Drone Use Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The East Bay Regional Park District (EBRPD) is a special district operating in Alameda County and Contra Costa County, California, within the East Bay area of the San Francisco Bay Area. It maintains and operates a system of regional parks which is the largest urban regional park district in the United States. For all intents and purposes, this organization manages the available natural open spaces across the entire region. In Dec 2015, with no public comment, the board of the district approved a universal ban on the operation of drones from any park managed property. The stated reason for this was risk to aircraft and potential impact to wildlife, specifically birds.

As you may know if you have read some of my other posts on this site, I am an avid drone operator and aerial photographer that lives and at one time was able to use these wonderful tools for to capture the beautiful and unique land and waterscapes found here. Since this ordinance was passed, drone use across general region is almost impossible. Unless operating from private property, there is essentially no accessible area available to operate from. I have basically been forced to abandon the use of these tools.

While I understand the concerns raised and support appropriately considered and vetted guidelines. Unrestricted use could create a risk in public spaces, and consideration should be given to sensitive wildlife, bird nesting areas and other wildlife concerns. However, a complete ban restricts access to and the fair use of public lands that we support with our tax dollars. Drones, when operated in accordance with FAA guidelines and in a responsible manner do not pose a unique or special risk such that a complete ban is appropriate or justified. However, letters and requests for review of the policy to the park district have gone unanswered.

I would respectfully ask that if there are other like minded drone enthusiasts out their, especially from this area, that they help me express my concerns to the board and advocate a more inclusive and responsible policy.

I feel and understand your pain. However, "For all intents and purposes, this organization manages the available natural open spaces across the entire region" is imply not accurate. The company manages 120,000 acres of park area. They maintain wilderness areas and non-motorized trails.Here is a map of the areas that they run in a very small section of California:

1551633360427.png

Even in this small area of CA, they maintain only a _very_ small section of land. My point... I really think you could find a lot of other places to fly and just avoid public parks. But don't take this the wrong way, it cannot hurt to have your voice heard and ask this company is they would allow some type of drone flight.

Reactions: trcsmith
I feel and understand your pain. However, "For all intents and purposes, this organization manages the available natural open spaces across the entire region" is imply not accurate. The company manages 120,000 acres of park area. They maintain wilderness areas and non-motorized trails.Here is a map of the areas that they run in a very small section of California:

View attachment 109128

Even in this small area of CA, they maintain only a _very_ small section of land. My point... I really think you could find a lot of other places to fly and just avoid public parks. But don't take this the wrong way, it cannot hurt to have your voice heard and ask this company is they would allow some type of drone flight.

I would have thought the same, but in living here I have found this is not the case. The majority of the areas highlighted around park managed lands is private property. There is very little national forest in this area and the few state parks are along the coast. Unfortunately, the state parks have started imposing bans as well, so this option is slipping away.

Yes, I can fly from my backyard. However, the whole point is to capture the beauty of a landscape. Drones allow for you to do that in a very unique way. When most, if not all the public areas, areas set aside specifically because they are naturally beautiful, are controlled by a administrator that bans drones unilaterally, your are left with very few options.

Sounds like an uphill battle. I can think of several flanks of attack, and none would be on the local front. Gear up, it’s going to take a lot of effort!
If I was there, I’d help.

Reactions: 430Ferrari
It’s rather stupid to ban drone flights in our national parks rather than designating specific launch and recovery sites.

The federal parks belong to all the people and are funded by the federal taxes and fees paid by the public.

This is government at its worst!

We can’t legally fly our drones, capture the beauty, and share with a world stage. I’m sure that our videos would draw domestic and foreign visitors alike.

Typical of small-minded government beauricrats and crooked politicians to legislate our rights away.

It’s rather stupid to ban drone flights in our national parks rather than designating specific launch and recovery sites.

The federal parks belong to all the people and are funded by the federal taxes and fees paid by the public.

This is government at its worst!

We can’t legally fly our drones, capture the beauty, and share with a world stage. I’m sure that our videos would draw domestic and foreign visitors alike.

Typical of small-minded government beauricrats and crooked politicians to legislate our rights away.
*bureaucrats

*bureaucrats

Sadly, we now have bans in National Parks, many state parks (this still varies by state and region) and now regional/local parks.

So, unless you live in a rural area or near national forest lands, your not going to be doing much in the way of legal drone flying.

Fair use has to apply here. If enough people raise a concern, perhaps it will.

The East Bay Regional Park District (EBRPD) is a special district operating in Alameda County and Contra Costa County, California, within the East Bay area of the San Francisco Bay Area. It maintains and operates a system of regional parks which is the largest urban regional park district in the United States. For all intents and purposes, this organization manages the available natural open spaces across the entire region. In Dec 2015, with no public comment, the board of the district approved a universal ban on the operation of drones from any park managed property. The stated reason for this was risk to aircraft and potential impact to wildlife, specifically birds.

