Drones and dogs don't go well together

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a scary experience the other day when I was flying my drone just after sunset. Quite a big dog too. It was going completely ballistic at my drone and was chasing it and jumping wherever the drone went. I'd tried to fly high and away from it but the dog was just going everywhere looking for it. I was very scared that I could not land my drone safely as the dog had it in its sight (the lights are so noticeable at night...) and I was running out of battery. I was asking people on the street to help me out with holding the dog so I could fly the drone away and land it safely which I did eventually.

Very scary experience, I'm sure it would have attacked the drone but also would have seriously injured himself.

Has anyone experienced similar situations with dogs? How do you manage these situations? I looked up at the manual to stop the motors in case of emergency which I would try to do if this happens again. I would grab the drone in the air by the feet and proceed with the emergency motor stop.

Cheers
Romain

I would grab the drone in the air by the feet and proceed with the emergency motor stop.
You could also just hold the left stick down until the motors stop after catching it. I find that's easier to do when hand catching.

Reactions: DKG13CC and Pharm
Hi all,

I had a scary experience the other day when I was flying my drone just after sunset. Quite a big dog too. It was going completely ballistic at my drone and was chasing it and jumping wherever the drone went. I'd tried to fly high and away from it but the dog was just going everywhere looking for it. I was very scared that I could not land my drone safely as the dog had it in its sight (the lights are so noticeable at night...) and I was running out of battery. I was asking people on the street to help me out with holding the dog so I could fly the drone away and land it safely which I did eventually.

Very scary experience, I'm sure it would have attacked the drone but also would have seriously injured himself.

Has anyone experienced similar situations with dogs? How do you manage these situations? I looked up at the manual to stop the motors in case of emergency which I would try to do if this happens again. I would grab the drone in the air by the feet and proceed with the emergency motor stop.

Cheers
Romain

Flying away at some height and let the dog follow and then returning at full speed should be sufficient (it will not be able to follow). Most dogs are only curious.

Hi all,

Cheers
Romain
Waddaya expect ole Rover to do with his first UFO sighting? He's down at the dog park now still telling Fido and Fluffy how he saved the world.
Dogs are sometimes pretty smart. When I first got my 3A the next door dog wigged out over it about like you are describing. I know the dog fairly well, and when he saw me hand catch the drone a time or two, he lost interest in it. He still gave it a wide berth, but seemed to assume that if it didn't attack me, it was probably simply annoying and nothing more. Your mileage may vary.

My German Shepherd and wolfhound have both jumped up and grabbed it, body slamming it to the ground. **** dogs! My fault for being a noob at the time though.

Last edited:
I think dogs hear the annoying ultrasonic distance measuring system on P4 and which is not audible to us . And that is why they get irritated even if the drone is out of their sight

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last weekend I had a funny dog encounter.

I had just discovered that I can fly my drone around the giant grass field outside my house while I sit on my couch inside my house. This is great for me because it is freezing cold out right now.

I was flying it in the field. I did a slow scout of the area with the drone from an altitude that would be safe to people who might have been using the field for whatever and saw no one around. It was very windy this day so I was staying low, 30 feet or less. I was just flying around in FPV mode doing some fun bank turns and zipping it all over.

I looked out my window as I zipped it down the field to catch a glimpse of my drone as it was cruising by. To my surprise there was a yellow lab chasing it jumping trying to grab it out of the air! It was maybe 6 feet off the ground or so going 20 mph or so. I just flew up to like 30 feet and laughed for a couple minutes because it was a really funny and unexpected sight.

Reactions: _SF2sqN2UePKX
Last weekend I had a funny dog encounter.

I had just discovered that I can fly my drone around the giant grass field outside my house while I sit on my couch inside my house. This is great for me because it is freezing cold out right now.

I was flying it in the field. I did a slow scout of the area with the drone from an altitude that would be safe to people who might have been using the field for whatever and saw no one around. It was very windy this day so I was staying low, 30 feet or less. I was just flying around in FPV mode doing some fun bank turns and zipping it all over.

I looked out my window as I zipped it down the field to catch a glimpse of my drone as it was cruising by. To my surprise there was a yellow lab chasing it jumping trying to grab it out of the air! It was maybe 6 feet off the ground or so going 20 mph or so. I just flew up to like 30 feet and laughed for a couple minutes because it was a really funny and unexpected sight.
Lab had to be thinking :

BEST. FRISBIE. EVER.

This has happened to me before i just asked the owner to put dog on lead so i could land safely. I wasn't too confident on hand catches then but now i wouldn't find it a problem

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi all,

Cheers
Romain

I have a pit pull. Sweet as can be. 2 boys ages 10 and 12. neighbor kids who come over. Still, puppy sweet as can be. Just a happy playful little 3 yr old pup. However, when I bring out the drone (or anything with a buzzing spinning prop) he goes CRAZY. Worries me. I cannot let my children fly their drones with pup around. Which he is, always around. To define crazy. To what you described, with my additions. Your right, cannot land it safely. The pup will go through glass, people, break through a door to get to the drone. Not only with the pup's missions to destroy the drone, is mouth/teeth start chattering uncontrollably. With some googling, the closest info I found to the chattering, was maybe anxiety. All the others possible causes were a no (e.g. desease, tumor, dental problems, cold, etc). Needless to say, seems the pup loses all control of himself when the blades are spinning.

So I found this forum and thought I would contribute with my experience.

Cheers!

Next time film it and post it on YouTube! As horrible of an experience it was for you, I find it kind of funny. lol

Seriously though, I'm glad you landed your drone safely!

that dog will get a nose full of props just one time and he won't bother it again.

Happened a few times for me. I fly at our local beach for hour building and folk take their dogs there too. Mos5 owners seem totally unconcerned about my drone, even if the dog wants to tear it apart. Like others I fly away if I have the time, until doggy loses interest. If I need to land ask the owner politely, we’ll most of the time, to remove their dog from the area.

that dog will get a nose full of props just one time and he won't bother it again.
Maybe, my beagle is hard headed, doesn't care about drones but she was sprayed by a skunk once when she was a pup and to this day she hates skunks and tries to kill everyone she comes across. The results, they are predictable...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik