Dont make the same stupid mistake I made!

And..... The Dji Drone Company has a few people here on this PH site.....stay around long enough and you will locate them pretty e a s y too !

I had to send the P2 to California TWICE to have the issue addressed. Each time I was without the drone for 5 weeks.

glad you don't have to send it to california, but just so you know i sent mine to them and got it back in about 2 weeks.

You are absolutely correct.

I will start this update with a mea culpa.....

As it turns out the problem I was experiencing was due to the fact that both the Nexus 6P and the Nexus 10 do not have sufficient horsepower to handle the data the P4P throws at it. Today I got access to a recent model iPad, everything worked smoothly. I must say I am very surprised that the Nexus 6P did not work properly.

I have been thinking of upgrading my phone to OnePlus 6. Has anyone flown the P4P v2.0 with this device?
Your experience mirrors mine 3yrs ago (using the Pilot app) with my P3P. I'm an Android fan and tried 2 different android tablets, the second was very high end, and expensive. Both of them pixelated with artifacts and had terrible lag. I tried all of the tips acquired in this forum, but it was simply unacceptable performance. After 2wks of that non-sense, I begrudgingly tried my wife's ipad Mini3. I was excited because it worked great. Since then I've only used iPads for flying my DJI drones.

I personally don't like IOS, only because of the editor. It's a huge design flaw IMO. The IOS bubble magnifier to place the curser is too cumbersome for me. To text and email with IOS is way slower than Android with Swype. But... I only fly with iPads, because they work with DJI Go4.

BTW, although the Apple A7 CPU works with Go (P3P), it will overheat in ambient temps of 90F and higher (iPad Mini2 and 3). Many folks say the A7 doesn't even work with Go4 anymore. So stay away from iPad Mini2 and 3 if you're thinking of buying a refurb or used iPad. The Mini 4 and the Air 2 have the A8 CPU chip, which works good. Later models with A9 and A10 are good too.

Another tip, when you find a combination that works, TURN OFF auto update for apps on the iPad, and DON'T update the OS. Don't upgrade the firmware of the craft or RC either. FREEZE your configuration and you will be happy, with no surprises. Resist the urge to update DJI firmware, just because they offer a new feature for free, it's not worth the risk of ruining a perfectly good flying camera setup. Others will disagree, and that's OK. But MANY OTHERS have added to their frustrations when they change things, or let DJI change things, when you have auto update enabled for your iPad apps. This forum is full of those stories, and I smile with happiness because my FROZEN P4P firmware and app from 1yr ago are still working great..... no wait, it's flying fantastic!

Last edited:
I was prompted to update my firmware today when I ran the GO app to look at something (I use Lichi). No thank you DJI. I like my P3P just the way it is.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
The best thing you can do as far as your device and the Go4 app is to get rid of the android and get at least a Ipad Mini4 or better. I've had all kinds of problems with DJI and Android and really none with Ipads. I'm not an Apple fan, my phone and watch is android, but with the DJI apps Apple is the way to go.

I agree... I'm an Android fan but for DJI drones an iPad is the way to go...

Gotcha. I was going to recommend 5.8 auto (unless you were out in the wilderness) but it sounds like you've tried it. Sorry you're having such bad reception. It definitely could be a faulty drone. I'm not sure I would go along with the blanket don't buy anything DJI quite yet (since so many of us have had perfect experiences with our P4Ps) but I can certainly understand your frustration.
Mine too went back after 2 flights and they sent me a brand new one in return, all within 3 weeks and it’s perfectly fine this one!

I have had excellent experiences with all 3 DJI products I've owned ... P3, P4P and Mavic Air. I always keep the software and firmware up-to-date and in sync across devices. I would believe that the market that places DJI as the leading drone vendor are making a statement that DJI is doing many things correctly. I do think flying a drone requires the owner to have more computer skills (e.g. software/firmware) than expected by most owners. Owning a drone also requires owners to be most thorough in reading manuals and monitoring websites such as this. That being said DJI needs to have a better balance between pushing technology for leading edge products and providing customer service for existing products.

It sounds like the big mistake you made was to assume that it was the drone that was the problem.
The issues you've mentioned are mostly coming from the app and not the drone.
The app is demanding and trying to run it on a substandard phone or tablet will give poor results.
The distance 50/30 metres restriction is simply fixed by signing out of the app and signing back in.
There's no need to send the drone in when the drone is not the problem.

Bottom line is that DJI make great products that are exceptionally reliable and that most users have no problems with.
Almost certainly your problems are due to your tablet and/or configuration.
Don't buy DJI??
Show me a drone that comes close to DJI for features and performance.
I'm not aware of any.
There's a reason that DJI sells more than 70% of all ready to fly drones.
If your assumptions were correct, they wouldn't be able to dominate the market as they do.
Heard that 1

Got to agree with the majority here DJI make amazing equipment. . . nothing is ever going to be perfect ALL the time but DJI comes closer than the others. Own a P4P+ and Mavic . . never had an issue that was not my fault (except their original method for geoFencing) but I think they learned quickly from that. Some of their tech staff are not the most well rounded in English subtleties or other suppliers equipment . . I was most please to see the originators of this thread own up to the reality of their beef . . and also not get trashed by the rest of the forum . . . this is a great place to learn almost anything BEFORE you got to DJI . . . I always come here to find answers before I go to DJI Forum. Thanks guys!

Reactions: Propell
Very recently I purchased a Phantom 4 ProV2.0 from the DJI store. In the past, I have also owned a Phantom 2 Vision+.

The P4P V2.0 arrived fairly quickly. The first 2-3 exploratory flights went well, though I did notice that the video on my mobile device(S) was lagging and somewhat pixelized. The last 6 or so flights have been horrible. I have used two different Android mobile devices and several different USB cables. All combinations have yielded the same problems.

In addition to badly pixelized video I have also experienced "No Signal" error, "failed to enter tripod" error, "Flight altitude and distance restricted to 50 and 30 respectively..." error. Bottom line, the drone is unusable.

Back to the subject of this thread, i.e. my stupidity. I experienced problems with P2V+, specifically the infamous WIFI module failure. I had to send the P2 to California TWICE to have the issue addressed. Each time I was without the drone for 5 weeks.

My P4P is about to take its own journey to California. Another 5 weeks will pass and the only question is will the drone have to make yet another trip to be repaired.

Bottom line: DJI designs products with great features. From my own experience, DJI products are unreliable, and as many have experienced, their product support is totally unacceptable.

Dont make the same stupid mistake I made, do not buy DJI.
I had the same problem, I switched to an apple devise device and all my problems went away.

Your experience mirrors mine 3yrs ago (using the Pilot app) with my P3P. I'm an Android fan and tried 2 different android tablets, the second was very high end, and expensive. Both of them pixelated with artifacts and had terrible lag. I tried all of the tips acquired in this forum, but it was simply unacceptable performance. After 2wks of that non-sense, I begrudgingly tried my wife's ipad Mini3. I was excited because it worked great. Since then I've only used iPads for flying my DJI drones.

I personally don't like IOS, only because of the editor. It's a huge design flaw IMO. The IOS bubble magnifier to place the curser is too cumbersome for me. To text and email with IOS is way slower than Android with Swype. But... I only fly with iPads, because they work with DJI Go4.

BTW, although the Apple A7 CPU works with Go (P3P), it will overheat in ambient temps of 90F and higher (iPad Mini2 and 3). Many folks say the A7 doesn't even work with Go4 anymore. So stay away from iPad Mini2 and 3 if you're thinking of buying a refurb or used iPad. The Mini 4 and the Air 2 have the A8 CPU chip, which works good. Later models with A9 and A10 are good too.

Another tip, when you find a combination that works, TURN OFF auto update for apps on the iPad, and DON'T update the OS. Don't upgrade the firmware of the craft or RC either. FREEZE your configuration and you will be happy, with no surprises. Resist the urge to update DJI firmware, just because they offer a new feature for free, it's not worth the risk of ruining a perfectly good flying camera setup. Others will disagree, and that's OK. But MANY OTHERS have added to their frustrations when they change things, or let DJI change things, when you have auto update enabled for your iPad apps. This forum is full of those stories, and I smile with happiness because my FROZEN P4P firmware and app from 1yr ago are still working great..... no wait, it's flying fantastic!
Wow John. Talk about birds of a propeller! I have had almost the exact same experience as you reported. With the exception that my son owns a computer store so I have many more options to try things than the average guy/gal. My 8" Tab 4 Android was working just fine ......UNTIL....I updated the GO4 App that is. Then no video feed what so ever. Controls all worked and telemetry showed. Went to the kids store and tried another same exact Tab 4 with the same OS. It didn't work either. Tried a "10" tab 4 with the same OS. That one worked fine! Basically, I tried half a dozen Android tablets.......some newer, some older than the one that quit on me. One, exactly the same as mine in regard to model and OS worked fine with the updated GO4 app. Two didn't. Like you I bought an Apple 9.7 Air table. NO issues! So now I only fly my drones with Apple tablets and I truly hate almost everything about them. Biggest gripe is the lack of being able to add additional memory via Sim card. I ONLY use now 2 Ipads for flying drones. All the default stuff (that I can) on both of them has been turned off.

I recently bought the Crystal Sky 8" Ultra Bright monitor. Price is way out of reason, but if I keep having to buy Apple crap, it's worth it in the long run. Happy Flying!

Reactions: deltamike
Surprise, surprise
After reading all the posts RE LLLOOONNNGGGG repair turn around times I was VERY surprised when my P3S was received by DJI on Thursday and shipped back to me on Friday. I shipped it out on the 8th and rcvd it on the 22st. 12 days in transit - 6 each way - NC to CA.. I have yet to fly it to test the repair - YES it was the same video issue.
They must have finally stocked up on cameras and gimble assy, instead of ordering from China as needed. That would account for the extra 3 week delay experienced by many.

I'm a bit surprised myself that the 6P didn't hold up better based on its specs.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to review the current list of compatible devices vetted by DJI prior to upgrading your phone. Speaking from experience, if the device that you're considering hasn't been vetted by DJI, you may end up with the same or other issues that you recently experienced. Just my two cents.

In closing, I believe you'll find far more practical working knowledge in this forum than you will get from DJI. That's just my opinion, but I believe others would support that assessment.

What you say is true. And because the drones cost so much, when we err we often want to blame the drone because of the fear of having spent money in vain. But, my opinion in reading so much here is that the first reaction is to blame DJI when more often it is pilot error. I see this often. I know there are some examples of poor service from DJI but sometimes I think it is a communications issue, even language difference. I've also seen instances of DJI helping someone in a very professional manner. Bottom line: To avoid the bad instances I suggest dealing with DJI local dealers in your own country. Our U.S. dealers carry our values and speak colloquially very well with customers understanding them better. This is just natural. This forum also is a great help as was just illustrated in this particular thread.

The best thing you can do as far as your device and the Go4 app is to get rid of the android and get at least a Ipad Mini4 or better. I've had all kinds of problems with DJI and Android and really none with Ipads. I'm not an Apple fan, my phone and watch is android, but with the DJI apps Apple is the way to go.
The best thing the manufacturers can do is give us controllers with monitors built in to the console avoiding all these video drops due to phone connections. THAT, to me, would be the perfect controller. Just think, turn on controller, turn on drone, READY.

Reactions: deltamike
I’ve owned a p4 for six months and had
My first crash with damage. I sent it in - and had exceptional experience with quick turnaround, detailed repairs with pictures, an incredibly low quote cheaper than sending it somewhere else, and fast shipping. I think they did exceptional.

Very recently I purchased a Phantom 4 ProV2.0 from the DJI store. In the past, I have also owned a Phantom 2 Vision+.

The P4P V2.0 arrived fairly quickly. The first 2-3 exploratory flights went well, though I did notice that the video on my mobile device(S) was lagging and somewhat pixelized. The last 6 or so flights have been horrible. I have used two different Android mobile devices and several different USB cables. All combinations have yielded the same problems.

In addition to badly pixelized video I have also experienced "No Signal" error, "failed to enter tripod" error, "Flight altitude and distance restricted to 50 and 30 respectively..." error. Bottom line, the drone is unusable.

Back to the subject of this thread, i.e. my stupidity. I experienced problems with P2V+, specifically the infamous WIFI module failure. I had to send the P2 to California TWICE to have the issue addressed. Each time I was without the drone for 5 weeks.

My P4P is about to take its own journey to California. Another 5 weeks will pass and the only question is will the drone have to make yet another trip to be repaired.

Bottom line: DJI designs products with great features. From my own experience, DJI products are unreliable, and as many have experienced, their product support is totally unacceptable.

Dont make the same stupid mistake I made, do not buy DJI.
I had this same problem after updating the firmware. My issue was resolved only after I updated the controller AND drone.. Working fine now..

I will echo many here. I too had lots of issues when I first received my drone. The same kind you were having. I thought it was ME doing something wrong. Once I changed to an android device with enough "horsepower" to handle the app and all it does, I haven't had those problems again. I'm very glad you found out before sending it back.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl