Drone crash: Cannot get remote to connect

Reaction score
I was given a Phantom 3 Standard that was damaged to attempt to repair for a friend. I am capable of doing any part swaps or soldering needed but have a question about the behavior.

Background on the damage: The camera stabilization plate is cracked, the two antenna wires going to the camera and flat camera cable are torn and need to be replaced. The remote control antenna is broken off and the wire inside gone.

So I removed the camera from the drone and powered it up. It turns on and the two status light flash yellow quickly ,indicating it's not communicating with the remote. I press the button on the drone to pair the remote with the drone and flip the switches on the remote as instructed. I connected a 2.4Ghz antenna from a broken laptop display I have to the remote control antenna connection. The remote starts beeping but never pairs with the drone.

So after all that the question is will the drone function without the camera assembly attached or does the remote need to communicate with the drone through it? Or do you think I just need to get a better antenna on the remote control?

Im pretty sure the AC will fly without the camera. sometimes pairing can take several attempts and there are two methods for getting this done
you will want to get the antenna issue sorted out and do not power the remote or the AC without an antenna connected doing so can fry the module

Im pretty sure the AC will fly without the camera. sometimes pairing can take several attempts and there are two methods for getting this done
you will want to get the antenna issue sorted out and do not power the remote or the AC without an antenna connected doing so can fry the module
When you say get the antenna issue sorted out are you referring to the controller remote? Are the two antenna wires that come out of the drone and go to the camera just for the camera to send video back to the app?

the 2 that come off the camera are wifi 2.4 ghz signal only. the RC also has two wifi 2.4ghz internal flat panels and the antenna sticking out of the RC is the 5.8 ghs control that one you will want to make sure is connected up to bind the RC to the AC

I have flown mine without the WiFi antennas with no problem. They are coaxial for about $18 US for the pair. The 8 wire ribbon is cheap. It should read 12 v on 4 of the wires in a line and the other 4 ground. Good luck.

@timsit,

Welcome to the forum!

You can fly without a gimbal / camera. (Only if the remote and Phantom are paired)

You will not be able to pair a Remote and Phantom if the gimbal is not working / attached.

Rod

Reactions: epicdoom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing