Do you use a Phantom 3 Adv/Pro to take indoor videos?

Reaction score
I was thinking about trying to put together a really good video for an upcoming family reunion. I could get great video outdoors using my P3 Adv but what about indoors (in a large home)?

Is the P3 Adv to difficult to use for indoor video or do you guys use a different type drone to get great indoor HD videos? If so what drone do you guys recommend for this?

Thanks in advance!

what about indoors (in a large home)?
This sounds like a dangerous idea, but you might be able to pull it off safely if you use prop guards.

We've shot lots of INDOOR stuff with our P3P but . . . it was all shot holding the aircraft (motors not running). Not nearly as "Cool" as indoor aerials but what I've learned is indoor flying brings new hazards AND new levels of turbulent air. The aircraft isn't nearly as smooth and steady as outdoors and any movements are amplified on video. Remember you probably won't have GPS signal so you'll be "flying the aircraft" and you'll be dealing with swirling nasty air coming from the aircraft from all directions.

We shoot Realtor videos and sometimes they want the appearance of "flying" in the front door and into living space. We accomplish this by holding the aircraft and walking it as if it were flying. It's turned out nice and they've been happy.

Indoor + people = bad Drone publicity

*Edit - Added comment below*

The Phantom puts off a LOT more wind than you realize and inside it's magnified and will blow stuff around more than you would think.... napkins, pictures, curtains, balloons, posters, signs, cups.... EVERYWHERE! Also if you get close to a wall or large structure the air will go DOWN from the aircraft but hit the wall and go UP and back into the aircraft (recirculating the air) so if you happen to kick up dust/dirt/trash/napkins be mindful as they could get pulled into the props in the blink of an eye.....

We've shot lots of INDOOR stuff with our P3P but . . . it was all shot holding the aircraft (motors not running). Not nearly as "Cool" as indoor aerials but what I've learned is indoor flying brings new hazards AND new levels of turbulent air. The aircraft isn't nearly as smooth and steady as outdoors and any movements are amplified on video. Remember you probably won't have GPS signal so you'll be "flying the aircraft" and you'll be dealing with swirling nasty air coming from the aircraft from all directions.

We shoot Realtor videos and sometimes they want the appearance of "flying" in the front door and into living space. We accomplish this by holding the aircraft and walking it as if it were flying. It's turned out nice and they've been happy.

Indoor + people = bad Drone publicity

*Edit - Added comment below*

The Phantom puts off a LOT more wind than you realize and inside it's magnified and will blow stuff around more than you would think.... napkins, pictures, curtains, balloons, posters, signs, cups.... EVERYWHERE! Also if you get close to a wall or large structure the air will go DOWN from the aircraft but hit the wall and go UP and back into the aircraft (recirculating the air) so if you happen to kick up dust/dirt/trash/napkins be mindful as they could get pulled into the props in the blink of an eye.....

Thanks for the info! When you hold the drone for indoor videos, how do you keep it steady so it gets smooth video while walking, rotating, etc? Does the gimbal make it smooth while walking, going up steps, etc?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info! When you hold the drone for indoor videos, how do you keep it steady so it gets smooth video while walking, rotating, etc? Does the gimbal make it smooth while walking, going up steps, etc?

Thanks again!

My "Visual Observer/Safety Officer" (aka wife) does the holding. She walks smooth and steady and yes the gimbal does a great job. It took a couple of trial & errors to get the feel for it but we've had great results with it. We shot some Realtor videos and even one Golf Course/Realty commercial like this. I will say this... when shooting INSIDE with the P3P you want very good lighting because it's made for outdoors where light is usually VERY bright so we learned to use a LOT of interior lights to get good results.

Have seen some here use these .
s-l1600.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.