Neewer 4 Piece PL/ND Filter Set

Reaction score
I've been shooting about a month with the: Neewer 4 piece PL/ND set
I'm very happy with these combination ND/PL Filters so far. I was skeptical purchasing the kit as the price is much more affordable for a 4-Piece set than the other 'big name' ND Filter manufacturers. I've had some experience with Neewer products and found them to be high quality for the price.
Plan to experiment with the Polarizing dials to see what fits your taste for the conditions.
When shooting in bright sunlight we're likely to see shutter speeds of maybe 800-1200 (or even higher!) This is WAY too high for nice looking video capture and results in 'choppy' footage (like a series of crisp, single still images strung together) lacking an important, natural motion blur.
This is also something that you will want to experiment with to find what suits you best, but I will share my choices from my use and experience:
ND-4 - (about 2 stops) best for early sunrise/late sunset or full cloud cover conditions where sunlight is indirect
ND-8 - (about 3 stops) best for partly cloudy conditions or bright hazy overcast
ND-16 - (about 4 stops) best for bright, full sun conditions
ND-32 - (about 5 stops) best for very bright, full sun conditions with high glare (water, snow)
I color correct or grade every photo/video that I shoot. This is where the ND filters shine if you have your P3 camera settings dialed-in.
I've attached three still photo's I've recently shot in different lighting conditions as examples (all using these filters.) There are some that say you cannot shoot good still photo's when using ND filters on the P3 camera. I will let you be the judge.
RhinelanderSunset.jpg
HouseRear004.jpg
MequonSkyScapeMay.jpg

I was skeptical purchasing the kit as the price is much more affordable for a 4-Piece set than the other 'big name' ND Filter manufacturers.
I tested a bunch of ND filters in this thread and found the video/photo quality between them is pretty close. There are some other things to consider though -- like the weight of the filter, size, shape, ease of attaching/detaching, and types of filters available by each manufacturer. If you're only concerned about the video/photo quality though, then you can pretty much go with any filter on the market.

I have to say they're great photos you have there, well done.
But at £75 in the UK ($110) I think I probably get very similar performance from the set of filters that collegegeezer produces at Cheap Drone Lens Filters at $20 (£14) but each to their own...

I have to say they're great photos you have there, well done.
But at £75 in the UK ($110) I think I probably get very similar performance from the set of filters that collegegeezer produces at Cheap Drone Lens Filters at $20 (£14) but each to their own...
Thank you Numone. I was just commenting on the statements I've heard that you cannot capture decent still pictures with ND filters on the P3 camera. And I agree with Msinger above: nearly any ND filter will get the job done. It's a matter of preference, features, and your price point. The Neewer kit also has adjustable polarizers built-in, which is something else that I wanted. $50 for the only 4 ND filters I will need made my decision for me.

Reactions: Numone
Your photos are great AerialZ, these filters look the biz. However as mentioned by Numone, we here in the UK are the whipping boys of world trade £75 ($110) here versus $60 in the US - not fair or funny. I'd buy these in a heartbeat if the price was comparable. This being said, it's clear that in the right hands, PL / ND filters are a solid way of improving raw footage.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: AerialZ
So after 8 months of summer (ish photography) I'm most interested to see how ArialZ has got on with his filters (and anyone else).

I'm having some of these as a Christmas gift for my P4, they fit fine and I can also say the price in the UK has come down a lot from what has been stated above (now under £50).

Any comments would be much appreciated.

I just ordered these and was wondering if the gimbal guard will still go on with one of these on the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I just ordered these and was wondering if the gimbal guard will still go on with one of these on the camera.
No, the gimbal guard does not work with these ND filters when installed. I would fabricate one out of foam if you're concerned about the gimbal flopping around during transport if you do not have a hard case.

So after 8 months of summer (ish photography) I'm most interested to see how ArialZ has got on with his filters (and anyone else).

Still working fine on my P3, although they may not see much action with the arrival of the P4P. :D

The P3 has been an excellent bird and a workhorse for me. I'm hoping the P4P holds-up anywhere near like this trusted tool has for me.

No, the gimbal guard does not work with these ND filters when installed. I would fabricate one out of foam if you're concerned about the gimbal flopping around during transport if you do not have a hard case.

Thanks for the answer.

Do you consider the foam case the P4 came in a "hard case"?

Thanks. You don't install a guard when it's in that case? Also, is that custom? Also, you don't have enough batteries!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks. You don't install a guard when it's in that case? Also, is that custom? Also, you don't have enough batteries!

Not always, no. That's the CaseClub 'props on' hardcase for the P3. When the A/C is sitting in the case, the bottom of the camera is supported by the foam so the gimbal is not moving. I highly recommend this case. I shoot professionally and it has taken a real beating all year through all different types of terrains. I like it so much, I bought another one for the new arrival P4P.

Yes, batteries are a must when you're shooting 5-6 real estate jobs in a day or on location for a longer project.

I appreciate the info and I'll look into the case for my growing repertoire of accessories. My wife, who genuinely surprised the crap out of me with the P4 for Christmas is an avid amazon deal shopper and grabbed me a kit that came with 2 batteries and a backpack style case that encloses the foam case it came in.

My wife is also an avid shopper for homes and I'm surprised she doesn't see more listings that have aerial shots of the property. I was showing one realtor some of the footage and they were interested enough to ask me to give them a call when I've passed part 107.

I appreciate the info and I'll look into the case for my growing repertoire of accessories. My wife, who genuinely surprised the crap out of me with the P4 for Christmas is an avid amazon deal shopper and grabbed me a kit that came with 2 batteries and a backpack style case that encloses the foam case it came in.

My wife is also an avid shopper for homes and I'm surprised she doesn't see more listings that have aerial shots of the property. I was showing one realtor some of the footage and they were interested enough to ask me to give them a call when I've passed part 107.
You've got a great wife there! :)
The industry is still in it's infancy and many realty professionals haven't caught-on to the importance of aerial perspectives in the properties they represent. Those wishing to make a living with aerial photography/videography have a great opportunity. My advice to you is spend every available moment preparing yourself. Study hard for your 107 test and practice, practice, practice on those sticks. Present the best deliverable you can to your clients and watch that customer service grow your business exponentially. No marketing dollar can match word of mouth, and you would be surprised how realty professionals talk among one another... I can tell you that first hand. Be the 'go-to' guy in aerial work and you will become the go-to!

Reactions: MCTV
And a thumbs up from my wife too, she appreciated the compliment.

I agree there's a lot of potential and I was surprised when a local realtor said "Oh I'll call 'so and so' about that house across the state."

I've done a cursory look at the study guide and I'm going to dive in starting this weekend.

Finally, to bring this back on topic: My filters will be here on Wednesday so I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Two other questions:

I've read some folks talking about the additional weight stressing the gimbal motor - even mention of a counterweight. Is this a concern with these filters?

There was mention of a rubber seal ring when you take off the factory lens. What's your take?

Thanks!

I've done a cursory look at the study guide and I'm going to dive in starting this weekend.

Pay special attention to the following things for your test prep...
  • Weather - learn your METARS and TAFS
  • Airspace - Understand classes and how they are laid-out
  • VFR Sectional charts - you need to be able to read these like a regular map
  • Watch out for trick questions! ;)
Two other questions:

I've read some folks talking about the additional weight stressing the gimbal motor - even mention of a counterweight. Is this a concern with these filters?

I've had no issues at all with these filters attached.

There was mention of a rubber seal ring when you take off the factory lens. What's your take?

The one that is on the factory UV lens should stay with the factory lens. I cannot remember for certain, but I believe the NEEWER ND's have one with each lens. Either way, they should screw on snug. I've never had one even close to unscrewing itself.

If you have never removed the factory lens, here's an important tip...
take a rubber band and wrap it around the lens barrel. When you go to unscrew it, DON'T SQUEEZE while you unscrew. You're using the rubber band solely to create friction while you lightly twist off. The harder you squeeze, the more difficult it will become to unscrew. This has messed quite a few people up that thought their lenses were impossible to remove.

I've had that trouble with my first polarizing filter on one of my Canon lenses. I was squeezing the heck out of it and it would only budge with a light touch. I didn't see anything in the reviews about a weight issue, but I just wanted to make doubly sure.

I appreciate the testing tips. I read that I should schedule the test asap and I've only called one place in my area but the number was invalid. Tried one a little further away and got lost in menu land. I'm sure I'll have questions once I really start digging in.

Thanks again for the info!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl