Drone filming at Santa Cruz beaches

Has anyone heard if there is a new ban on drones in effect for all of Santa Cruz beaches? I read an article Here's Where You Can Fly Drones in the Bay Area

And it seems to state that it is no longer to film surfing anywhere in Santa Cruz. It is now almost impossible to film surfing anywhere in the Bay Area. Any info would be appreciated.
If Santa Cruz is a STATE Beach (not a city beach) then no, you are not allowed to operate your drone on the state beach property.

While drones are not banned in ALL state parks, the superintendent of the Bay Area State Parks has banned drones in all of the Bay Area state parks EXCEPT for Airplane Hill at Mt. Tamalpais State Park.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/519/files/BAD_PO_Model_Aircraft__UAS_Glider_Use.pdf

That news article you linked to says that Seacliff State Beach allows drones, but I would double check with the district that overseas Seacliff State Beach to confirm.

Remember though that it bans operating the drone ON THE BEACH PROPERTY, but not ABOVE the beach property. So, if Santa Cruz city allows you to operate your drone on private property, you could stand on private property and fly OVER the state beach. Just can't stand ON the beach.

But Santa Cruz might have other requirements for operating a drone in town. Plus, as you know, federal regulations prevent you from flying over people, and if you plan on filming then you MIGHT need to have your 107 certificate and you MIGHT need to have a film permit from the city of Santa Cruz to keep things legal.

I get the impression that State Park Rangers LOVE to give out citations...

If Santa Cruz is a STATE Beach (not a city beach) then no, you are not allowed to operate your drone on the state beach property.

While drones are not banned in ALL state parks, the superintendent of the Bay Area State Parks has banned drones in all of the Bay Area state parks EXCEPT for Airplane Hill at Mt. Tamalpais State Park.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/519/files/BAD_PO_Model_Aircraft__UAS_Glider_Use.pdf

That news article you linked to says that Seacliff State Beach allows drones, but I would double check with the district that overseas Seacliff State Beach to confirm.

Remember though that it bans operating the drone ON THE BEACH PROPERTY, but not ABOVE the beach property. So, if Santa Cruz city allows you to operate your drone on private property, you could stand on private property and fly OVER the state beach. Just can't stand ON the beach.

But Santa Cruz might have other requirements for operating a drone in town. Plus, as you know, federal regulations prevent you from flying over people, and if you plan on filming then you MIGHT need to have your 107 certificate and you MIGHT need to have a film permit from the city of Santa Cruz to keep things legal.

I get the impression that State Park Rangers LOVE to give out citations...
Thanks for the info. Makes me sick. All I want to do is sit on the beach, away from everyone and film surfers and not bother a soul but politicians can just say screw the FAA and deny all drone operators who follow the rules. California is a communist state, especially Norcal. All politicians want to do is make weed legal and hand out free money to people who do nothing but we can't make a living filming the ocean. California is Dead.

I understand your feelings.

Just to make sure I was clear, the local politicians can't really say "screw the FAA," but they CAN tell you what not to do when standing on the ground they control.

If you have someone who lives NEAR the beach and have their permission, you can stand there and fly OVER the beach.

I assume also that if you had a boat and were in the water, then you could operate your drone from there as well.

But you are right in that the local politicians can pretty much control our actions when we are on public property.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there's also a NOAA no-fly zone along much of the San Mateo and Santa Cruz County coasts, as well as the whole of the Big Sur coast (Monterey County):
https://nmsmontereybay.blob.core.wi...a/archive/materials/maps/overflight1_full.jpg
https://nmsmontereybay.blob.core.wi...a/archive/materials/maps/overflight1_full.jpg
But to answer the question about Santa Cruz - it seems (from the article referred to earlier) that Seacliff State Beach is OK. (It's also outside the NOAA no-fly zone.) But overall, the prospects for flying along the California coast are getting increasingly bleak. (You've pretty much got to go inland, if you want to be legal :-(

Reactions: Just Mark
Another thing to keep in mind is that there's also a NOAA no-fly zone along much of the San Mateo and Santa Cruz County coasts, as well as the whole of the Big Sur coast (Monterey County):
But to answer the question about Santa Cruz - it seems (from the article referred to earlier) that Seacliff State Beach is OK. (It's also outside the NOAA no-fly zone.) But overall, the prospects for flying along the California coast are getting increasingly bleak. (You've pretty much got to go inland, if you want to be legal :-(
Yes, it is truly sad. We live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and our opportunities to use our drones are incredibly limited.

Another thing (because I know we aren't all depressed enough) is that many of the cities have requirements for filming for commercial use. So even if one were to be on private property while operating their drone, a permit might be required (either a filming permit, or a business permit for that property, or both).

The only way around that MIGHT be by operating the drone from a boat offshore... but I ain't no lawyer.

Does anyone know if the beach by Phils Fish Market in Moss Landing Ca is drone flyable? It doesnt appear to be a State Beach. Thanks

As good as airmap is, I don't know if it will provide info on LOCAL bans. For instance, in Northern California (where Santa Crus is at), there are restrictions on OPERATING (not flying over, but standing on the ground when operating) inside state parks. Also, the counties / cities have their own local bans on OPERATING in the public space.

Just pointing that out to anyone who might not be familiar with airmap.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl