Does your phone freeze when flying?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to drones. I just got my first ever drone, the Phantom 3 Standard, yesterday. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6, and I just took my drone out for its 3rd flight.

I decided to try one of the intelligent flight modes, and had it on "point of interest." It was circling, and I saw what it did, so it was time to stop. My phone froze and totally became unusable. At that point, I had no way to safely bring the drone down. My brother bailed me out with his iPhone 6s and I used the app on his phone. Is this normal when flying? It was a bit concerning.

This is only my 3rd flight, and this didn't happen the first 2 flights. I am definitely going to keep an eye on it over several more flights, but I just wanted to see what more experienced users have to say.

Thanks,
Christian

It does happen sometimes. What's your Android version, Go app version and your FW version ?

You don't need the app to safely land your P3S , toggle S1 back up to P-GPS to cancel F - Mode and land .GO APP version 3.1.5 seems to have problems with newer phones

You don't need the app to safely land your P3S , toggle S1 back up to P-GPS to cancel F - Mode and land .GO APP version 3.1.5 seems to have problems with newer phones

Thanks, super helpful to know! The remote worked perfectly, but I was panicking because had my brother not had his phone, I wouldn't know what to do. I feel much better about flying now.

It does happen sometimes. What's your Android version, Go app version and your FW version ?

Android 7.0 (April, 2017 security patch)
Go app version 3.1.5
FW version - I think it's the latest. I just updated it yesterday, but it keeps saying "battery update required" and I'm not sure what this means or what I need to do.

Is there a way to cancel return to home from the remote? Sorry for the noob question, I'm totally new to this.

P3S updates through the app , start just the app and connect to home Wi-Fi , it will show if update is available , download to device , turn on remote and aircraft and app switch back to P3S wi-fi and it will update , batteries update by putting battery in phantom and turning on so if you buy extra batteries just put it in and it will update automatically

Go app version 3.1.5
FW version - I think it's the latest. I just updated it yesterday, but it keeps saying "battery update required" and I'm not sure what this means or what I need to do.
I've been having issues with the Go app since version 3.13 and up. On the Android version 7 I've read many posts that Go has been having issues with this Android version. I still have Android version 6 as my tablet (Nexus 7) has peaked out with version 6. This is why I've been using Litchi more and more. Personal I think it's a better app for us Android users.

P3S updates through the app , start just the app and connect to home Wi-Fi , it will show if update is available , download to device , turn on remote and aircraft and app switch back to P3S wi-fi and it will update , batteries update by putting battery in phantom and turning on so if you buy extra batteries just put it in and it will update automat

I initiated the firmware update yesterday and it stopped saying the drone already has the latest firmware, but I still get the nag when I open the app. And the nag says battery update required. I only have 1 battery and I've had about 3 flights, so it's been on for a while with the battery in. Ideas?

Go app version 3.1.5
If you only have one battery, it should have updated with your FW as it was in the drone during this process. If not , power up the drone and RC, connect to the app and wait at the first screen (don't go into camera view) and wait for a message similar to 'inconsistent firmware', slide the message across and the app will update the battery. If you have more than one battery, repeat the above process with each of them.

Reactions: drumrocker365
I've been having issues with the Go app since version 3.13 and up. On the Android version 7 I've read many posts that Go has been having issues with this Android version. I still have Android version 6 as my tablet (Nexus 7) has peaked out with version 6. This is why I've been using Litchi more and more. Personal I think it's a better app for us Android users.

I saw a video where Litichi crashed someone's drone, so I'm very hesitant to try it..

If you only have one battery, it should have updated with your FW as it was in the drone during this process. If not , power up the drone and RC, connect to the app and wait at the first screen (don't go into camera view) and wait for a message similar to 'inconsistent firmware', slide the message across and the app will update the battery. If you have more than one battery, repeat the above process with each of them.

Thanks! I'll try it.

I saw a video where Litichi crashed someone's drone, so I'm very hesitant to try it..
That's total nonsense, there are hundreds of people crashing their drone every year using the Go app. So are you going to stop using the Go app because of people having crashes or fly-a-ways? Most (80% at the min) of crashes or fly-a-ways are pilot error.

That's total nonsense, there are hundreds of people crashing their drone every year using the Go app. So are you going to stop using the Go app because of people having crashes or fly-a-ways? Most (80% at the min) of crashes or fly-a-ways are pilot error.

You may be right, but it's hard to ignore this..

I've seen lots of threads where the PILOT crashed their drone using Litchi but have never seen one where Litchi was the cause. Can you post a link to the video?

You posted the video while I was typing. :)

From my understanding the Go app works better with the iOS than it does with a Android device, especially lately.
Take it from me and many other Litchi users, it's a much better app for Android. I get out farther, the FVP image is better and have never had a screen freeze or app crash, I can't say the same for Go.

From my understanding the Go app works better with the iOS than it does with a Android device, especially lately.
Take it from me and many other Litchi users, it's a much better app for Android. I get out farther, the FVP image is better and have never had a screen freeze or app crash, I can't say the same for Go.

Alright, I'm definitely gonna give it a shot. My wallet is cleaned out for now since I just got the drone, but when I get $25, I think I'll give it a shot.

You may be right, but it's hard to ignore this..
Means nothing, again there are hundreds of posts and videos of crashes with people using the Go app. It only means drones crash, that just the way it is no matter which app your using.

Look at his transmitter power. It's at zero. He's almost directly beneath the Phantom. EVERYONE knows not to do this because the signal has crappy line of site to the drone. Pilot error. He had no contact with the Phantom so it wasn't receiving the "cancel landing" command. When he got communication back, he didn't bother to try and cancel the landing.

When he tried the waypoint mission and decided to abort it (not sure why), all he had to do was flip the switch to P mode, which he didn't do. It was an easy fix. He used CSC and crashed his drone. Pilot error. This is what happens when one doesn't bother to read the manual.

In other words, Litchi didn't crash his Phantom, HE did. This was 100% pilot error.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl