Flying in UT State Parks & Bonneville Salt Flats

This is a good group of drone flyers , filled with people who are than happy to be of assistance and constructive feedback. But there are some major "naysayers." I just want to fly my drone in some beautiful country, while being very considerate of other people, National Parks, Indian reservations and tribal lands.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm just telling you what's legal. You can take it or leave it. People fly in Class B airspace without authorization without bothering anyone too, doesn't make it legal. It's the "I'll just do what I want if I don't feel like I'm bothering anyone" people that are the reason the rest of us suffer with increasingly restrictive sUAS laws. I'm really really hoping we soon see the day that the federal government and FAA formally separate commercially licensed sUAS usage and exempt us from the what will eventually become a UK-style total lockdown on hobbyist drone use - all because of people that don't care what's legal "as long as I'm not bothering anyone".

AyeYo, I am not suggesting that anyone break the law. I am referring to wilderness areas that people may drive into. I sincerely appreciate what you are saying, but I think we are comparing apples and oranges. Trust me, I have no desire to get into trouble or bother anyone.
Whenever I would see a nice spot to park as well as launch my P3Pro.
But, if anyone was where I wanted to launch, I would ask if they would mind if I launched my drone. If they told me that they did mind, which only happened twice, I would go elsewhere or wait for them to leave.
Now that we beat that "dead horse, " let us move on.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
On the subject of dead horses, Dead Horse State Park in Utah has the following drone policy:

Dead Horse Point is a small state park that often experiences high levels of visitation. In order to protect peoples’ privacy and enjoyment, along with the well being of wildlife, drones are prohibited from March through October of each year.

Between November and February of each year, drone use is permitted by permit only. Permits cost $10 and can be filled out at the visitor center (open daily 9am-5pm) before flying. Please bring your FAA drone registration number.

A google search indicates that each State Park in Utah sets its own drone policy.

Antelope island State Park has the following policy:
Drones: A person must obtain written permission from the park before operating an unmanned aircraft within the park system (R651-601-18, R651-602-8). See Special Events below.

Last year in Snow Canyon State Park, my brother asked the ranger in the fee booth about their policy, and she wasn't sure. He chose not to fly (I think if they ranger doesn't know - I'd err on the side of asking forgiveness, not permission).

Regarding "Wilderness Areas" in Utah, I would suggest that whether on BLM land or Forest Service land - you are treading on thin ice if you decide to fly from inside a Wilderness Area.
The Forest Service Website addresses drones specifically (Unmanned Aircraft Systems | US Forest Service) and says this about Wilderness Areas:

The FAA provides guidance(link is external) on “Flights Over Charted U.S. Wildlife Refuges, Parks, and Forest Service Areas”. Per this guidance, federal laws prohibit certain types of flight activity and/or provide altitude restrictions over “designated Forest Service Areas.” UAS are considered to be "mechanized” equipment and cannot take off and land in designated Wilderness Areas on National Forest System lands.

If you launched the drone outside a Wilderness Area, and flew over a Wilderness Area, while piloting outside the boundary, you might be in the clear - however I can see a Ranger still writing a citation for disturbing the wildlife. There are several Wilderness Areas in Utah whose boundaries come within hundreds of yards of paved roads (and some Wilderness Areas may even have grandfathered roads that permit mechanized travel). There are certainly several "Wilderness Study Areas" that are managed as Wilderness Areas that have grandfathered roads in them.

The Timpanogos Wilderness Area comes within hundreds of yards of the "Alpine Loop", a scenic byway. https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/regions/intermountain/MtTimpanogos/MtTimpanogosTrailMap.pdf
If you were to fly over the wilderness area, while piloting from a pullout on the highway, I think you would be fine. However it would be wise to consult with Ranger.

Another thing to consider: there have been multiple lawsuits and much discussion over helicopter skiing near Wilderness Area in northern Utah. There have been arguments against renewing permits for skiing in non-wilderness areas in national forests because the helicopters land close to the Wilderness Areas and are disturbing the recreational users in the Wilderness Area. There is historical record for heli-skiing near some Wilderness Areas in the legislative history for some of the areas, and so the permits were renewed, but other areas don't have the legislative history from the discussion when the areas were designated by Congress, and so the permits for heli-skiing near those areas have been much more disputed.

Can anyone advise me as to whether or not Drones can be flown at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah or Utah State Parks?

I know that all US National Parks and Monuments are off limits for drones, but the Bonneville Salt Flats are designated as a "National Recreation Area" and of course, State Parks are not National Parks. So I'm hoping....

• UAS are considered to be both “motorized equipment” and “mechanical transport” and, as such, they cannot take off from, land in, or be operated from congressionally designated wilderness areas.

As far as National Forests, I have a professor who is the lead archaeologist for the Forest Service in Utah. He told me he just went to a seminar about the use of drones on public lands and he will send me the PowerPoint presentation. I'll pass it along if there's anything useful. Basically, he said there are limitations on government employees using drones on Forest land for official purposes. They must have Part 107 certification to touch the controls, but he said if I go with him as a volunteer (we're doing archaeological survey) there's nothing to prevent me from using my drone and sharing the information with him a(lthough I don't yet have my Part 107), but he cannot operate the drone because he isn't certified but is federally employed.

There seems to be a bit of term confusion with "Wilderness" in this discussion. Drones (or any aerial vehicle, including helicopters) are not allowed to take off or land in Congressionally designated Wilderness Areas, except as required in emergency situations (the same as with any other mechanized vehicle). To quote information found on the U.S. Forest Service website (Tips for Responsible Hobby or Recreational Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or "Drones" on National Forest Systems Lands | US Forest Service) "UAS are considered to be both “motorized equipment” and “mechanical transport” as such they cannot take off from, land in, or be operated from congressionally designated Wilderness Areas."

Congressionally designated Wilderness Areas are different than areas called in general reference as being "wilderness". Lands that are referred to as wilderness, but that do not carry the Congressional designation, are not under the same restrictions, and will fall under the rules/restrictions imposed by the managing agency. The managing agency does not have that same freedom to grant use with regard to Congressionally designated Wilderness Areas, as they do with the other lands they manage. With the Congressional designation comes a separate, much more restrictive, set of laws and rules regarding the management of the lands that only apply only to those lands with this special Congressional designation. Regardless of the responsible federal agency (National Park Service, National Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, etc.) mechanized travel (mechanical transport), and the take off and landing of mechanized aerial vehicles, except in response to emergencies, is prohibited - period.

You probably could launch your UAS outside the boundary of a Congressionally designated Wilderness Area, and fly inside the boundary (while standing outside the boundary), then land outside the boundary. But, if your UAS happens to crash inside the boundary, you would definitely be in violation of the law. IIRC, the fines for violating the ban to mechanized travel/transport are quite stiff (in the thousands of dollars).

Reactions: AyeYo

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl