Drone Crash in ocean while everything ok

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum but since I hope you can give me some advice. I'm posting my sad story.
I have had my phantom 3 professional for about 4 years and it never crashed.
About a month ago i had a problem with my gimbal because it was not recording ever so I contacted dji and they replaced the gimbal and accounting me 350 Euro for it.

Then i took my drone on a vacation wth me in Dominican Republic hoping to get beautiful shots;
i managed to fly it everywhere getting amazing pictures and photos which remained on the drone because I didn't bring a computer with me and I hoped to download them when I got home.

Then the trouble came yesterday as i decided to fly just one battery and i got to the seaside, after checking everything from satellites signal to windspeed i decided to take off and i tried to make a long distance flight of about 2km,
i remained low all the time reaching an altitude of 70m, after I got to 2km I decided to return home with full throttle same as before and at about 950m from me the screen suddenly stopped showing the shore and i saw only the blue sky with a drone leg on a corner.
i was 74m high and going 17.4m/s.
The drone has probably flown about 60m from when i lost signal.
I don't know what to do as my drone was just repaired and is still in warranty.
Also as a sidenote I would like to let you know that i was using litchi app so i didn't get any video of it, i just have 3 screenshots showing the drone view at 1000m - 2000m and the last frame given to me.
IMG_1353.jpg
IMG_1352.jpg
IMG_1351.jpg

Do you think there si a chance for my drone to be replaced?
Any suggestion is welcome.
Regards

Also as a sidenote I would like to let you know that i was using litchi app so i didn't get any video of it,
We will need to see your flight logs. From your description, this sounds to me like a bird strike. It may be possible to make some sort of determination from the log. Upload your flight log to the link below ( Instructions are on the link ).....Then place a link back here to that.

Log Viewer

Then the trouble came yesterday as i decided to fly just one battery and i got to the seaside, after checking everything from satellites signal to windspeed i decided to take off and i tried to make a long distance flight of about 2km,
i remained low all the time reaching an altitude of 70m, after I got to 2km I decided to return home with full throttle same as before and at about 950m from me the screen suddenly stopped showing the shore and i saw only the blue sky with a drone leg on a corner.
If you can provide the flight data, it might be possible to give you a likely search location and some idea of what might have caused the issue.
Your SD card will easily survive several days in sea water. The Phantom won't.
DJI won't do anything unless they can examine the drone.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree that seeing the logs would be interesting, though likely would not give enough compelling reason for DJI to offer a free replacement.
______

A side note for all who read this thread. This story is sad for sure, but it is also a good example of why a few of us so often recommend using several SD cards rather than using just one giant capacity card. Replace the SD card with every battery change. That helps to mitigate the risk of losing ALL of the high quality video from your job or your vacation if you lose your AC or if the large capacity card with everything on it somehow becomes corrupted.

Last edited:
Do you fly the drone in the sun or away from the sun ?

Do you fly the drone in the sun or away from the sun ?
And this relates to the issue how? If you are thinking OA. That would not cause the incident as described, considering the P3 does not have OA.

Reactions: JoBe
And this relates to the issue how? If you are thinking OA. That would not cause the incident as described, considering the P3 does not have OA.

It may mess with the frequency. I set my frequency to 5.8 Ghz instead of 2.4 GHz when I fly. I get less interferes.

It may mess with the frequency. I set my frequency to 5.8 Ghz instead of 2.4 GHz when I fly. I get less interferes.
Sunlight has nothing to do with it. Environmental conditions may or may not. Those settings are for man made interference avoidance. Also, the P3A and P3P do not have the change in settings anyway. It uses lightbridge which is a modified variant of 2.4GHZ.

If your talking about the Kp index forget it. Have you ever been stuck in a departure lounge at an airport while the pilot waits for the Kp index to drop because he/she is worried a high reading might effect the GPS? Have you even had issues with a wifi network when the Kp was elevated? I’m going to guess no to both. It won’t be a factor here.

The fact you might get better performance on 5.8ghz suggests you are flying where there is more congestion on the 2.4 band. Nothing to do with solar activity.

There have been enough user related experiences of DJI’s approach to warranty claims to be comfortable in predicting DJI won’t do anything for you here. While they may replace a lost AC if the DJI GO log suggests hardware/software issues they simply refuse to accept any third party log as evidence.

There have been enough user related experiences of DJI’s approach to warranty claims to be comfortable in predicting DJI won’t do anything for you here. While they may replace a lost AC if the DJI GO log suggests hardware/software issues they simply refuse to accept any third party log as evidence.
Okay, you maybe right in this case.

Hi,
I'm new to this forum but since I hope you can give me some advice. I'm posting my sad story.
I have had my phantom 3 professional for about 4 years and it never crashed.
About a month ago i had a problem with my gimbal because it was not recording ever so I contacted dji and they replaced the gimbal and accounting me 350 Euro for it.

Then i took my drone on a vacation wth me in Dominican Republic hoping to get beautiful shots;
i managed to fly it everywhere getting amazing pictures and photos which remained on the drone because I didn't bring a computer with me and I hoped to download them when I got home.

I don't know what to do as my drone was just repaired and is still in warranty.
Also as a sidenote I would like to let you know that i was using litchi app so i didn't get any video of it, i just have 3 screenshots showing the drone view at 1000m - 2000m and the last frame given to me.
View attachment 106974View attachment 106975View attachment 106976
Do you think there si a chance for my drone to be replaced?
Any suggestion is welcome.
Regards

Also i am thinkng of buying a drone again and i don't know if it would be better to get a mavic pro or buy a phantom 3 pro again to use my remaining two batteries and accessories.
Have you got any advice?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.