Do most of you have insurance?

I have my P4P insured through State Farm for the purchase price on my receipt ($1350+tax) for $30/year with no deductible. I'm in Iowa. Liability would be covered through my homeowners policy, with I'm assuming the standard $1000 deductible.

Insurance is always separate for commercial versus private use. I have equipment I use with my photography business and it is covered when working for clients. If I were to take underwater photo gear anywhere it is not being used for commercial purposes and I need to have it covered under my homeowner insurance.

For my commercial work I have a separate liability insurance policy for $2 million and it is from a third insurance broker. I pay more to have the broker for the liability policy to provide an "additional insured" document stating that a particular client is also covered. If someone was injured by me or my people or equipment the injured individual and their attorney is likely to sue me but also the client, going after the "deep pockets" whenever possible. That is why the client company usually wants to be specified as being insured as well. What you are really buying is a policy to cover the legal costs involved as win or lose the attorneys get their money.

I just called Nationwide, my home owners policy, I'm covered!!

You'd better make sure it's not just covered from damage or theft at your home, but you are covered if you are out flying it on a sunny day and you hit a building, drop it in a lake or it decides to leave you and flies off.

I have the P4P insured through State Farm for $30 a year. None on the Mavic. I lost my P4 twice, and the Pro once. Got them back all three times. First time was a malfunction. DJI send me a new P4, and I got to keep the old one. Second time a dog walker picked it up, while I was plotting it's path on a map. I posted a reward and he called me. Didn't want the reward either. The sun was on the screen, and I had a hard time seeing it. My error. The third time was with the P4P. It tried to land in the river at 13% battery. I panicked and flew it into the shore. We saw the battery first. It came out of the drone. The drone was in some brush. Having it insured gave me some piece of mine. It took us about three hours to find it. The amazing thing is the drones where never damaged. The P4/P4P are tough drone. I am extremely careful. I don't think the Mavic could take much abuse.

I have the DJI insurance but have not needed it yet. Has anyone used the DJI insurance? How was the service and did you get a new bird in return or just get it fixed?

If you just need good basic hobby insurance, join AMA and you get insurance included. For Part 107, you can use Verifly for occasional use, or purchase a yearly policy from Global Aerospace.
That's liabilty only, and not drone replacement insurance. This thread is getting very confusing. Apples and oranges. The State Farm "Personal Articles Policy" is not for liabilty, but solely for drone replacement, and is not available to CA residents. AMA only provides a limited liability policy included with membership, and they only cover you if you have followed every one of their Rules, with tons of exclusions.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, the thread is talking about 1st party coverage for damage to drone itself. The AMA is not offering this type of insurance. They offer liability coverage.

I have AMA nsurance.

For $75.00 a year if my drone flys out of control and drops on people on the ground, I'm covered with 2 million in medical bills and court cost, if I am sued

I have AMA nsurance.

For $75.00 a year if my drone flys out of control and drops on people on the ground, I'm covered with 2 million in medical bills and court cost, if I am sued
Good luck trying to collect, unless you were explicitly following every single one of the AMA flying "Rules." Read the fine print and the exclusions. If any rule was broken, no coverage! "Free" insurance with membership means they don't pay out on very many claims! :D

I have an umbrella policy that covers my liability. I want drone insurance.:)

I have AMA nsurance.

Again, that is liability insurance... not 1st party coverage that was being discussed in this thread. They are two completely different things.

That's liabilty only, and not drone replacement insurance. This thread is getting very confusing. Apples and oranges. The State Farm "Personal Articles Policy" is not for liabilty, but solely for drone replacement, and is not available to CA residents. AMA only provides a limited liability policy included with membership, and they only cover you if you have followed every one of their Rules, with tons of exclusions.
I belong to ama and have been for years.
while flying my free flight I caught the end of my thumb with the engine turning about 32000 rpm.
next stop was the er.
two stitches in the end of my thumb.
I contacted ama about this er bill.
ama told me to put it through my health care provider and ama would pay what the health care provider didn't.
nice way of getting out of paying.

Reactions: Yooper
I belong to ama and have been for years.
while flying my free flight I caught the end of my thumb with the engine turning about 32000 rpm.
next stop was the er.
two stitches in the end of my thumb.
I contacted ama about this er bill.
ama told me to put it through my health care provider and ama would pay what the health care provider didn't.
nice way of getting out of paying.
I am surprised they would cover injuries to you as the pilot at all. It is supposed to be a liability policy for damages to others, in case you are sued. Most people don't sue themselves. ;)

I am surprised they would cover injuries to you as the pilot at all. It is supposed to be a liability policy for damages to others, in case you are sued. Most people don't sue themselves. ;)
Actually, they cover liability, fire, medical, and theft. There's a $750 deductible and tops out at $25,000 for medical ($10,000 for dismemberment or death). It's documented on their web site here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers