Do I need P4P polarizing filters?

Reaction score
Before I buy filters for my new P4P2 I’d appreciate some advice. In bright Florida sun and flying Mavic Pro near/over the ocean & lakes a lot, I’ve almost always used PolarPro’s ND32/PL. I’ve been happy with the results but I don’t know how non-polarizing ND would look. Recommendations, please!

Before I buy filters for my new P4P2 I’d appreciate some advice. In bright Florida sun and flying Mavic Pro near/over the ocean & lakes a lot, I’ve almost always used PolarPro’s ND32/PL. I’ve been happy with the results but I don’t know how non-polarizing ND would look. Recommendations, please!
An ND filter won't do anything for the look of your photos or videos.
It reduces the amount of light without changing anything else so the only effect it will have it to make you shoot at a slower shutter speed.
And a polarising filter is very tricky to use properly on a drone.
To work properly, you have to align the filter in the right direction relative to the sun,
If you change the direction that the drone is facing, te filter is no longer aligned correctly and isn't working properly.

Reactions: smiller
An ND filter won't do anything for the look of your photos or videos.
It reduces the amount of light without changing anything else so the only effect it will have it to make you shoot at a slower shutter speed.
And a polarising filter is very tricky to use properly on a drone.
To work properly, you have to align the filter in the right direction relative to the sun,
If you change the direction that the drone is facing, te filter is no longer aligned correctly and isn't working properly.
I'm going to bite the bullet on filters. There are a number of options and bundles and in the end I'm probably going to end up using just one or two.

Anxious to see some other pilots weigh in as to what they purchased and what they are using the most.

I have the P4P and I bought a set of the Polar Pro ND filters (4,8,16). They are life savers when it comes to shooting mid day or even late afternoon/early evening. Mid-day I use the 8 and for the afternoon/evening shots I use the 4.

Reactions: LarBear360
Sandmarc ND. Must use ND filter. It's not really optional when you desire proper video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Ripper7620
I use Polar Pro ND8-16PL, and shoot almost exclusively over water during daylight hours. The ND16PL is right at the edge of what the aperture can do during bright sun and in D-log.

There is a lot of reflected light off of both water and green foliage and a polarizing filter will help more than a ND filter. Polarizing filters are most effective when the sun is at a 90 degree angle to the direction in which the camera is pointed. There is also the problem of fall-off with a very wide angle lens with there being less polarization at the edges of the frame.

Reactions: Paul2660
There is a lot of reflected light off of both water and green foliage and a polarizing filter will help more than a ND filter. Polarizing filters are most effective when the sun is at a 90 degree angle to the direction in which the camera is pointed. There is also the problem of fall-off with a very wide angle lens with there being less polarization at the edges of the frame.

Excellent paragraph and description of a CLPL.

The effect it can make on foliage due to the light reflection issues is huge. And glare on rocks near water.

Paul Caldwell

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
I just picked these up from Best buy. Worked pretty good.
efd02ae6567c9aaca271070a433d4297.jpg

Polar Pro ND16 is my goto for bright Texas sun to keep me at 4.5 f-stop. Dawn or twilight sometimes means lower ND or none at all. I haven't used my polarizers yet but will for big water scenes to cut down reflections (if that's the look I'm going for).

Over the weekend was the first time I used a ND 16. I have always used an 8. It was noon sun, so I liked the 16. 4k 30fps, iso I think was at 200, shutter 60 and 5.4 aperture. I also shot in d-cinelike for the first time and while I liked it, I don't really like futzing in post so I may switch back to true color. The other footage was the osmo mobile 2. Needless to say, noon sun on the water without a ND filter, game over. Have to use one always.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Why should I have all the collection? Because of the aperture that I can change on P4P may be it's good to have only ND8/PL single filter.

Why should I have all the collection? Because of the aperture that I can change on P4P may be it's good to have only ND8/PL single filter.
You should always attempt to get to the "sweet spot" of the lens aperture. Doing that (with the correct shutter & 100 ISO) requires sometimes using different NDs depending on the amount of sunshine.

Reactions: Ripper7620 and GPA7
I've never used a 4. When would you use that?

Reactions: Ripper7620
I've never used a 4. When would you use that?
I think the ND4 is almost a waste of time and money, I'd rather they sold kits of just ND8-16, and lowered the price. The only time I might use one is right before a thunder storm with dark storm clouds for video, but even in that circumstance, I was able to get by with an ND8.

Excellent paragraph and description of a CLPL.

The effect it can make on foliage due to the light reflection issues is huge. And glare on rocks near water.

Would have to agree on all points, including a distinction between circular and linear polarizers. I feel there's a tendency to over-prescribe ND filters to eliminate glare/ reflection. Certainly, ND filters have their place but, I feel that a CPL is far more effective at reducing reflection and glare with fewer drawbacks than ND filters. After all, that's exactly what they're designed to do. Just my two cents.

If it weren't for the aerodynamic issues, a French flag is badly needed by this camera. Whenever incident light from the sun hits the lens, it cuts the contrast drastically. In cinematography, we use matte boxes and flags to keep incident light off the lens.
Even a roll core from a roll of electrical tape, slipped over the camera, might help, but flight speeds would have to be very low to avoid turbulence.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31