Does litchi replace the DJI Go4 software?

Reaction score
I fly both a Phantom 4 Pro and a Mavic-2 Zom. I am considering trying Litchi software.
  1. When putting Litchi software on your controller does it replace the DJI software of can both reside and be selectable?
  2. I need feedback on how user feel about Litchi vs the DJI apps?
  3. I want to do roof photography inspections. Does Litchi have an app for that?
  4. Where do I get real user feedback of Litchi vs DJI software?
Jim

I have used Litchi for 4 years to produce dozens of aerial videos of the Maine Mid-Coast. I feel it is far superior to DJI Go4, especially when it comes to Waypoint missions which is what I use more than 90% of the time. Unlike The DJI software you can program the mission in advance setting waypoints, speed, altitude, points of interest, etc. on the Mission app at flylitchi.com. Once saved, the mission is automatically updated to your mobile device Litchi app. Litchi also allows you to set all of the altitudes of your waypoints relative to ground at the location of each waypoint rather than trying to manually determine altitudes in areas of rapid elevation changes. Finally, a neat feature that I use frequently, you can produce a file of your mission once you have finished programming it and have saved it which you can then input to Google Earth Pro. This permits you to see a 3D simulation of your flight which is great for checking your route, camera angles and points of interest. A final comment is that I have always found the Litchi app to be more stable than the DJI software. And, oh yeah, you can also fly FPV, do Orbits, and do Pano photos within the Litchi app.

Hope this helps.

I have used Litchi for 4 years to produce dozens of aerial videos of the Maine Mid-Coast. I feel it is far superior to DJI Go4, especially when it comes to Waypoint missions which is what I use more than 90% of the time. Unlike The DJI software you can program the mission in advance setting waypoints, speed, altitude, points of interest, etc. on the Mission app at flylitchi.com. Once saved, the mission is automatically updated to your mobile device Litchi app. Litchi also allows you to set all of the altitudes of your waypoints relative to ground at the location of each waypoint rather than trying to manually determine altitudes in areas of rapid elevation changes. Finally, a neat feature that I use frequently, you can produce a file of your mission once you have finished programming it and have saved it which you can then input to Google Earth Pro. This permits you to see a 3D simulation of your flight which is great for checking your route, camera angles and points of interest. A final comment is that I have always found the Litchi app to be more stable than the DJI software. And, oh yeah, you can also fly FPV, do Orbits, and do Pano photos within the Litchi app.

Hope this helps.
That is a great recommendation. Would Waypoint missions work for roof inspections? Small area Waypoints flying back and forth at low altitudes over a roof. I bought the Mavic-2 Zoom to be able to fly higher over the roofs using the Zoom.

If I put the Litchi app on my drone, does it replace the DJI app or are both apps available?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Jim

You can have both apps on your mobile device at the same time, but only one of them should be active and uploaded to the drone at any one time.

As for roof inspections, it would probably be better to use the FPV mode on Litchi and fly the drone manually. The interface on your screen for doing this is almost exactly the same as the DJI Go4 app so you don’t have to learn a different method.

Reactions: R Martin
  1. When putting Litchi software on your controller does it replace the DJI software of can both reside and be selectable?
  2. I need feedback on how user feel about Litchi vs the DJI apps?
  3. I want to do roof photography inspections. Does Litchi have an app for that?
  4. Where do I get real user feedback of Litchi vs DJI software?
1. Litchi does some things that Go doesn't and it's great for that.
I still use DJI Go 4 for general flying and photography as it's better for that but Litchi for waypoint flight.

2. Both are very reliable and stable.
If anyone suggests DJI go isn't stable, they are running it on a substandard or poorly configured device.

3. Litchi isn't the ideal solution for roof inspection.
You'd be better off looking at one of the mapping apps like this:

4. Here.
Both programs are very good and they each have their place

I’m the one who is suggesting DJI Go4 is sometimes unstable after using it for the past 4 years and I am flying with an Apple IPad Pro.

1. Litchi does some things that Go doesn't and it's great for that.
I still use DJI Go 4 for general flying and photography as it's better for that but Litchi for waypoint flight.

2. Both are very reliable and stable.
If anyone suggests DJI go isn't stable, they are running it on a substandard or poorly configured device.

3. Litchi isn't the ideal solution for roof inspection.
You'd be better off looking at one of the mapping apps like this:

4. Here.
Both programs are very good and they each have their place
Does Litchi support automatic RTH when the battery runs low or if the controller signal is lost?
I really appreciate your answers. They are very clear.

Jim

My iPad Pro has 256 gigs of RAM.
It might have 256 GB of storage but it has a much smaller amount of RAM (memory).
No iPad has 256 GB of RAM.

I'm not an Apple user so I can't tell what's upsetting the app on your iPad, but the app runs perfectly on my tablets and the same for many other users.
That you've observed an issue on yours suggests there might be a configuration issue (or something similar) on your tablet.

Reactions: Jim Canada
The various DJI go apps have been totally reliable over the past 4 years on 3 different DJI drones. any problems I experienced were a result of mis management of the iPad itself.

That is a great recommendation. Would Waypoint missions work for roof inspections? Small area Waypoints flying back and forth at low altitudes over a roof. I bought the Mavic-2 Zoom to be able to fly higher over the roofs using the Zoom.

If I put the Litchi app on my drone, does it replace the DJI app or are both apps available?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Jim
For roof inspections you might want to look into Hammer. iOS only though.

Chris

My iPad Pro has 256 gigs of RAM.
Uhhh .... I don't think so. RAM = Random Access Memory - memory stored at runtime - the analogy is RAM are the cylinders of an automobile engine that is producing energey real time.... 256 gigs of storage is the stuff in boxes in the basement.

No iPad products have 256gigs of RAM - 12, 48 or 64 is 'bout what you'll be seeing for the time being ...

Apple doesn't really talk about RAM much at all for whatever reason. I dug this up about the iPad 102. (2019 edition)
If you were wondering how much RAM was inside the 2019 iPad, developer Steve Troughton-Smith has continued to dig within Xcode, to note there’s 3GB of RAM, a 1GB upgrade compared to last year’s sixth-generation iPad. With 3GB of RAM, the 10.2-inch iPad now has the same as Apple’s current 10.5-inch iPad Air, which launched earlier this March.

Back to replacing Litchi completely... IIRC there are some very basic settings that only DJI Go can manipulate or that used to be the case but we use Litchi almost exclusively unless we are making Maps etc then we use specialized aps for those tasks.

A few months ago I decided to do a comparison between DJI Go 4 and Litchi AS I SEE IT. If either software package had a feature, I would give that feature a score of 2. If the other software had a similar feature but was, IN MY OPINION, not as good, I would give a score of 1. Here is what it looked like to me. If I have made any errors, let me know but keep in mind, this is how I evaluated these programs. I have to say, I was pretty surprised that there was such a large disparity. Another thing, not scored. As you can see by my Signature, I have two drones. I can fly both of them with Litchi but cannot fly both of them with DJI software.

Attachments

• DJI Go 4 vs Litchi.pdf
    37.9 KB · Views: 405
A few months ago I decided to do a comparison between DJI Go 4 and Litchi AS I SEE IT. If either software package had a feature, I would give that feature a score of 2. If the other software had a similar feature but was, IN MY OPINION, not as good, I would give a score of 1. Here is what it looked like to me. If I have made any errors, let me know but keep in mind, this is how I evaluated these programs. I have to say, I was pretty surprised that there was such a large disparity. Another thing, not scored. As you can see by my Signature, I have two drones. I can fly both of them with Litchi but cannot fly both of them with DJI software.
Thank you for the comparison. Good reference PDF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic