Dont make the same stupid mistake I made!

PLUS + putting what ever your using in "Airplane mode" sure helps too..and i went in my SAMSUNG Tablet A6 in developer options and changed some settings and i'm very happy with my Android Tablet A6.....Never a issue or a problem...for the near year i have been using it.

Android : Funny some can swear at them and others swear by them LOL.
I love SAMSUNG Tab A6

Just my 2 cents...

There seems to be a fairly wide disconnect between DJI Hardware, DJI Warranty, DJI Software and DJI support. The latter is worthless...nothing more than mere decoration. The former 2 are pretty awesome. My experience with DJI Hardware and DJI Warranty have been very good. BUT...I do a LOT of hand-holding. I don't just send the bird back and say, "This doesn't work." I painstakingly post videos to show the condition and what I did to try to eliminate variables. For instance, in this video, after my business partner had sent his bird back once only to find it wasn't repaired, I show DJI that the problem is NOT the controller:

As you can see, my business partner, Derek, had sent the bird back once before and had received a new controller. I wanted to make sure that that didn't happen again.

The real secret to making DJI products reliable is to approach their software and firmware with caution. NEVER use the latest/greatest software/firmware. I have found LEGACY versions of BOTH that work extremely well in ALL my birds. Between my partner and I, we have 3 Inspire 1's, 3 P4P's and 1 Mavic Pro (mine). All 3 run legacy firmware. Both apps, Go and Go 4, are also legacy versions.

For me, this is a win. Most folks buy these birds because they're sold as "plug-n-play." But, unfortunately, as you have experienced, they have issues. But you're not alone! The Pro's do this, too. TWO of my highest paying gigs were when professional cameramen purchased drones for aerial shots, and duly crashed them, losing an entire day's footage.

Because I ignore updates and do my research regarding which FW and Software does what, my birds are 100% rock solid reliable - all 7 of them. I think this puts me and my partner ahead of the game business-wise. Add to the list that the P4P's have been hacked so they RTH at 33-34 mph instead of the OEM 26 mph (and some other hacks), and we've become a very efficient machine. I find the more proactive I am with drone (turn off all automated safety nets, and rely on my own awareness), the better. Object Avoidance is disabled on all birds.

Ironically, the only 3 crashes I've had in my life have been due to prop failure, 2 of them due to aftermarket props. There's no firmware cure for that....<;^)

My strong recommendation is to document your issues via video, and upload them to YouTube. A video is worth a million words.

Good luck!

D

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Have to agree with fcarfan, where else would you go to complain about DJI, your local car dealer. He is complaining about a DJI product and I have to agree with him. Have had two Phantoms and get quite frustrated with DJI tech support and also their poor quality control. I think they are releasing products before full testing is complete. As a retired test pilot I sure as heck would not want to fly a plane if the Q.C. was as poor as DJI's.
Let's face it, when you pay $2500 or more for a product the last thing you want is a five week repair wait or worse, to watch your quad dive into the ground because of poor design quality. If there were other good quads available I definitely would be looking elsewhere. Yes, I enjoy my quads but the tech problems are not appreciated. Thank goodness for the forum because otherwise we would never get answers to our problems.

I have owned three DJI Phantoms and still have and fly a P4 and a P4A+. They are totally reliable and truly brilliant in their design and capability. Over the years I have had 4 crashes, all of them due to pilot error. These systems are highly complex and no one should expect to buy one and immediately go flying it without carefully reading the manual, watching some tutorial videos and getting some practice with the simulator built into DJI Go. I used DJI Care Refresh to exchange my first P4A after a crash broke off the gimbal arm. My replacement arrived within 2 weeks of sending in the broken one. Been flying them for three years now. I would recommend DJI products to anyone except maybe an idiot.

Very recently I purchased a Phantom 4 ProV2.0 from the DJI store. In the past, I have also owned a Phantom 2 Vision+.

The P4P V2.0 arrived fairly quickly. The first 2-3 exploratory flights went well, though I did notice that the video on my mobile device(S) was lagging and somewhat pixelized. The last 6 or so flights have been horrible. I have used two different Android mobile devices and several different USB cables. All combinations have yielded the same problems.

In addition to badly pixelized video I have also experienced "No Signal" error, "failed to enter tripod" error, "Flight altitude and distance restricted to 50 and 30 respectively..." error. Bottom line, the drone is unusable.

Back to the subject of this thread, i.e. my stupidity. I experienced problems with P2V+, specifically the infamous WIFI module failure. I had to send the P2 to California TWICE to have the issue addressed. Each time I was without the drone for 5 weeks.

My P4P is about to take its own journey to California. Another 5 weeks will pass and the only question is will the drone have to make yet another trip to be repaired.

Bottom line: DJI designs products with great features. From my own experience, DJI products are unreliable, and as many have experienced, their product support is totally unacceptable.

Dont make the same stupid mistake I made, do not buy DJI.

Very recently I purchased a Phantom 4 ProV2.0 from the DJI store. In the past, I have also owned a Phantom 2 Vision+.

The P4P V2.0 arrived fairly quickly. The first 2-3 exploratory flights went well, though I did notice that the video on my mobile device(S) was lagging and somewhat pixelized. The last 6 or so flights have been horrible. I have used two different Android mobile devices and several different USB cables. All combinations have yielded the same problems.

In addition to badly pixelized video I have also experienced "No Signal" error, "failed to enter tripod" error, "Flight altitude and distance restricted to 50 and 30 respectively..." error. Bottom line, the drone is unusable.

Back to the subject of this thread, i.e. my stupidity. I experienced problems with P2V+, specifically the infamous WIFI module failure. I had to send the P2 to California TWICE to have the issue addressed. Each time I was without the drone for 5 weeks.

My P4P is about to take its own journey to California. Another 5 weeks will pass and the only question is will the drone have to make yet another trip to be repaired.

Bottom line: DJI designs products with great features. From my own experience, DJI products are unreliable, and as many have experienced, their product support is totally unacceptable.

My Experience with DJI has been really good. Their Phantom 4 Pro is a fantastic machine that does more than most owners will ever even try. I did have problems with the software and had to send it back twice, but customer service was fast, and replaced the drone twice for me at no cost even paying for shipping both ways.. I have over 2000 minutes on this P4P with no problems since the original teething problems. I find it difficult to believe that others have such a low regard for DJI Customer Service. They have been great to me.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
I was prompted to update my firmware today when I ran the GO app to look at something (I use Lichi). No thank you DJI. I like my P3P just the way it is.

Based on the number of postings which start out, "The Go app told me to update, I did that, and now my Phantom just sits there flashing and chimes on the hour", or something like that, you may have avoided becoming another casualty.

Hi,
I purchased a DJI pro that his the built in screen here in Australia.
I am struggling to get photos and video off the device.

I tried dji help but spent have the day on hold..

What's the process do getting these photo off the device and onto a memory stick?

It sounds like the big mistake you made was to assume that it was the drone that was the problem.
The issues you've mentioned are mostly coming from the app and not the drone.
The app is demanding and trying to run it on a substandard phone or tablet will give poor results.
The distance 50/30 metres restriction is simply fixed by signing out of the app and signing back in.
There's no need to send the drone in when the drone is not the problem.

Bottom line is that DJI make great products that are exceptionally reliable and that most users have no problems with.
Almost certainly your problems are due to your tablet and/or configuration.
Don't buy DJI??
Show me a drone that comes close to DJI for features and performance.
I'm not aware of any.
There's a reason that DJI sells more than 70% of all ready to fly drones.
If your assumptions were correct, they wouldn't be able to dominate the market as they do.
Very well put...My experience over the past 3 years with DJI, 6 drones and two visits to the repair facility [for issues I imposed, not DJI] was exceptional... repairs back in less than 10 days and at a price I couldn't match... completely destroyed P4P [my spotter called out too late] hit the driveway and shattered - 10 days and $250 later and I have a new bird... nothing but praise for DJI... birds are exceptional - service is superb... nothing comparable at this price point.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
DJI support leaves a LOT to be desired. I have been instructed on 3 separate occasions to return my P4P to them for service, when in reality the 3 unrelated problems were either operator error (my fault) or as simple as a microSD card formatted incorrectly.
Love their products, hate their “support”.

Surprise, surprise
After reading all the posts RE LLLOOONNNGGGG repair turn around times I was VERY surprised when my P3S was received by DJI on Thursday and shipped back to me on Friday. I shipped it out on the 8th and rcvd it on the 22st. 12 days in transit - 6 each way - NC to CA.. I have yet to fly it to test the repair - YES it was the same video issue.
They must have finally stocked up on cameras and gimble assy, instead of ordering from China as needed. That would account for the extra 3 week delay experienced by many.
Check your craft's serial number. You likely got a different craft back, swapped out. My turn-around record is 9 days for my craft to be swapped out, but I live only 30mi from DJI Cerritos, CA, overnight UPS.

Last edited:
Star with the oblivious check / replace your USB card on your bird. Check your USB prot entry for any unusal dents that wont let the card seat correctly

Good Luck

Hawaii Mike

Even OnePlus3 and 5 are more than capable of running DJI apps. OnePlus 6 also isn't a question ;)

Using an Android device is the majority of your problem.

Just purchased my phantom for pro lost signal first day I had it one thing I’ve learned that fixed most of my problems if you have a wireless router anywhere close it will destroy your signal so I turned mine off and it’s been almost flawless but there still little bugs little glitches still not totally satisfied with the fan on my Mavic pro is perfect but after a year I’m starting to get some problems with that now I was someone in the USA would start building professional consumer drones that are flawless automatic updates firmware updates and let us just have fun flying these little planes all I read on here or problems with this , hopefully the phantom five will be a new creation let’s cross our fingers guys

I struggled with many android devices for 4 years. Finally I switched to an IPAD pro and have had zero problems since.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4