As you may know if you have read some of my other posts on this site, I am an avid drone operator and aerial photographer that lives and at one time was able to use these wonderful tools for to capture the beautiful and unique land and waterscapes found here. Since this ordinance was passed, drone use across general region is almost impossible. Unless operating from private property, there is essentially no accessible area available to operate from. I have basically been forced to abandon the use of these tools.

While I understand the concerns raised and support appropriately considered and vetted guidelines. Unrestricted use could create a risk in public spaces, and consideration should be given to sensitive wildlife, bird nesting areas and other wildlife concerns. However, a complete ban restricts access to and the fair use of public lands that we support with our tax dollars. Drones, when operated in accordance with FAA guidelines and in a responsible manner do not pose a unique or special risk such that a complete ban is appropriate or justified. However, letters and requests for review of the policy to the park district have gone unanswered.

I would respectfully ask that if there are other like minded drone enthusiasts out their, especially from this area, that they help me express my concerns to the board and advocate a more inclusive and responsible policy.
Welcome to the Golden State. The Sacramento lunatics love to pass laws they claim are to protect us. The safety of the many overrides the freedoms of the few, even if only in their imagination. If it gets votes, pass it.

Reactions: 430Ferrari
But Californians will approve windmill farms that chew birds into tiny pieces because it “saves the environment.” Faceplant ‍♂️

B1D49139-469E-4512-8384-5DF88E6A9722.jpeg

Reactions: Basspig
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Another instance where a government agency makes laws without public input. I’m sure the fines are substantial. Since we’re on the subject, be sure to avoid the sea otter protected areas along the Monterey and Santa Cruz coast below 1000 ft. NOAA grabbed that airspace. Last I checked, the fine was up to $70,000.00.

Another instance where a government agency makes laws without public input. I’m sure the fines are substantial. Since we’re on the subject, be sure to avoid the sea otter protected areas along the Monterey and Santa Cruz coast below 1000 ft. NOAA grabbed that airspace. Last I checked, the fine was up to $70,000.00.

I happened to be hiking along the beach just north of Point Lobos in Monterey. Walked past an old knocked down fence and unreadable sign towards a series of boulders that formed a bluff jetting out over the cost line. Very pretty, but too windy for my drone.

Apparently that knocked down sign stated I was in a “protected” area. I would not have known this accept for the friendly park ranger waiting at the trail head as I hiked back. He cited me for a $286 fine for unlawful entry into a protected area. The lack of visual notice that the area of interest was protected and the clearly heavily used trail that I was on that ran through this “protected” area seemed not to phase him at all. He did seem genuinely concerned for my safety, you know hiking around big rocks could lead to a nasty trip or fall (sarcasm intended). He also mentioned that if he caught me flying my drone from this area, that would have cost be another $300.

Yeah, welcome to f**king California, land of the protected house cats.

Reactions: Basspig
In Germany there is a meaningful saying: "No knowledge does not protect against punishment" ;)

Translated by german with google translator

Reactions: BigAl07

How do you suggest people who are in those areas and wanting to get back to nature and such will feel about drones buzzing around here and there. Nature is spoiled when we fly drones there.

Another instance where a government agency makes laws without public input. I’m sure the fines are substantial.
I'm VERY confident that if it was to go for Public Comment you'd be very shocked and quickly realize what side of the argument sUAS operators are. In our industry we feel like we are numerous and have #'s on our side but in reality that simply is NOT the case.

In Germany there is a meaningful saying: "No knowledge does not protect against punishment" ;)

Translated by german with google translator
Very well said :)

Ignorance Of The Law Is No Excuse

How do you suggest people who are in those areas and wanting to get back to nature and such will feel about drones buzzing around here and there. Nature is spoiled when we fly drones there.

If you are going to spoil nature, do it right, and buy one of these.
Screenshot_20190222-153044_Gallery.jpg

I'm VERY confident that if it was to go for Public Comment you'd be very shocked and quickly realize what side of the argument sUAS operators are. In our industry we feel like we are numerous and have #'s on our side but in reality that simply is NOT the case.

Very well said :)

Ignorance Of The Law Is No Excuse

BigAl, is it your position then that broad unilateral bans of all drones is appropriate? Is that your stance? Seems pretty short sighted given you also seem to enjoy flying these around yourself. I wonder if you would be as magnanimous if your local community decided to unilaterally ban all drones in your area, and gave you no voice in the decision.

Ducking our heads and hoping for the best doesn’t seem a very reasonable course of action. I’m not advocating a policy of no rules, and am equally concerned and accommodating of those that want a walk in peace or to get back to nature. These are not city parks, these are hundreds of acres of open land. The application of appropriate guidelines around locations to operate from, distance from other visitors, even times of days all could be adopted to allow for the safe and considerate use of drones from these lands.

A simple and complete ban is easy I agree. It would also be simpler to not allow people access at all, or perhaps to ban all pets because dogs bark, or bikes because they make tracks. Easier isn’t right, it’s just easier.

Reactions: NRJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic