welcome on board to be used at ports and of course they assume no responsibility for legal action from you flying your drone when you are at port. They will confiscate it if caught fly aboard the ship and not return till cruise over. That seems like a very fair policy. I had no trouble bringing it on and no interest in flying it onboard. They just asked every time it went through the X-ray coming on the ship for me to open it up the Phantom box. I guess it looks suspicious but it the Mavic 2 Pro in my camera bag didn't :). But it was no trouble to show them and they let me take to our stateroom. Much better experience. Celebrity and other cruise lines seem to be much more understanding about this than NCL.

Horseshoe Bay

Horseshoe Bay Bermuda Small.jpg

It's awesome that they've got a clear policy allowing drones at ports, making it hassle-free for enthusiasts like you. Navigating through the X-ray with your Phantom box must have been a minor checkpoint ritual! And speaking of cruising, have you ever considered using your drone as a guide to the cruise ports of Los Angeles? Could capture some stunning views! Any tips for fellow cruisers thinking of bringing their drones on board?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik