Drifting while Hovering. Also seems to be over correcting motor adjustments while hovering.

Reaction score
My P4P when operating in flight does perfect!! where i start noticing issues is in hover. drone descends on its own in hover, maybe couple feet. It also seems to be over correcting itself causing drone not to hover properly. its almost like its fighting itself a little. it use to sit perfectly still pretty much. Just seems unstable in hover. before anyone asks,,, imu, vps, gimbal, compass all calibrated numerous times. firmware and reset defaults. controller as well. batteries. Can someone check out todays logs and see if you can see anything that stands out?

Flight log

My P4P when operating in flight does perfect!! where i start noticing issues is in hover. drone descends on its own in hover, maybe couple feet. It also seems to be over correcting itself causing drone not to hover properly. its almost like its fighting itself a little. it use to sit perfectly still pretty much. Just seems unstable in hover. before anyone asks,,, imu, vps, gimbal, compass all calibrated numerous times. firmware and reset defaults. controller as well. batteries. Can someone check out todays logs and see if you can see anything that stands out?

Flight log
If you mean the long hovering periods you did from 8:30, they were only a short distance above the ground, looks like either the roadway or a driveway and VPS was active.
VPS would be trying to find a pattern or texture to lock onto but if the ground is featureless it will have trouble.
Next time do your hover testing up abover VPS range or disable the VPS sensors and see how that goes.

Always flew with mine off,,some surfaces it wouldn't let me land on nearly causing crash,annoying since it let me take off from them but probably not really active till in flght

Flight log
Never give up on the simple things: have you got a new set of props if so have a go at that. To me, it seems like an aircraft balance thing, even swap props front to rear and note any different result

All the DJI drones have some position stability issues when hovering, due to the inherent inaccuracies of both the barometric altimeter and GPS positioning accuracy. GPS accuracy has been improved by adding the newer GPS systems, but accuracy errors are still in the multiple feet area depending on the satellite signal geometry.

Altitude information from all the GPS systems is poor, so DJI uses a barometric altimeter instead, which is not very good but better than GPS.

All can be improved by better systems, but with significantly increased cost, and some performance problems. More accuracy generally requires more time to make the readings hence slower responsiveness.

Was going to recommend IMU calibration until I saw you already did it.

If you within VPS range you've got the explanation by 'Meta4'. Try to move the drone over some more contrasted area to see the changes.
If you go up over 10 m then the position is all on GPS. I noticed some issues in GPS signal in your log file but that all lasted only a short time.
It would be fine if we can see how and how much the drone moves during hoovering. Some slight movements are normal for every drone especially if there is some wind.

Reactions: MTO
All the DJI drones have some position stability issues when hovering, due to the inherent inaccuracies of both the barometric altimeter and GPS positioning accuracy. GPS accuracy has been improved by adding the newer GPS systems, but accuracy errors are still in the multiple feet area depending on the satellite signal geometry.

Altitude information from all the GPS systems is poor, so DJI uses a barometric altimeter instead, which is not very good but better than GPS.

All can be improved by better systems, but with significantly increased cost, and some performance problems. More accuracy generally requires more time to make the readings hence slower responsiveness.

Interesting you say that... my P4Pv2 just refuses to stay in place - flies great, doesn't like 'standing guard.' However, both of my Air 2's are rock solid steady. I've been doing some jobs lately that involve staying still and filming for the length of a battery or three, and they rarely require any input from me, but if I try the same job with the Phantom, it's nonstop adjustments.

Maybe something wrong with the gyro?
Have you tried this with another Phantom? And try it above 10 m high.
Are the propellers balanced correctly?

I knew they had to be in the IMU somewhere, but in what part? I'm guessing in the camera body maybe in the pitch ESC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen