Drones in State Parks (illegal? yes or no)

Does anyone know the laws in Massachusetts and New Hampshire?

I have checked on the NH state park website and found nothing, but when i flew there a ranger told me that he thinks they are not allowed. I honestly dont know. There are no specified rules anywhere

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I want to fly at Picacho Peak near Tucson. It is a state park. Here's what Arizona has to say about flying in its state parks:

"Q: Can I use my drone (Quadcopter/UAV) in a State Park?
A: At this time, recreational drone use is prohibited in State Parks. Commercial use will be considered with a Filming Permit for news, publicity, and promotional park projects. Film Permit rules require insurance and current FAA drone registration permit. Final decision and any fees associated with access is at the discretion of Park Management. Access to areas beyond Park boundiaries (National Forest, State Trust Lands, Game & Fish and other agencies) may require additional permission and/or permits. Please consult with approriate agency for details."

Of course, that does not mean you can not launch/land from private or public property and still be able to fly over state park land using the FAA guidelines ...

It all depends on the state. In California it is explicitly permitted to fly in State parks. In Hawaii it is forbidden.

I film a ton in Tennessee State Parks (mostly of waterfalls and overlooks). I had someone leave me a comment on one of my videos of Burgess Falls telling me they're illegal in state parks. Here is a short conversation. What do yall think? (If you want to see my vids, check out youtube.com/mikeisi)

"Allen Fenoseff
3 days ago
Just a reminder that the use of drones on state parks is illegal

mikeisi
3 days ago
+Allen Fenoseff I don't believe it currently is. I've not (as of yet) seen anything officially documenting it is illegal in Tennessee 'state' parks. There is a national ban on them within National Parks however.

Allen Fenoseff
3 days ago
+mikeisi Drones fall under the same policy as aircraft and are prohibited on all Tennessee State Parks according to the Director of State Parks in Tennessee. The policy has filtered down to staff and we inform the public when we see drones. I manage Dunbar Cave State Natural Area and Port Royal State Historic Area in Clarksville Tn. Just giving you a heads up. We , park rangers, would much rather inform people of the rules so they can have a better time on the parks instead of having to haul equipment in and then haul it out and waste your time. I hope this was helpful and saves you time and money. Thanks for visiting our parks. P.S. loved the footage, awesome."

+Allen Fenoseff Are you sure that's not just your area that restricts drones? Because both Dunbar Cave and Port Royal are under a "Restricted Special Use Airspace" because of Fort Campbell.

Before flying in our local state park here in New Mexico I searched the internet, and park website. No mention of a UAV ban or ban in the works. Got to the park, checked all signs, notices; nothing.

Put the bird in the air, quickly remembered just how loud one of these things is in a peaceful environment, snapped a few shots, did a quick lap with video on and came back to land. No sooner than I hand grabbed then I saw a angry looking man coming towards a me.

'Drones are not allowed in the park!'
He mentioned something about nesting owls..... I mention like I had said about no postings or anything on the website.
'Yeah they need to work on that'

He was just a volunteer so I asked actual employees:
'Yeah they are banned, State law'

Asked the volunteer at the welcome center and got a rambling answer about how it was a state law. I recommended putting up a sign and on the website and was told 'we would like to but we are working on the wording'.

There is no state law, I don't need a law to tell me no, a sign with UAV with a X thru it works for me. I'm not going to make them prove its LAW, but I also don't want to be yelled at for no reason.

I agree with whom ever said not to call it a drone. Apparently that does freak people out.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

All national parks and the lands they administer are out for now. In national forests, it depends which one. There doesn't seem to be a blanket ban. Though I've noticed that most ski areas, which are in national forests, prohibit them during their operating seasons. Each state and each park are different. In Georgia, Stone Mountain State Park says no, but most of the others have no restrictions. It's worth calling their administrative or PR offices to ask.
All of the Georgia State Parks I've been to DO NOT allow drones to be flown. This includes Cloudland Canyon, Black Rock Mountain, Don Carter, Moccasin Creek, Tallulah Gorge and Vogal. Please let me know which ones actually allow it ?

National Forests seem to have a realistic perspective admitting that only the FAA has authority to create "no fly zones". They have guidelines for "hobbiests" that are logical and rational .......

1zmz8mt.jpg

Before flying in our local state park here in New Mexico I searched the internet, and park website. No mention of a UAV ban or ban in the works. Got to the park, checked all signs, notices; nothing.

Put the bird in the air, quickly remembered just how loud one of these things is in a peaceful environment, snapped a few shots, did a quick lap with video on and came back to land. No sooner than I hand grabbed then I saw a angry looking man coming towards a me.

'Drones are not allowed in the park!'
He mentioned something about nesting owls..... I mention like I had said about no postings or anything on the website.
'Yeah they need to work on that'

He was just a volunteer so I asked actual employees:
'Yeah they are banned, State law'

Asked the volunteer at the welcome center and got a rambling answer about how it was a state law. I recommended putting up a sign and on the website and was told 'we would like to but we are working on the wording'.

There is no state law, I don't need a law to tell me no, a sign with UAV with a X thru it works for me. I'm not going to make them prove its LAW, but I also don't want to be yelled at for no reason.

I agree with whom ever said not to call it a drone. Apparently that does freak people out.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Well people often ask me isn't flying a drone prohibited. In the country where I live it isn't and it never was. But they heard this info from the fake news (mainstream media) and now they think that flying is prohibited. I have no idea where the fake news media got this info but I think some of the lobbies sponsored them to publish such news.

***** Caution - This is an old thread. ANYTIME you are discussing Rules, Regulations, and Law you want to make sure you're reading and discussing CURRENT stuff.*****

But they heard this info from the fake news (mainstream media) and now they think that flying is prohibited. I have no idea where the fake news media got this info but I think some of the lobbies sponsored them to publish such news.
Before regurgitating the BS claims that mainstream media is "fake news," you might want to consider that most people are just really poorly informed. They hear drones are prohibited at certain places and they think they're prohibited everywhere.

Reactions: Travels with Yoly
I don't like the term 'fake news', I prefer 'skewed', or 'biased'. But yes your right I don't think the news is where people our getting there misinformation on drones is, it's just people spreading misinformation.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
As long as you don't take off, land, or operate you drone from within the parks this includes the National Parks you can fly your drone over it. There are very few parks that the FAA has place flight restrictions at. This is actually mention right in the National Park Service memorandum

To:

Now if you crash or have to land in the park then you have some answering to do.

That seems redundant. How can you fly your drone over the park if you're not allowed to operate it within the state park?

You could operate it outside of the park. Flying over does not mean you are operating it in the park.

Some more wording from NPS.

The NPS has the authority to regulate or prohibit the use of unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS. As a result, the compendium closures required by the Policy Memorandum only apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS within the boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on non-federally (e.g., private or state) owned lands located within the exterior boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to the flight of unmanned aircraft in the airspace above a park if the device is launched, landed, and operated from or on lands and waters that are not administered by the NPS.

Reactions: Travels with Yoly
Isn't that interesting?

What's the difference for a park management if someone just flies over a park with or without taking off and landing. I can fly well into a park anyway no matter if I land there or not.

It would be interesting to know what happens if a tour helicopter or an airplane has an emergency landing within a park. God forbids that would be a hot spring in Yellowstone NP.

sUAS use within Utah State Parks is governed by rules for that specific park. In general, it seems in most Utah state parks it is permitted, however busy Utah State Parks (Dead Horse Point) has restrictions only permitting use during non-busy months. So for Utah - best to search that particular state park on Google, and/or ask a ranger at that state park.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94